270soft Forum

here are some ideas that I was thinking about that could really improve game play. I don't want anyone to think am trying to be racial but race is playing a role in the democratic race this year proven by the turn out in MS. while 90% of blacks support Obama at same time Clinton carried 75% of the white vote there. Now with those # you can't tell race is not an issues in this race. so here my idea: you know how you have age, male, title, etc well should also have option with race of the candidate. and you can break that down in to the state by the %. Like Texas for instant could have 40% Hispanic 30% white 20% blacks etc this could be put in the political unit file below each state population.

on another note I think the debates could be done better. I don't like how all the candidates can be in separate state but yet have a debate. I think the debates should have to be in state and those candidates involved in the debate should have to commit to visiting that state on the day of the debate like you did in 2000 vision of president forever. Also i think there should be option to turn down the debate too these are just few of my ideas.

Yes, I like the idea of racial voting as well. If the same thing could also be done for religions that would be great, so that we can put in a certain amount of secularism in a state and show how Evangelicals went flocking to Huckabee and were fearing Romney.

Too complex for the current iteration of the game, maybe P4Ever 2012.

Breaking down voters into different constituents would also require the engine be altered to have new features to interact with the new modifiers. In my wet dream, we would have an election game where we can design and model individual voters as well as breaking down states to the smallest districts and counties, but I doubt TheorySpark has the time, money, resources, or reason to do such a game.

I'd prefer to see alterations that would allow for straight-up popular vote elections being simmed, as well as being allowed to change the Electoral College from Winner-Take-All to proportional.

That is, I believe those should be the priorities. Adding further variables into the polling for each region (race, religion, ideology, etc.) would add immense detail and complexity to the game, and would be nice. But just giving us more flexibility on how elections are won would be a big plus and probably easier to implement.

Race and religion are both instances of "identity politics". It would be relatively straightforward to add variables like these to the electorate, the problem is deciding what to do with them after that. It's noted, though.

Well you could also add something to each candidate that could reflect their relative % of support in certain demographics, hence allowing for better simulations.

Well you could also add something to each candidate that could reflect their relative % of support in certain demographics, hence allowing for better simulations.

Yes, but then you would need interactive features that target such demographics.

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned an idea for P4E 2004 which could also work for P4E2008+P.

Rate each candidate on the following aspects of their background/personnality on a scale of -3 to +3:

Religious/Secular

Articulate/Down to Earth

White/Multicultral

That way you don't just give the candidate a rating for charisma but you also have a way of describing that persons background.

Then you 'describe' each state along the same lines and how well a candidate 'matches' the state influences their starting polls and the effectiveness of their campaign in that state.

E.G.

So Bush might be -1 (church goer), +2 (Comes accross as ordinary American), 0 (Southerner but speaks spannish).

And Kerry's more of a secular, articulate ethnic minority-friendly candidate: +1,-1,+1

New York might be:

+1 A fairly secular state

-1 They like articulate politicians who don't wear cowboy hats in a stock exchange.

+1 The KKK isn't as strong there as in Alabama lol.

So Bush missmatches this state by 6 and Kerry fits the state like a glove. (0) This would influence starting polls and the effectiveness of barnstorming.

Georgia however is a religious, 'say it like it is' sourthern state: -1,+1,0. Bush is out by 1 while Kerry looks out of place in these parts by a rating of 5.

It would actually work in avery similar way to the differing issue centres for each state. But rather than someone just having a charisma rating of '3', you can describe the candidate in a programable way to show that what goes down well on a ranch in Texas might not look so good on the streets of New York and vice versa.

Sounds good. But you don't have an accurate view on race.

Whites have voted for Hillary and Obama, and given them a majority in different states. Blacks on the other hand are going nearly 90% for Obama, just look at Virgina.

Sounds good. But you don't have an accurate view on race.

Whites have voted for Hillary and Obama, and given them a majority in different states. Blacks on the other hand are going nearly 90% for Obama, just look at Virgina.

But what does that change?

This isn't exactly the same, but you can make each of these areas into an issue, and then set regional issue centers, while giving each candidate their issue 'position'.

Exactly, this is something I do in my scenarios with, for example, "National Unity" being a Quebec/Western support axis, and "Regional Development" or "Fisheries" being an Atlantic Canadian support barometer (For example, Preston Manning is waaaay off, and attackable on it, while the PCs and Liberals are OK).