270soft Forum

New York State 2010

People highly mistake New York. I am from the state, I would know this stuff.

New York isn't like Massachusetts.

Upstate New York should not be the same as New York City. While it should be an uphill battle for the Republicans, very few people have won Spitzer like victories.

A few impressions/suggestions:

If enabled, Michael Bloomberg should be stronger. I believe I saw a poll that showed him beating Paterson (or maybe it was pre-scandal Spitzer, I don't remember) by a fairly substantial amount. That was in a 1 vs. 1 election though. Anyways, my guess would be that in a three party election, he would be closely trailing the Democrats, with the Republicans far behind. That's not based on anything but my gut feeling, though.

This is a little nitpicky, but Chuck Schumer should be set to off by default, IMO. He's very comfortable in the Senate and as the head of the DSCC. In fact, he'll probably make a bid for majority leader if Reid steps down for some reason.

Thanks for the scenario!

On November 6, 2007, the New York Post detailed efforts by New York Republicans to recruit Bloomberg to oppose then-incumbent Governor Eliot Spitzer in the 2010 election. Early polls indicated Bloomberg would defeat Spitzer in a landslide.

Here

A March 20, 2008 poll of New York State voters had the Mayor topping newly ascended Governor David Paterson and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani for the 2010 gubernatorial election.

Here

Hope this helps. :)

first off.

Play the scenario, and watch it develop. Dont just make judgements based on what you see in turn 1. Anyone who has played the game with Bloomberg on will see that whilst teh parties are fighting over nomination, his percentages steadily increase until its a virtual tie going into the general, the the reublicans well behind.

Ive also read an awfull lot of news and opinion peices that say Shumer wants the job. If you dont want him in the game... turn... him... off...

I labour to make this point on the forums again... because it doesnt seem to get through.

P4E+P is a g.a.m.e. If people want to use it as a real to lofe election simulator (no offence theorysparK) it is seriously lacking. However, as a game, it is fantastic. it is also great in that they let you make your own scenarios to extend the products shelf life, and i make them for fun, and for others to have fun. I do not make them to track elections, model polls or anything else.

If you do want to do these things, then by all means, tweak my scenario to your hearts content.

Sorry to be blunt, but theres fun, and then theres mind chillingly annoying accuracy.

first off.

Play the scenario, and watch it develop. Dont just make judgements based on what you see in turn 1. Anyone who has played the game with Bloomberg on will see that whilst teh parties are fighting over nomination, his percentages steadily increase until its a virtual tie going into the general, the the reublicans well behind.

Ive also read an awfull lot of news and opinion peices that say Shumer wants the job. If you dont want him in the game... turn... him... off...

Will do. Once again, thanks for the scenario.

People highly mistake New York. I am from the state, I would know this stuff.

New York isn't like Massachusetts.

Upstate New York should not be the same as New York City. While it should be an uphill battle for the Republicans, very few people have won Spitzer like victories.

I am from New York too and I can certainly say that New York is very democratic, including upstate too. Chuck Shumer won nearly all of the counties in 1998 when he ran for Senate and in 2004 when he was reelected. When Hillary Clinton nearly took all the counties too in 2000 and 2006 when she ran. So yes it would definitely be an uphill battle for the republicans. Not too mention that with a very strong anti-republican sentiment growing in New York republicans would have a much harder time getting elected to statewide offices.

I also think that this scenario is great and have enjoyed playing it many times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...