270soft Forum

United States - 2000 - Official Campaign Beta Released

admin_270

http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/198868-...s-2000-Beta.zip

We are doing a public beta of the 2000 Beta for President Forever 2008 + Primaries. You are welcome to download the scenario (the link is above), and then unzip it to your President Forever 2008 + Primaries folder. To do this, download the file to a location such as your Desktop. Right click on the downloaded file, and click 'Open With > Compressed (zipped) Folders'. Then copy and paste the 'United States - 2000 - Beta' folder to the appropriate location, which is usually C:/Program Files/President Forever 2008 + Primaries/scenarios .

All feedback is appreciated on this scenario. You can comment on this thread. We may not be able to respond to all suggestions.

In particular, suggestions are welcome on scripted events for the scenario. These are things that happen in the world that affect the campaign (such as wars, bombings, natural disasters, and so on).

Sincerely and thanks for helping us in beta testing this scenario!

Made with Campaigns Forever Technology.

Update: now updated to campaign Version 1.02 Beta. Changes include:

- Alan Keyes platform modified

- modified Republican candidates' Established ratings

- modified Democratic candidates' Established ratings

- NC Republican primary FPP -> PR

Update: now updated to campaign Version 1.01 Beta. Changes include:

- "President" Bush -> "Gov." Bush

- Buchanan Nation Building -> Far Right

- Buchanan Free Trade -> Left

- Buchanan Military Doctrine -> Left

- NRA -> Right

- John Anderson pictures removed from party_images

- Buchanan's Reform Party percentages from 0 -> 50

The TheorySpark Team

I really enjoyed this scenario.

Here was my result.

I was Elizabeth Dole, I won the early primaries and recieved the endorsements of all of the second tier, then I got endored by McCain, I had enough momentum to just squeak by Bush - he then became my VP nominee.

Al Gore won on the Democratic side and selected Barbara Boxer as his VP nominee.

p4epicvx4.png

I really liked the scenario, quite accurate and very fun - huge improvements on the endorses. Perhaps more crusaders might help though.

I am getting a 'List index out of bounds (10)' error message on this scenario. Was able to play the first ten weeks of the primary season with no trouble before attempting to continue, receiving a 'DoMomentumEffects::EOverflow' message, and then getting the list index error.

I am getting a 'List index out of bounds (10)' error message on this scenario. Was able to play the first ten weeks of the primary season with no trouble before attempting to continue, receiving a 'DoMomentumEffects::EOverflow' message, and then getting the list index error.

Hi MMAlpha,

Can you get this error consistently? If so, are you able to email us a zipped up version of the save game that produces this problem.

Thanks,

Carl

The scenario is great so far, but here's a list of a few things I've noticed that could use some correcting:

1. George W. Bush is listed as President George W. Bush under his profile when you push the "Players" button.

2. George W. Bush is also an endorser for the state of Texas, which is weird since he's in the campaign, especially when the fact that he endorses himself appears in a news sotry.

3. A few of the Republican candidates, such as Steve Forbes, are missing profile pictures.

4. This is more of a general problem in all the scenarios of President Forever, but candidates don't withdraw or endorse the winning candidate once they have no chance of winning the nomination. In this scenario, this happened to me with Bush who refused to withdraw after I won a majority of the delegates as Keyes and also with Gore when I was Bradley.

The main problem with primary battles for 3rd parties is that since primaries effect the general more then they should this would make the 3rd party a lot stronger then historically and radically alter the general election.

However it's easy enough to add candidates if you really want to play as John Haglin.

Buchanan's abortion position should be far-right and nation building center-right.

I disagree on the nation-building position. From reading his books and columns, I would have to go with the far-right position.

Ah, yes. I didn't check the far-right stance because I figured it'd be something like "WE MUST COLONIZE THE WORLD!".

Downside of having to deal with the various disparate elements that make up the Republican coalition from ex-Democrat neocons saving the world for Democracy to libertarians and old school isolationists.

