270soft Forum

Just something I've been thinking about. Shouldn't candidates be able to carry funds from the Primaries into the general election? Many candidates have won elections, just by securing the primaries early, and starting ads and gaining money quickly.

Kennedy. Bill Clinton. Bush. All of them did this.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LATEST VERSION: v. 2.0.4 beta (DISCONTINUED; Version 3 continued by CountArach here -> http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9891 ) Post your e-mail to receive the revamped 2008 Gold scen

matvail2002@gmail.com Thanks a lot!

270gopred@gmail.com

Just something I've been thinking about. Shouldn't candidates be able to carry funds from the Primaries into the general election? Many candidates have won elections, just by securing the primaries early, and starting ads and gaining money quickly.

isn't it that way, if you finish the primary season with more then $75M.

And it's a little complicated to let the candidates raise for 2 elections gamewise, as they do in reality.

overall a very nice scenario I had some real trubble to win with Thompson.

Despite wining Iowa the Wyoming Caucus loss hurt the momentum very much. AS everyone looks on NH an IA a win in Wyoming should be very low profile momentumwise.

The bigger problem seems to be, that there is no reality check, what happens if the field is going out the February Primaries with no one able to win the nomination on their own. Even more, if the other party has a nominee and starts campaining on the GE. It goes very often to a brokered convention or on the other hand the game produces very strange endorsments...

I had Huckabee, Romney and Giuiliai, McCain and Thompson neither with delegates and no possibility to win if no one drops out.

And then the unrealistic thing starts. As a canidate poling below 10% I persuaded Giuliani, who was by then 250 delegates short of the nomination (with about 200 to be up for graps), to drop up and endorse me. Then I got a needed Huckabee endorsment, brining me very nerrow over the top.

In an later game as McCain (after luckily winning IA and NH by 2%) I managed to get Hillary as my running mate!! Who got the biggest momentum as democrat but a treeway tie with Obama and Edwards for the Nomination. And this was totally unintentional, I wanted to get rid of Romney, who wasn't thinking to drop out and clicked the wrong person...

Unfortunately, this is a coding straightjacket by TheorySpark in which the game assumes candidates will use public funds for the general election.

isn't it that way, if you finish the primary season with more then $75M.

And it's a little complicated to let the candidates raise for 2 elections gamewise, as they do in reality.

overall a very nice scenario I had some real trubble to win with Thompson.

Despite wining Iowa the Wyoming Caucus loss hurt the momentum very much. AS everyone looks on NH an IA a win in Wyoming should be very low profile momentumwise.

The bigger problem seems to be, that there is no reality check, what happens if the field is going out the February Primaries with no one able to win the nomination on their own. Even more, if the other party has a nominee and starts campaining on the GE. It goes very often to a brokered convention or on the other hand the game produces very strange endorsments...

I had Huckabee, Romney and Giuiliai, McCain and Thompson neither with delegates and no possibility to win if no one drops out.

And then the unrealistic thing starts. As a canidate poling below 10% I persuaded Giuliani, who was by then 250 delegates short of the nomination (with about 200 to be up for graps), to drop up and endorse me. Then I got a needed Huckabee endorsment, brining me very nerrow over the top.

In an later game as McCain (after luckily winning IA and NH by 2%) I managed to get Hillary as my running mate!! Who got the biggest momentum as democrat but a treeway tie with Obama and Edwards for the Nomination. And this was totally unintentional, I wanted to get rid of Romney, who wasn't thinking to drop out and clicked the wrong person...

A Wyoming win should have a basic profile of 3 compared to 10 for Iowa and 7 for New Hampshire (for the Republicans).

As for endorsement probabilities, I agree that they are way too easy, especially in regards to getting the front-runners from opposing parties to join. :wacko: However, that code is in TheorySpark's hands.

I'm assuming this is working as a thread for Gold December too...

Playing a game as Hillary, I managed to clinch the nomination after Wisconsin, got Obama to agree to become VP and was the only Democrat remaining. Republicans were split at first but McCain was able to emerge as the only candidate left by April. As Hillary, I had built up a ~$100 million warchest against McCain and launched a series of devastating direct mail attacks against him that lasted from May until the beginning of the general election. Typical week showed Hillary +12, McCain -30 nationwide. This really didn't change any percentages between the primaries and the general election. One thing that did stand out was that McCain basically killed himself during the election. McCain had -1368/100 energy points! Debates looked like this: Hillary 12 McCain -74.

I'm assuming this is working as a thread for Gold December too...

