270soft Forum

Australia 2007 - Beta Scenario Released!

Hey everybody,

You can download the new Australia 2007 Beta scenario here, made for Prime Minister Forever - Australia:

http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/202987-..._Beta_v1000.zip

To install, download the file to your desktop. Then unzip it to the right folder (right-click, Open With, Compressed (zipped) Folders, copy the Australia - 2007 - Beta folder, paste it into your Prime Minister Forever - Australia scenarios folder).

Any feedback appreciated,

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Seriously, folks, any feedback?

Specifically I'd note advertising & general funds, marginal seats, and can the Coalition mount a comeback? Smaller areas might be newspaper headlines, and relative ratings of the leaders, and issue positions/descriptions.

In my games I was unable to win as the Coalition, though I'll freely admit I'm much better at P4E+P than the Prime Minister games. Therefore I'm very curious if a better player can win as the Coalition, because I feel that there should be an outside chance.

If there isn't an outside chance the marginals have to be tweaked to be tighter.

I pulled off a coalition win at the last minute 84-66 (counting the nats).

However, I think the issues need to be revamped and reworked. Plus the regionalism was a bit screwy this time around. I liked the 2004 regionalism a lot.

Well I just won 99 seats as Ruddie, and defeated John Howard in his home constituency.

• Upvote 1
However, I think the issues need to be revamped and reworked.

Plus the regionalism was a bit screwy this time around. I liked the 2004 regionalism a lot.

They are revamped and reworked as it is, but I'm not Australian so absolutely I could be missing finer detail. However there's a very limited amount of words I can put into an issue's description, and if you have suggestions they do need to be kind of specific.

Regionalism on the issues (and if so, where)? Because in the poll sense, with a partial exception for Queensland/Western Australia, it looks like a very solid Rudd victory with issues (outside of WorkChoices, perhaps) mattering little against the 'time for a change' meme.

It is nice to hear a good player can get a Coalition victory, though and thanks for the feedback.

Looks like it.

PM Canada has (and PM Australia doesn't have):

• Play any of up to 16 political parties
  • Enhanced regional and national endorser system
  • Increased targeting: Divert logistical and financial resources from the main campaign for local campaigns
  • More dirty tricks: Send your enemy's campaign into a spiral and watch their morale collapse

woo! noticed that the aus election game is up. i can't wait to play! will give some feedback after a few games. hopefully as an aussie i can provide some insightful feed back.

just a quick edit. the australian labor party has a revamp its logo since the past election and needs to be updated.

thanks Anthony,

on first playing I think the beta seems to catch the flavour of the current race quite well, it certainly is [and should be] hard for the coalition to win and the general sort of result [without doing anything odd or extreme - or 'cheating'] i get is alp around 93 to 98 seats which is not bad for the game [personally i think in the election they'll get between 88 and 91 though I would love to see them head towards 100]...

i don't suppose the market is there for an upgraded game engine - it would have been nice to play with the additional features of the UK or canadian game - but the old australian game [and therefore this scenario] has the benefit of being the quickest and easiest of all the pm/pres forever games and is the one i play most often for relaxation...

as small points on the scenario i think it is too easy for ALP to gain major traction in WA and on lesser scale SA shifts too easily to ALP leading/winning 10 or 11 of the 11 seats

on the other hand non-metro QLD is too pro coalition [particularly the nats] and ought to swing more to ALP

the game does capture the tension between the greens and labour but not the tensions within the coalition? is this possible?

and is it possible, given the underlying engine won't change, to add family first to the parties?

the issues seem reasonable but wonder if there could be a 'its time/new ideas/fresh faces' catch all as well as the usual leadership/experience/integrity?

all the same, thank you for the scenario!

and though i know the answer i still hope you will someday provide some historical scenarios [1975 would be top of my list, i could die happy if i could get whitlam to win in a realistic scenario]

leopold

i don't suppose the market is there for an upgraded game engine - it would have been nice to play with the additional features of the UK or canadian game - but the old australian game [and therefore this scenario] has the benefit of being the quickest and easiest of all the pm/pres forever games and is the one i play most often for relaxation...

I imagine an updated Prime Minister Forever (my pet name for it Commonwealth Forever, so as to include say Australia/UK/Canada/NZ—thought that may be too much to ask for) would include Australia. However I doubt it's an anytime soon thing.

as small points on the scenario i think it is too easy for ALP to gain major traction in WA and on lesser scale SA shifts too easily to ALP leading/winning 10 or 11 of the 11 seats. On the other hand non-metro QLD is too pro coalition [particularly the nats] and ought to swing more to ALP

Ok, so strengthen Liberals in WA, weaker Labor in SA, and strengthen Labor in non-metro QLD?

I can gave that a playtest or two.

the game does capture the tension between the greens and labour but not the tensions within the coalition? is this possible?

Not really, but I could add a couple newspaper headlines so that the appearance of in-fighting is maintained :).

and is it possible, given the underlying engine won't change, to add family first to the parties?

Nope. PMF Australia only supports four parties.

the issues seem reasonable but wonder if there could be a 'its time/new ideas/fresh faces' catch all as well as the usual leadership/experience/integrity?

