270soft Forum

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LATEST VERSION: v. 2.0.4 beta (DISCONTINUED; Version 3 continued by CountArach here -> http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9891 ) Post your e-mail to receive the revamped 2008 Gold scen

matvail2002@gmail.com Thanks a lot!

270gopred@gmail.com

First of all - I love this scenario, especially with the December 1st stuff.

I have a request for a future version. Would it be possible to put the Green party in with Nader as their nominee. He has said that he will run if Clinton gets the nomination and I think it would be great to see what effect he will have on the nomination this time (some people blame him for losing the election for the Democrats last time).

Thanks!

EDIT: I was also just thinking about how overpowered Obama is - it seems like Hillary stands absolutely no chance of winning the nomination.

First of all - I love this scenario, especially with the December 1st stuff.

I have a request for a future version. Would it be possible to put the Green party in with Nader as their nominee. He has said that he will run if Clinton gets the nomination and I think it would be great to see what effect he will have on the nomination this time (some people blame him for losing the election for the Democrats last time).

Thanks!

EDIT: I was also just thinking about how overpowered Obama is - it seems like Hillary stands absolutely no chance of winning the nomination.

Nader has already endorsed Edwards, but former Representative Cynthia McKinney is running for the Green Party nomination this year, perhaps she could be included instead?

The last version was made before the Iowa caucuses and relied on the then assumption that the Iowa winner for the Democrats would be propelled to the nomination.

The last version was made before the Iowa caucuses and relied on the then assumption that the Iowa winner for the Democrats would be propelled to the nomination.

Fair enough.

Having said that, the current game I am playing as Romney saw Hillary get the nomination not too long after winning February 5th. It helped that Edwards won Iowa and New Hampshire, and then had a poor showing on Super Tuesday. Obama dropped out before him after winning Alaska and Hawaii and nothing else.

I couldn't stop Obama either as Hillary. It seems that if I play Edwards and he win Iowa, Obama is much weaker, but no matter how hard I campaigned as Hillary, Obama would catch fire and take over most of the country by 2/5.

I will hopefully have a *quick* update out within a few days with Obama toned down, and Hillary strengthened.

v. 2.0.3 (December scenario only)

-----------

-tweaked fundraising down a little bit

-Giuliani weakened

-Huckabee weakened

-Thompson weakened

-McCain strengthened

-Clinton strengthened

-fixed some delegate counts

-New Hampshire now a little more right on tax issues

-Crusader Bill Clinton strengthened

-Crusader Oprah Winfrey strengthened

-other stuff

NOTE: The quickfix is here. Obviously, not every primary/caucus will turn out exactly as in real life, but it should be close enough. A quick runthrough has the Obama-Clinton race much more closer. Meanwhile, McCain will get the Big Mo, and it is assumed that he will have a big win on Super Tuesday. Have fun, and hopefully the scenario will finally get polished once the nomination contest settles down.

As noticed, the update is only for the December scenario. Starting in October is a whole other game, so that is not the priority right now. I will try to port over some of the changes to the October scenario, but it will probably require whole different set of numbers and fine-tuning.

Well I'm running through a quick game as the Constitutional party just space barring through it. It is February 23rd at the moment and here is the scenario from a week ago:

TestRepublicans.jpg

TestDemocrats.jpg

A few strange things happened:

Iowa

Biden/Dodd – 6.3%

Kucinich – 8.2%

Richardson – 8.5%

New Hampshire

Richardson third over Edwards with 11.3%

Nevada

Richardson third over Edwards with 10.1%

Florida and Nevada were more reasonable and what you would expect (Pretty close to actual results, except in SC where Obama didn't get 51%, but that is a bit hard to arrive at. Some notes I have been taking:

Undecideds generally around the 20% mark in early primary states.

Obama won all of the early primary states except Florida.

Republican early primaries seem well balanced. McCain won South Carolina and Florida narrowly, with a comfortable win in NH and Michigan. Romney won in Nevada, Maine and Wyoming. Huckabee won in Iowa. Though he does seem to have a bit too much momentum.

About a 50/50 split for the Democrats on Super Tuesday. Edwards took New Mexico for some reason… Undecideds still up around the 12% mark in most states.

McCain wins just about everything on Super Tuesday. I think he is a little too powerful, but that could just be that he won a several early states. He could probably do with at least one less artificial boost. He had enough delegates to win the nomination a couple of weeks later. I think that making everyone weaker and then making McCain stronger has unbalanced it. I would perhaps consider giving him a couple of negative momentum hits to represent the majority of conservative republicans hating him (Which is largely true as he has relied on Independents to win many states so far).

EDIT: There is also a few things I am interested in fiddling around with mod-wise. First off, would you have any problem with me releasing these things as a mini-mod based on your version? Secondly, if they prove popular, would you consider releasing them with the full version in future?

There is also a few things I am interested in fiddling around with mod-wise. First off, would you have any problem with me releasing these things as a mini-mod based on your version? Secondly, if they prove popular, would you consider releasing them with the full version in future?

The more the merrier. :)

As for the weird results, the problem is indeed the number of undecideds. The high number of them is the result of inputting official poll numbers in which there are a lot of people who answer as undecided or some other candidate.

The end result is that the game badly handles distributing undecideds on election night. The 20% of undecides might be given outrageously to one candidate (like McCain in Michigan) or to some third-tier candidates (like Richardson, Paul, Kucinich, etc).

The solution is murky. One way is to artificially guess how who those undecideds would go to and give them to the top candidates' numbers. Sounds bad to me.

The other solution I hope for is that TheorySpark codes a better distribution algorithm for the game that more logically and realistically distributes the undecideds among the top candidates.