270soft Forum

How Do You Change Issues?

I'm creating a scenario for P4E+P, and I've encountered several problems trying to use the candidate editor. Firstly, it was just messing up for a while, but when I added Vice-Presidents that went away. But my scenario has a different set of issues from the standard scenario, and that's creating problems. My Issue #1 is abortion, like in the regular game, and my issue #2 is AIDS (the others don't matter). At first, the candidates only had one issue slot under Platform, namely Abortion, and it worked perfectly (the issue positions were what I had programmed). But then I realized that it had changed my issues document to only include abortion, so I fixed that, and then I recreated my candidates. What's happening now is that when I click on a candidate it says, "Access violation at address 00410798 in module 'CandidateEditor.exe'. Read of address 00000010." When I go to Platform, after clicking OK on that error message, it displays the following list of issues: abortion, AIDS, business tax, education, energy, environment, gun control, health care, homeland security, immigration, Iran, Iraq, outsourcing, personal tax, same-sex marriage, social security, unions, and war on terror. The last 16 of these are incorrect; they are just the default scenario's issues, and mine are different. All of them are in the center, and while Abortion has my correct center position displayed, and indeed I can change it to other positions the normal way, the others all say Center description here. I can move the marker for the last 16 issues, and it just doesn't change what the thing says. However, if I click on the marker for AIDS, it gives that same error message three times. Something's going on, but I can't figure out what. There must be a way to change the issues for a scenario. If somebody knows what I'm doing wrong, please tell me. Thanks!

They just released an update which included a new Candidate Editor. At first, when I loaded this scenario and started trying to work on my candidates, they worked, but when I recreated my issues document and created a new candidate it was doing the same error message. It displayed Abortion and AIDS, and they were working, but the third issue, Budget Deficit, was there in name only (no little bar; no window for positions) and the last 15 issues were missing. This probably means it's some sort of bug in the candidate editor, but if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone knows how to fix this, please tell me. Thanks!

Fixed it...

One time I accidentally opened my issues document in my internet browser instead of editing it, and it said that there was a problem with character 40 in line 104... I checked, and character 40 in line 104 was an &... I went through and changed all the &s to "and" and now it's working perfectly. Sorry for the false alarm!

This is sort of on a different topic, but in continuing to work on creating this scenario (I've gotten the candidate editor working perfectly) I'm discovering that when I try to start a game using this scenario, I get the message: "Access violation at address 00592456 in module 'p4e.exe'. Read of address 00000008." I'll see if this continues when I'm done working on the game, but if anyone knows what this is, I'd like to hear. Thanks!