It could be done, but another issue would have to be ditched.

Thanks for the feedback!

I imagine an updated Prime Minister Forever (my pet name for it Commonwealth Forever, so as to include say Australia/UK/Canada/NZ—thought that may be too much to ask for) would include Australia. However I doubt it's an anytime soon thing.

Ok, so strengthen Liberals in WA, weaker Labor in SA, and strengthen Labor in non-metro QLD?

I can gave that a playtest or two.

Not really, but I could add a couple newspaper headlines so that the appearance of in-fighting is maintained :).

Nope. PMF Australia only supports four parties.

It could be done, but another issue would have to be ditched.

Thanks for the feedback!

i think it would be worth dropping one of the other issues to allow for the 'time for a change' issue - after all this underlies the current alp campaign and probably will underpin the actual result [if labor win]... maybe ditch nuclear power?

on the state suggestions i think i mean that in wa and sa it seems to easy for labour to gain but the initial strength settings seem right to me so it isn't a question of boosting the coalition - i think how ever regionalism works [?] means labour gains more in wa and sa in response to barnstorming/tv adds etc. than other states [esp. qld where i do think the scenario underestimates how strong labor is with rudd as leader] - i would be surprised if real election didn't see alp gaining 10 seats in qld as a whole...

shame about family first but i understand...

in the end i am just grateful that there is scenario for 2007!

on the state suggestions i think i mean that in wa and sa it seems to easy for labour to gain but the initial strength settings seem right to me so it isn't a question of boosting the coalition - i think how ever regionalism works [?] means labour gains more in wa and sa in response to barnstorming/tv adds etc. than other states [esp. qld where i do think the scenario underestimates how strong labor is with rudd as leader] - i would be surprised if real election didn't see alp gaining 10 seats in qld as a whole...

Ah, ok. Hmm. Perhaps upping the number of committed voters on a state-by-state basis. Regardless, the polls are showing the ALP might well get close to 100 seats so it's not out of the realm of possibility for Labor to do as well as they do in-game. 14%+ swings in some areas is crazy large.

I did seat-by-seat polling as much as possible, and then I relied on Green's election swing calculator on a state-by-state basis, falling back to national swings only when I couldn't get good state polling. However I stepped back in certain cases from the massive swings the polls were reporting in places like Queensland in the assumption that the Coalition couldn't continue to do that poorly… I may have been wrong on that front.

However increasing Labor much more could make it simply impossible for the Coalition to win, and that would render the scenario kinda pointless. So it's a tough balance to keep.

just a note to say that you can definitely win as the coalition.

i just played my first game as the coalition after several with labor. i managed to trounce the alp, they performed even worse under rudd than under latham in this scenario.. the libs got 87 seats and the nats 12, so a combined coaltion vote of 99/150. that left the alp battered and bruised with just 51. a performance i certainly hope isn't repeated in the actual poll!!

i'm also suprised by the lack of 'union influnce' as an issue. it's practically one of the most significant issues of the campaign with a lot liberal advertising focusing on the perceived union influence over the alp.

Playing as the Liberals is extremely tough. Because the Nationals do not contest every electorate the Liberals are up against Labor and the Greens. Labor seems to receive 70% of the Greens first preferences. Family First candidates would help to counter this imbalance.

Playing as the Liberals is extremely tough. Because the Nationals do not contest every electorate the Liberals are up against Labor and the Greens. Labor seems to receive 70% of the Greens first preferences. Family First candidates would help to counter this imbalance.

It should be tough as the Liberals, have you looked at the polls :)? And the actual flow of Green preferences? 70% might even be understating it a little. Sure Family First would help, but not by that much.

Regardless, the game supports only four parties so Family First can't be added.

You could port Australia 2007 to the PMF Canada engine, or wait for the next game engine revision for Australia—though that's likely a ways away—other than that it's Liberal-National against Labor-Green.

I was really hoping that the Australian game would get a revamp similar to the Canadian one. Good though the current game is, I feel that only having four parties really limits things. Family first is important in 2007, and the Democrats, Independents and One Nation should really be there too.

I did a scenario for 1996 called 'Keating's Last Stand?' but I never released it as it didn't work properly with just the four parties. Perhaps if the game were revamped, user made scenarios would appear?

I was really hoping that the Australian game would get a revamp similar to the Canadian one. Good though the current game is, I feel that only having four parties really limits things. Family first is important in 2007, and the Democrats, Independents and One Nation should really be there too.

I did a scenario for 1996 called 'Keating's Last Stand?' but I never released it as it didn't work properly with just the four parties. Perhaps if the game were revamped, user made scenarios would appear?

You can remake your scenario for the PMF Canada engine and gain support for 16 parties, endorsers, and so on.

I agree however that it would make sense for the next round of PMF games to be consolidated into Commonwealth Forever (my name) and then have scenario packs released for them, instead of separating them out by country. Cost the same in the end (because you'd pay for scenario packs) but for the customer the ease of use in having a single go-to program would be great.

That would be my plan, but of course I don't speak for TheorySpark's future plans.