Hi MMAlpha,

Can you get this error consistently? If so, are you able to email us a zipped up version of the save game that produces this problem.

Thanks,

Carl

Unable to frequently replicate the error. Sometimes it'll happen within a few turns of loading the samegame, sometimes it won't happen at all. I've since created a new savegame and that has been error-free.

on the third party strength issue:

yes it is unrealistic, that even all of the running third parties can get high percentages... on the other hand you should consider examples like bloomberg, etc...

of course he would campaign during the primary season at that would effect percentages...

maybe instead of marginalizing the third parties there should be a higher effect from the "how well established" factor

From where are you guys linking the pictures?

Another thing I've noticed is that the main opponent of the player, such as Bush for the GOP or Gore for the Dems, seems to always drop several points in issue knowledge and debate strength - one of these in my games always seem to be at 1 during the general election and the other no higher than 3 which leads me to easily triumph in all the debates - that helps to keep me on top even with slightly negative momentum and without using ads. This is all on Hard difficulty.

This scenario was a lot of fun to play, but there were definitely some issues. The primaries played out nicely and convincingly. I played as Gore, and in the primaries Gore and Bush dominated their respective parties. The one odd quirk, however, was that Keyes won New Hampshire. But this could very well have been because he campaigned hardest there and rightfully won it - I don't know. I convinced Bradley to be my running mate about halfway through the primaries, and we had a good lead over Bush at that time.

Things started to go awry in the general election. Even though Gore was "comfortably ahead" of Bush for most of it, certain states had drastic polling shifts from week to week changing from Republican Country to Democratic Country, vice versa, and other such shifts. I played the game with all four third parties on. The Libertarians, Reform party, and Constitution party only had token support, about a percent or less most of the game. Nader inexplicably had the lead in Rhode Island one week, but was marginalized the next.

This is what happened on election night....

Election Night 2000

Although the fact that third parties seem to gobble up most of the undecideds on election night has been a problem with the previous scenarios, it's never been like this.

As far as I can tell the voting switches and super-3rd parties are a problem with the game engine, and not anything to do with the scenario itself. The same thing happens to me in the 2008 scenario.

I do find it a little odd that the only 3rd party with money—Reform gets their historical $12.6 million—does the worst.

Same with the states the Libertarian party wins, which range from a Border state (KY), an Old Confederacy (AL) State, and a Midwest state. I'd expect them to win in, well, more libertarian states in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West.

One possible solution would be to cut 3rd party percentages upon general election start in half. This, of course, would be a slight shift from reality but may serve to better represent their actual strength at election end.

As far as I can tell the voting switches and super-3rd parties are a problem with the game engine, and not anything to do with the scenario itself. The same thing happens to me in the 2008 scenario.

I do find it a little odd that the only 3rd party with money—Reform gets their historical $12.6 million—does the worst.

Same with the states the Libertarian party wins, which range from a Border state (KY), an Old Confederacy (AL) State, and a Midwest state. I'd expect them to win in, well, more libertarian states in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West.

One possible solution would be to cut 3rd party percentages upon general election start in half. This, of course, would be a slight shift from reality but may serve to better represent their actual strength at election end.

Another possibility is to make the effects of momentum flexible for different parties. For example, instead of a +8 momentum giving an 80% chance of gaining 0.5% for all the parties, for the 3rd parties a +8 could give only a 40% chance of gaining 0.1%.

I too have seen the Libertarians build up momentum in a few states and take all the undecideds for a win, but other times they end up with 1 or 2 percent just like normal. It seems that if you are the only one with momentum in a state, all the undecideds come your way. This does make it a lot of fun in the primaries because it gives you a fighting chance against Bush if you campaign just right.

I found an error last time playing (on hard). I had just won the endorsement of Dan Quayle when a window popped up informing me the Quayle wished to withdraw from the race -- then another popped up saying the same thing. I got this news story, and later when choosing a vice-president Dan Quayle was listed twice.

errorzr1.png

Here's the 6:30 win:

earlyph7.png

And the final victory

victoryae5.png

Archived