270soft Forum

battle of the ages

There was a Scenario done like this in the past call Battle royal but now that we have pirmaries I think it will make it a little more intresting. Well we take 16 of the top democratic President and 16 of the top republican president put them though pirmaries. The Issues in the game could range form revolution time to now. Then who ever comes out on top during the pirmaries faces each other in the general.

What do you think?

I love this idea! I'll try to think of some issues once I'm done with my Government paper. Candidates though? My suggestions would be as follows (if you just want Presidents):

Republican:

Ronald Reagan

Abraham Lincoln

Teddy Roosevelt

William McKinley

Dwight Eisenhower

Richard Nixon

Calvin Coolidge

Democrat:

FDR

JFK

Wilson

Jackson

Clinton

LBJ

Jefferson

Might be worthwhile to include the Federalists and Whigs too. This really is a great idea though. Finally I can fulfill my P4E vision of running Reagan against FDR. :D

I think this sounds like a really fun scenario to run.

Some other suggestions for candidates who might want a chance to prove (or act upon) their potential greatness to the party. They should start the race lagging in the polls:

Republicans:

Hoover

Bush, Sr.

For fun with the republicans you could throw in GW Bush. He's going to be a prominent force in the republican party for a long time to come, so he'd be good but should probably start really far behind the others.

Dems:

Carter

Truman

I think Gore should be in here, too. Although he never got to serve as president, he was a fairly active Veep and actually won the national election in 2000 before losing on a technicality.

I'll think of some issues later, but thats what I've got for now.

he was a fairly active Veep and actually won the national election in 2000 before losing on a technicality.

A technicality? You mean Article I of the U.S. Constitution? :huh:

As for issues, here's some that I can think of:

Trade (Tariffs and Free Trade)

Taxes (Income, Sales, etc.)

Suffrage

Prohibition/Temperance

Race (Slavery, Segregation, Affirmative Action)

Foreign Policy (Interventionist vs. Isolationist)

UN/League of Nations

Welfare State (Social Security, Medicare, etc.)

Abortion

I'll try to think of more later (along with some issue stances).

• 2 weeks later...

These are the candidate that I came up with for battle of the ages. if you have any ideas let me know!

Republican Candidates:

George Washington

Abraham Lincoln

Theodore Roosevelt

William McKinley

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gerald R. Ford

Ronald Reagan

George H. W. Bush

George W. Bush

Calvin Coolidge

Ulysses S. Grant

William Howard Taft

Democratic Candidates:

Thomas Jefferson

Andrew Jackson

John Adams

Grover Cleveland

Woodrow Wilson

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Harry S. Truman

John F. Kennedy

Lyndon B. Johnson

Jimmy Carter

Bill Clinton

These are the candidate that I came up with for battle of the ages. if you have any ideas let me know!

Republican Candidates:

George Washington

Abraham Lincoln

Theodore Roosevelt

William McKinley

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gerald R. Ford

Ronald Reagan

George H. W. Bush

George W. Bush

Calvin Coolidge

Ulysses S. Grant

William Howard Taft

Democratic Candidates:

Thomas Jefferson

Andrew Jackson

John Adams

Grover Cleveland

Woodrow Wilson

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Harry S. Truman

John F. Kennedy

Lyndon B. Johnson

Jimmy Carter

Bill Clinton

Nice, although Adams was a Federalist which, at the time of Adams and Jefferson, was the opposition to Jefferson's Democrat-Republican (modern day Democratic) party. I would suggest taking Adams off and adding Polk and Buchanan (hey, he was terrible, but it'd be fun to try to win as him). Just my two cents...

• 3 weeks later...
Nice, although Adams was a Federalist which, at the time of Adams and Jefferson, was the opposition to Jefferson's Democrat-Republican (modern day Democratic) party. I would suggest taking Adams off and adding Polk and Buchanan (hey, he was terrible, but it'd be fun to try to win as him). Just my two cents...

The Federalists were the more conservative (in the traditional use of the word) of the two original factions and lineage-wise is probably traces back closer to the Republicans then the Democrats (although it is not perfect obviously, with all the party splintering and such). Then again the GOP is already loaded with candidates in that list, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to have only a couple of federalists and a few Whigs.

• 3 weeks later...