270soft Forum

United States 2008 - Beta Scenario

[Note: This scenario has now gone to official status.]

Hey everybody,

You can download the new United States 2008 Beta scenario here:

[scenario has gone to official status - please see http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8763 ]

To install, download the file to your desktop. Then unzip it to the right folder (right-click, Open With, Compressed (zipped) Folders, copy the United States - 2008 - Beta folder, paste it into your President Forever 2008 + Primaries or President Forever + Primaries scenarios folder).

There will be another post about the changes here in a bit.

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Scenario Changes

Version 1.02

- changed starting funds for all candidates

- changed Iowa caucus to January 3

- changed Michigan and Florida delegates to 1 for Democrats so work properly with game engine

- Brownback, Tancredo, Hunter Established 2 > 1

- Hillary 2 > 3 Established

- Obama 1 > 2 Established

- changed fundraising coefficient 1000 > 2000

Version 1.01

- changed percentages for entire country (particular states also changed) to bring into alignment with most recent polls

Obama (-)

Edwards (-)

Richardson (-)

Giuliani (-)

Thompson (+)

McCain (-)

Romney (-)

Huckabee (-)

- added new candidates

Chris Dodd

Dennis Kucinich

Duncan Hunter

Tom Tancredo

Ron Paul (new for some versions)

- changed primaries dates

note Florida and Michigan 0 delegates (Democrats) and 1/2 (Republicans)

projected early dates

- Gingrich to off by default

- added Jay Leno

- chance economy boom 45 > 20

- changed candidate colours

The TheorySpark Team

Giving Florida and Michigan 0 delegates mean their contests never occur and they linger in the strategy screen with -x days, and never get a lock icon on the main screen.

Also I find it hard to believe that everybody endorsed Ron Paul on the Republican side (minus Giuliani) and that Paul won the nomination.

Clinton's polls are too low.

Nobody has enough/gets enough money. Current estimates are that Clinton/Obama will have 30 million on hand heading into the primaries, and Edward with around 20 million since he accepted public funding (as always, the game remains unable to model primary spending limits).

Furthermore Obama raised 20 million this quarter and should be able to do that again for the next—making 50 grand a week + 50 grand a fund raiser (roughly) nowhere enough to hit that target. Same with everybody, basically.

Just wanted to give some "beta testing" results.

For the first two games, I just watched as the Libertarian candidate, with all the actual 2008 candidates playing. Clinton won the democratic primary, chose Biden as her vice president. But the republican side was much more exciting, with Guiliani leading almost the entire primaries...and then Thompson suddenly came out swinging taking state after state, winning the primary by a wide margin. He chose Sanford as his VP. The rest of the game was pretty close, with states constantly swinging. When election night finally came, the winner wasn't called until 6 AM, when California finally locked on Thompson.

The second game, I watched as the Libertarian again. This time, the democratic primary was more exciting, with Kucinich taking a ton of states at the beginning, and being almost tied with Clinton, who won the nomination and then took Kucinich as her vice. Ron Paul ended up with the republican nomination, choosing Romney as his vice (I think). This time, Clinton won the presidency.

But my final game, where I played as McCain, was WAY more exciting...because going into the nomination, it was practically a four-way tie for republicans. Thomspon dropped out a week before the nomination and endorsed Romney, giving him a slight boost. But when the nomination came, there was still no clear majority. So Paul was dropped (due to having the fewest votes) and a revote was done for McCain and Romney, where Romney came out ahead. So I lost that game...but still VERY exciting!

These were all on "hard" difficulty by the way. So I like that it's been so close! Great job!

Just started playing. Appears to be the most realistic, up-to-date P4E + Primaries scenario I've seen thus far. Good updates, guys! Polls very accurate (though Hillary should be slightly higher methinks).

Even though IRL I would never vote for Hillary - I think she loses the nomination far too often. My other pet peeve is Ron Paul. How in the world does he always end up with 15+ percent of the vote and often carries big states like California and Texas... IMO not possible IRL.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

For Clinton's poll numbers, which numbers in particular did you think were too low? (Nationally, or in particular states?)

One thing to remember is that her numbers are with the undecideds, so her percentages have to be increased by a little under 50% if you want her share of the candidates' percentages (30% * 1.5 = 45%, for example).

