270soft Forum

As the floating point error has been (hopefully) solved by the Dev Team I've bumped the number to 0.8 and if the Convention bug (where 600 delegates gives you a shot at winning the Democratic convention) has gone away in the process I'll bump it 0.9 and we'll close in on release.

Nixon now has a Rethink Nixon event series. This should improve non-Nixon candidates chances in the primaries (i.e. it is now possible for Reagan & Rockefeller to have a chance).

Rethink Nixon event artificially cripples the Republican Party for the general by the end of primary season. New Miami Convention Event added for a general Republican boost in early September.

It's too rewarding to simply run ads and rake in the cash via doing nothing + fund-raisers:

-Advertising costs adjusted upwards.

-Fund-raising marginally adjusted.

-Activities: Barnstorming costs more, but uses less energy. Everything costs more. Fund-raiser uses more command points.

Debate added. Although no debate took place in our timeline it is possible that someone could have forced Nixon into a debate. Therefore there is a debate—but it has a 30% threshold. Unless both parties are doing well you may not get a debate (this probably needs playtesting). It takes place on October 25th, and the in-game justification is Nixon trying to head off a Democrat initiated bombing halt.

Party debates added for American Independent (aka a free ad) and Republican—though with a 30% threshold it may well just be Nixon getting a free ad.

Governors have been set to Decided in their party choice—hopefully this means less Democratic governors going for Nixon and vice-versa (you may still be able to get some).

Additional Crusaders added. If you want to suggest some for those playable people lacking them, I'd be grateful.

Unit rule for convention states is not modelled for two reasons: it makes primary states more important (as they are first-past-the-post) and it simulates picking off delegates which is otherwise impossible to simulate.

Wallace primaries moved before scenario start date to prevent massive newspaper headlines for him when he wins 50 at once. The lock icon will not, of course, be applied. This shouldn't matter since he is the only candidate for his party and he is unplayable as a primary candidate. As this didn't work, all states shifted to 1 delegate, with Alabama getting 100 delegates and taking place in July before his convention.

Mayor Daley was endorsing too early, so he now starts several months later: you'll probably have to work for your Illinois endorsement even if you're RFK.

Favourite Sons in general endorse too early (with the puzzling exception of Young, in Ohio).

McCarthy sometimes withdraws before California. This is unlikely, but—like favourite sons—it's hard to force someone to stay in.

House Rules

-Do not play as a favourite son, and do not turn them off. Playable candidates are the top ones: RFK, McCarthy, Humphrey/LBJ, Wallace (general only), Nixon, Rockefeller/Romney/Lindsay, Reagan.

-The American Independent Party can only be played in the general, do not play primaries for them.

-National Television Ad must be run nationally, no limiting number of states.

-Only one of: Rockefeller, Romney, Lindsay can be turned on.

-Only LBJ or Humphrey can be on.

-You are not allowed to go into debt deliberately.

Playtesting required for:

-Money.

-Republican Primary.

-General Election.

-Favourite Son modelling.

-Polish & Mistakes (typos, people's names that are wrong, candidates whose numbers feel off upon starting, that sort of thing).

-Advertising.

Known Detail Work

-Pictures

-State level newspapers (it seems unlikely :)

-Additional Crusaders

Instructions For Installing

Double click on it and it should unzip a folder (since you're likely on Windows you should have Winzip which will automatically recognize the file. If not google WinRar and download that application, install it, and then double click on the zipped file).

The folder is named Campaign '68 0.8

Move this folder to C:Program Files:President Forever 2008+Primaries:Scenarios if you placed the game in the default location. Next time you open the game click the scenario button and it should be there under Campaign '68 0.8

Feel free to delete earlier versions by dragging them to the Trash. Recycle bin. Whatever. Stupid Windows.

Credits

Scenario by (board names) Electric Monk & mokbubble2, with additional assistance by Forgotten Moderate.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Johnson...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-3...C-4...S-4...D-3 Kennedy...L-4...I-3...E-2...IF-4...C-5...S-4...D-3 McCarthy...L-4...I-3...E-3...IF-4...C-4...S-3...D-4 Nixon...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-4...C-3...S-4.

I'd also like a copy, please. chandallah@netscape.net

matvail2002@gmail.com

Just had a game freeze. No floating point error or anything, but the game went to a blue screen covering most of the map.

Playing as Johnson, Kennedy, McCarthy, and Hughes dropped out of the race before Pennsylvania's primary on April 23. I went to check up on endorsers to see if I could use any influence points to pilfer some GOP endorsements. Before I got that far though, game froze up; had to Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Other than that though, I like version 0.8 Money is fine, but a 50 point EP cost may be too much...perhaps a 20-40 pt. EP cost coupled with a 8-10 pt. CP cost...something that would allow a moderate war-chest to be raised through the summer, but fundraising that it wouldn't take a campaign two weeks to recover from.

Also, if Johnson is a candidate in this scenario, should Connally be turned on as a favorite son?

Just had a game freeze. No floating point error or anything, but the game went to a blue screen covering most of the map.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Campaign '68 pushes the game pretty much to the limit, in terms of what the engine can handle. Anyway if you get the blue screen again, try running the scenario again saving it each time so I have a save game for the Dev Team.

Other than that though, I like version 0.8 Money is fine, but a 50 point EP cost may be too much...perhaps a 20-40 pt. EP cost coupled with a 8-10 pt. CP cost...something that would allow a moderate war-chest to be raised through the summer, but fundraising that it wouldn't take a campaign two weeks to recover from.