Playing a game as Hillary, I managed to clinch the nomination after Wisconsin, got Obama to agree to become VP and was the only Democrat remaining. Republicans were split at first but McCain was able to emerge as the only candidate left by April. As Hillary, I had built up a ~$100 million warchest against McCain and launched a series of devastating direct mail attacks against him that lasted from May until the beginning of the general election. Typical week showed Hillary +12, McCain -30 nationwide. This really didn't change any percentages between the primaries and the general election. One thing that did stand out was that McCain basically killed himself during the election. McCain had -1368/100 energy points! Debates looked like this: Hillary 12 McCain -74.

Hmm. This energy deficit seems to be a bug I have seen before, where if you take on too many activities and over your CP limit, your energy plummets into huge negatives that you can never recover from, i.e. death! :wacko:

I will try to personally reproduce this and report it to TheorySpark, as I had never seen the AI do it before.

Oprah with a power of one? That's just wack.

She should be around three-four.

Polls have shown that with most celebrities, no one cares. But people /WANT/ to here from Oprah, she brought out the largest crowd in the primaries yet!

Oprah with a power of one? That's just wack.

She should be around three-four.

Polls have shown that with most celebrities, no one cares. But people /WANT/ to here from Oprah, she brought out the largest crowd in the primaries yet!

How much more in the game does a 3-4 power crusader affect a candidate?

I won the Democratic primaries early. By the time the general election came around, I had nearly 300 million dollars.

I ran numerous attack ads against Huckabee whom had won the Republican Primaries. Come the time to update the polls, Momentum went something like this...

Edwards: +29

Huckabee: -14

And then... almost no change in the polls. Like +0.3 plus percentage points for me.

And I'm not sure. :)

i still cannot win a general election with any different results than the 2004 election. i was leading in the polls in pennsylvania and connecticut and new jersey as rudy according to the private and public polls and still lost the states. the results were the same 286-252 as 2004 every time i play in the general. i guess this is theoryspark's issue.

i still cannot win a general election with any different results than the 2004 election. i was leading in the polls in pennsylvania and connecticut and new jersey as rudy according to the private and public polls and still lost the states. the results were the same 286-252 as 2004 every time i play in the general. i guess this is theoryspark's issue.

How much were you leading by?

How much were you leading by?

I lead NJ 51-46, Penn was pretty much a dead heat 49-47, and Wisconsin had Rudy up 53-45. I went on to lose all of them to Obama. This wasn't the first time. I don't think I have ever had an election where the general didnt turn out the same way as 2004, except one time Hillary won North Carolina.

and, to add to that, I released two high power scandals on Obama in the final week with powers of 10 on both. He had -14 momentum and i had +4 momentum heading into election night, yet he still made comebacks in those states.

Huckabee's momentum boost is probably way too high. I just played a game (October scenario) as Obama where Huckabee was endorsed, on December 1st, by Ted Strickland, Eliot Spitzer and the League of Conservation Voters. Granted, this is probably an engine problem, but still.

For Spitzer and Strickland, the rankings were:

Huckabee 111

Obama 77

Paul 50

McCain 44

Edwards 43

Maybe they should be moved from Center-Left to Left?

Edit: Just played again, this time Huck was endorsed by all the Democratic governors.

it could be an engine problem. i wish theoryspark would make some kind of chances so the map wouldn't always end up like 2004. some else would be nice is that cetain states would move certain ways if a certain candidate was nominated.

for example, arkansas would move democratic if hillary was nominated, or NJ and Conn would become more competitive if Rudy got the nod. That may not be possible, though. I don't know.

Huckabee's momentum boost is probably way too high. I just played a game (October scenario) as Obama where Huckabee was endorsed, on December 1st, by Ted Strickland, Eliot Spitzer and the League of Conservation Voters. Granted, this is probably an engine problem, but still.

For Spitzer and Strickland, the rankings were:

Huckabee 111

Obama 77

Paul 50

McCain 44

Edwards 43

Maybe they should be moved from Center-Left to Left?

yeah, i agree. when i play the october one, huckabee manages to take over the entire country by the time iowa rolls around and no one has a chance. right now we are going into iowa with 1000 delegates up for grabs and 20% of the electorate undecided, most of them will break for huckabee. i am constantly releasing scandals on him to keep his momentum uner +10.

Unfortunately, this is a coding straightjacket by TheorySpark in which the game assumes candidates will use public funds for the general election.

Use "Funds" instead of whatever the other one is. Therefore if you have more than the Funds amount you keep your money and can fund-raise still. If you have less than the Funds amount you get that, plus you're still allowed to fund-raise.

Or, at least, that's how it's supposed to work.

it could be an engine problem. i wish theoryspark would make some kind of chances so the map wouldn't always end up like 2004. some else would be nice is that cetain states would move certain ways if a certain candidate was nominated.

for example, arkansas would move democratic if hillary was nominated, or NJ and Conn would become more competitive if Rudy got the nod. That may not be possible, though. I don't know.

I brought this problem to TheorySpark's attention a while back, but they did not respond.

http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9717