Yes, the Ron Paul conundrum. Maybe a Paulite programmer snuck in some code that increases his chances of winning (kidding). We'll look into it.

Even though IRL I would never vote for Hillary - I think she loses the nomination far too often. My other pet peeve is Ron Paul. How in the world does he always end up with 15+ percent of the vote and often carries big states like California and Texas... IMO not possible IRL.

Anthony Burgoyne

Thanks everybody for the replies.

For Clinton's poll numbers, which numbers in particular did you think were too low? (Nationally, or in particular states?)

One thing to remember is that her numbers are with the undecideds, so her percentages have to be increased by a little under 50% if you want her share of the candidates' percentages (30% * 1.5 = 45%, for example).

Yes, the Ron Paul conundrum. Maybe a Paulite programmer snuck in some code that increases his chances of winning (kidding). We'll look into it.

Anthony Burgoyne

I've noticed a couple times now, where contestants (especially Romney) tend to choose Dick Cheney as their vice president.

I'm assuming he isn't a real-life contender, right? Given his statement that "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve", it seems he's not interested in continuing in the white house. And on the way off chance that he "did" want to continue as the vice president, I can't imagine anyone would think he'd be a great boost to their campaign. :rolleyes:

According to Wikipedia:

Since 2001, when asked if he is interested in the Republican presidential nomination, Cheney has said he wishes to retire to private life after his term as Vice President expires. In 2004, he reaffirmed this position strongly on Fox News Sunday, saying, "I will say just as hard as I possibly know how to say... 'If nominated, I will not run,' 'If elected, I will not serve,' or not only no, but 'Hell no,' I've got my plans laid out. I'm going to serve this president for the next four years, and then I'm out of here."

Is there a way to get rid of Cheney as a possible running mate?

Thanks!

Use the candidate editor to delete him or go into the files and do it manually.

Ha, thanks. I tried doing it manually and it didn't work, but it never occured to me that I could delete him through candidate editor. Worked fine.

BTW, I may have stumbled upon a bug. I was just simulating the election, "playing" as the libertarian but really just clicking through each turn to see the outcome instead of really playing. It got to election night...I can't remember, but it might've been Edwards vs. Romney.

Anyhow, I turned on the option that gives a pop-up notice when each state gets called. It was a close race, but eventually, the election was called for Romney.

So I then turned on the "fast forward" option, since the election had been called.

But then around 1 AM gametime, I got another pop-up. "We are reversing our decision..." and then it showed Edwards with 270 electoral votes. Which I thought was AWESOME, since it was very similar to the Bush vs. Gore race in real life.

But then as soon as I clicked okay, it popped up again with the same notice, although it left Edwards in the lead. I clicked okay, and it immediately happened again. This went on for probably 30 pop-ups. They finally ended, and I clicked off the "fast forward" option, and Romney was in the lead again. Only about five seconds "in game" time had passed, and no states had visibily changed their color.

The game finally ended, with Romney in the lead. So Edwards only spent about 5 ingame seconds as the leader.

To summarize, I got thirty pop-ups when Edwards took the lead after the election had been called for Romney. I was on fast-forward, with the pop-up notices on. No actual states changed color, and by the time the popups finally stopped, Romney was in the lead again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I've had the same thing happen to me. I think the problem is that when a state is too close to call, you get the message that the decision is reversed as the candidates exchange the lead. The problem is that when you are fast forwarding, the lead changes between the two candidates so quickly that you keep getting the popup ovr and over again.

I've had the same thing happen to me. I think the problem is that when a state is too close to call, you get the message that the decision is reversed as the candidates exchange the lead. The problem is that when you are fast forwarding, the lead changes between the two candidates so quickly that you keep getting the popup ovr and over again.

Yep.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: now updated to campaign Version 1.02 Beta. Changes include:

- changed starting funds for all candidates

- changed Iowa caucus to January 3

- changed Michigan and Florida delegates to 1 for Democrats so work properly with game engine

- Brownback, Tancredo, Hunter Established 2 > 1

- Hillary 2 > 3 Established

- Obama 1 > 2 Established

- changed fundraising coefficient 1000 > 2000

You can click on the download link at the top of this thread to download the latest version.

The TheorySpark Team