270soft Forum

United States - 2000 - Official Campaign Beta Released

Problem with adding LaRouche is that giving him a 1 rating in How Well Established is being way too generous. For that matter, giving him any statistics at all is being too generous.

I've noticed the Buchanan thing too, and I don't know why that he is listed @ 0% in the Reform party primaries. Also, the primary election dates are listed in 2007. It is possible to come up from that 0% after barnstorming in the same area about 20 times (probably takes so long because the candidate starts off with 0 people attending their rallies, and are starting off with a worse political stature than the Unabomber).

I am proud that I just won the Democratic nomination for the first time as Bradley. I never produced a positive ad, ran all negative on health care, campaign finance, and leadership (same issues as my theme, only my theme was all positive), and had to sweep the first four primaries to sustain myself on Super Tuesday (where I made some huge ad buys that nearly broke the campaign). Ended up winning the nomination by only 9 votes (2135-2118, or something like that).

Problem with adding LaRouche is that giving him a 1 rating in How Well Established is being way too generous. For that matter, giving him any statistics at all is being too generous.

I've noticed the Buchanan thing too, and I don't know why that he is listed @ 0% in the Reform party primaries. Also, the primary election dates are listed in 2007. It is possible to come up from that 0% after barnstorming in the same area about 20 times (probably takes so long because the candidate starts off with 0 people attending their rallies, and are starting off with a worse political stature than the Unabomber).

I am proud that I just won the Democratic nomination for the first time as Bradley. I never produced a positive ad, ran all negative on health care, campaign finance, and leadership (same issues as my theme, only my theme was all positive), and had to sweep the first four primaries to sustain myself on Super Tuesday (where I made some huge ad buys that nearly broke the campaign). Ended up winning the nomination by only 9 votes (2135-2118, or something like that).

I also found that you need to win Iowa, New Hampshire, Delaware, and Washington to create sufficient momentum to win as Bradley:

bradley2000primariessq7.th.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the final election results:

00hardmp8.th.png

In order to make 3rd parties fun to play (i.e., you don't go from 0.5% to 0.6%), they are able to gain a higher percentage than would seem realistic. By default they are turned off, as in real life they probably wouldn't make a difference. Once they do start to gain traction (as in Nader in 2000), a major party has to start attacking them (as Gore did), which will drive their percentages down.

Hope this helps,

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

All I did to render third tier parties and candidates impotent is to tweak their percentage numbers downward. I do not understand why this problem continues to exist since the President 2000 game.

Update: now updated to campaign Version 1.01 Beta. Changes include:

- "President" Bush -> "Gov." Bush

- Buchanan Nation Building -> Far Right

- Buchanan Free Trade -> Left

- Buchanan Military Doctrine -> Left

- NRA -> Right

- John Anderson pictures removed from party_images

- Buchanan's Reform Party percentages from 0 -> 50

You can click on the download link at the top of this thread to download the latest version.

The TheorySpark Team

• 5 weeks later...

Only just got around to downloading this and giving it a go - have had computer problems for far too long. I like the range of candidates and I think that the scenario generally works well. I do think though that the Greens get far too much momentum when they pick Nader - it always comes in with about 90 points of momentum and doesn't disappear for weeks. The result is a minimum of 9-10%.

The Republican side of the scenario is well balanced and a lot of fun to play though. Nice to have an alternative campaign to 04 and 08. :)

1) Nice scenario.

2) This may sound bizzare, but IRL, the Alaska Caucus (GOP side only) was the same night as Iowa. It was roundly ignored, but it was that night; also, Forbes only lost it by 5 votes to Bush.

2) This may sound bizzare, but IRL, the Alaska Caucus (GOP side only) was the same night as Iowa. It was roundly ignored, but it was that night; also, Forbes only lost it by 5 votes to Bush.

The game models the series of events that make up a Caucus very poorly. I generally choose to use the final day of caucus (following TheorySpark's lead) instead of the opening event, except in special cases like Iowa.

That said some caucus's could reasonably be put at their opening event instead, like Alaska.

Alright. Major feedback time:

1) Something needs to be done to address the "overstrength" of the non-Bush/McCain candidates. They get 21 CPs per week, and it makes them almost as strong as The Shrub, and stronger than McCain. In fact, this can make Forbes the strongest candidate in the race when combined with his cash.

2) Can something be done to stop Keyes from winning NH every single time? Technically, he ought to focus on Iowa...he did real well there compared to everywhere else.

3) This is something of an "engine" problem, IMHO, and I'm not sure how to solve it...but is there any way to tweak things so that winning a round of primaries actually shifts support automatically?

4) NC should be proportional, I believe.

• 1 month later...

1) Thanks for this. Bush is now 3 Established, McCain and Dole 2 Established, the rest of the Republican candidates 1 Established.

2) The change in 1) should reduce Keyes' effectiveness.

3) Winning a primary causes a news story, which in turn creates momentum.

4) Noted.

Thanks again,

Anthony Burgoyne

http://www.TheorySpark.com

Games that spark the political imagination!

Alright. Major feedback time:

1) Something needs to be done to address the "overstrength" of the non-Bush/McCain candidates. They get 21 CPs per week, and it makes them almost as strong as The Shrub, and stronger than McCain. In fact, this can make Forbes the strongest candidate in the race when combined with his cash.

2) Can something be done to stop Keyes from winning NH every single time? Technically, he ought to focus on Iowa...he did real well there compared to everywhere else.

3) This is something of an "engine" problem, IMHO, and I'm not sure how to solve it...but is there any way to tweak things so that winning a round of primaries actually shifts support automatically?

4) NC should be proportional, I believe.

Update: now updated to campaign Version 1.02 Beta. Changes include:

- Alan Keyes platform modified

- modified Republican candidates' Established ratings

- modified Democratic candidates' Established ratings

- NC Republican primary FPP -> PR

You can click on the download link at the top of this thread to download the latest version.

This scenario will go to official status next week, unless further changes are made.

The TheorySpark Team