270soft Forum

Does Anyone Ever Lose?

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, but every single time I've played, I've won huge landslide victories. It doesn't seem to matter who I play as. Al Gore in 2008 shuts out Giuliani (literally). Joe Biden wins 480 electoral votes against Romney. In 2004, Clark takes home 65% of the vote against Bush. And so forth. Is this a common problem people have? Or is there a bug I'm not aware of?

I mostly play the primary scenarios through and then quit... or I play just the general elections with no primaries.

In the primaries, I generally never lose when playing as a Democratic candidate any more. I've won as Vilsack (the first time I played him)... and captured the nomination as Sharpton, Braun, and Kucinich about a half-dozen times each. The key is the ability to win some delegates along the way and conserve those political influence points until you can win over one or two endorsements. Then, generally you've got enough delegates and momentum to push out another candidate and win their endorsement... and once that happens, it all slides your way.

Playing in the GOP ones are substantially harder, but I still win most of the time. Except as Powell vs. Bush - that's a damn tough scenario that I'm still trying to crack.

I just played my first scenario tonight! I was able to take the Republican nomination as Gingrich. However, I lost in the general election to Clinton... just a few votes in swing states. I think with what I learned ... I should be able to do better next time. For some reason Clinton didn't run any ads at all... at least that I could tell...

Out of respect for Ipmandrake, I tried a game that I knew I couldn't win. I played as Nader in 2004. I lost. Bush squashed me and Dean. Although, I did win New Mexico and New Jersey and almost had more EVs than Dean. Kinda rewarding and pathetic at the same time.

Ah - i have to get ahold of some of these updated scenarios? Is anyone posting them anywhere? If not - please email me at chris.r.copeland@gmail.com.

And FYI - I played the stock scenario yesterday and was able to take NY/Ohio/Florida/Texas/California with Badnarik... which was cool as it threw the election to the congress. And on that note - does anyone feel it is WAY to easy to flop California from Democrat in this game? All the other states seem somewhat realistic, but I have taken California as a Republican/Libertarian too many times for this to be a small issue.

I'm getting off topic a bit...but I've been holding off on downloading the beta editor and scenarios...waiting for some of the kinks to be worked out first...but...I also don't know where to download scenarios. I don't recall them being on the same type of page as the regular P4E scenarios. Where ya?

And FYI - I played the stock scenario yesterday and was able to take NY/Ohio/Florida/Texas/California with Badnarik... which was cool as it threw the election to the congress. And on that note - does anyone feel it is WAY to easy to flop California from Democrat in this game? All the other states seem somewhat realistic, but I have taken California as a Republican/Libertarian too many times for this to be a small issue.

Forget thgat i managed to win over 50% of California with Petrouka, not to mention also winning Illinois, another liberal state)

I suck at this game...I couldn't win it if my life depended on it. I can start out with a decent lead, it starts to shrink, I run ads, it sways back and forth between us, then I go down hill. I simply cannot pull of this game

It's ok Juidi...keep practicing. And if you still don't win any games, then download the candidate editor and cheat your way to a win! :)