I could go with 40EP & 8 CP. That will be part of the next update, assuming the majority of people feel some change is needed.

Also, if Johnson is a candidate in this scenario, should Connally be turned on as a favorite son?

Hmm. Probably not.

• 2 weeks later...
You can model only in coarse ways.

In my case I give RFK negative momentum until 31 March entry.

Modelling LBJ's drop-out and Kennedy's assassination is quite impossible.

Hmmm... This definitely begs TheorySpark to implement some sort of scripted event system that has triggers according to the situation.

Version: 0.95

With any luck this is the last beta version. We're feature complete (finally! Except for crusaders & the rather unlikely state level newspapers) and basically just doing more playbalancing. Given the way 1968 works this is rather hard, and is usually biased (in primaries) towards RFK and Reagan/Rockefeller (once you get over the vast Humphrey/Nixon leads, that is).

I have bowed to the prevailing winds, and my scenario follows the lamentable United States - 1968 standard. If any other scenario designer would care to join in my "Campaign '68" or "Campaign 1968" preference… that would be nice and I'd switch back—or if the scenario designer group would care to establish a non-TheorySpark standard I'd do that. Until then, United States - 1968 it is.

All pictures replaced / resized / updated or what have you. Overall quality is higher and pictures are properly resized: no more distortions.

Democratic primaries rebalanced, and are slightly easier for RFK.

General election rebalanced. Easier for RFK, harder for McCarthy, marginally easier for HHH.

Rethink Nixon event momentum drag upped in attempt to further weaken Nixon in primaries and give Rockefeller/Reagan a (better) chance.

Nixon & Reagan have swapped colours. Therefore Nixon & the Republican Party are blue. Likewise HHH/LBJ & Democratic Party are red.

PIPs reduced in some cases.

VP selection per candidate fixed.

Party images changed to campaign buttons.

General & Republican debate removed, on second thought.

Nixon weakened. Ideally he should coast the first general election month on lead in polls and fall back to earth as the Democratic candidate builds support & money. As this may not happen, I've added Event Series "Viet Nam Plans" where RFK & McCarthy are given a boost, and Nixon is weakened. HHH & LBJ are also weakened. Nixon's Secret Plan gives Nixon a boost, but—if HHH is the Dem candidate—this is countered by the Bombing Halt event. As with all playblancing everything probably needs more tuning.

In primaries he should win mostly because of his high starting polls & money, with his weakness as a candidate and the Rethink Nixon event series dragging him down.

Activities tinkered with, among other things Fundraiser reduced in EP/CP cost for better general election modelling.

Branigan (D) strengthened in Indiana.

Nixon/Rockefeller/Reagan given more money.

(Previous Notes Still Apply)

House Rules

-Do not play as a favourite son, and do not turn them off. Playable candidates are the top ones: RFK, McCarthy, Humphrey/LBJ, Wallace (general only), Nixon, Rockefeller/Romney/Lindsay, Reagan.

-If you've turned Johnson on you can turn off John Connally, favourite son from Texas.

-The American Independent Party can only be played in the general, do not play primaries for them.

-National Television Ad must be run nationally, no limiting number of states.

-Only one of: Rockefeller, Romney, Lindsay can be turned on.

-Only LBJ or Humphrey can be on.

-You are not allowed to go into debt deliberately.

Playtesting required for:

-Money.

-Democratic Primary (minimal).

-Republican Primary.

-General Election.

-Favourite Son modelling.

-Polish & Mistakes (typos, people's names that are wrong, candidates whose numbers feel off upon starting, that sort of thing).

-Advertising.

Known Detail Work

-State level newspapers (it seems unlikely :)

-Additional Crusaders

Instructions For Installing

Double click on it and it should unzip a folder (since you're likely on Windows you should have Winzip which will automatically recognize the file. If not google WinRar and download that application, install it, and then double click on the zipped file).

The folder is named United States - 1968 0.95

Move this folder to C:Program Files:President Forever 2008+Primaries:Scenarios if you placed the game in the default location. Next time you open the game click the scenario button and it should be there under United States - 1968 0.95

Feel free to delete earlier versions by dragging them to the Trash. Recycle bin. Whatever. Stupid Windows.

Credits

Scenario by (board names) Electric Monk & mokbubble2, with additional assistance by Forgotten Moderate.

Okay, starting off with some things I've noticed straight from the bat. [ I'll update this noticeably when I notice more. ]

- When I go straight to the general election, bypassing the primaries, the Democrats only have 100,000$ which basically makes them useless.

- I think more governors in the South should be inclined to endorse Wallace, the way it is now, he has to struggle to even get one. Updated

I'll be blunt.

I didn't get a word you just said. xD

I'm punchdrunk with lack of sleep due to upcoming university exams. That said, a copy of the scenario is theoretically in your inbox.

Okay, starting off with some things I've noticed straight from the bat. [ I'll update this noticeably when I notice more. ]

- When I go straight to the general election, bypassing the primaries, the Democrats only have 100,000$ which basically makes them useless.

That is, actually, the point.

In real life the various candidates spent literally all their money running up to the Convention.

Hence as a Democrat out of the the starting gate you're in a weak position. You're behind in the polls (anywhere from 1-5% depending on the randomization factor you get when starting a new scenario) and have around 10 million less than the Republican Party.

Your first priority then becomes to get money via fundraisers with your candidate, and spend your left-over CP while resting on building an organization of FootSoldiers/Crusaders while capturing any endorsements you can.

In a couple weeks when you actually have money you then have to start advertising, barnstorming, and still raising more money in a frantic attempt to catch up in the polls against a Republican who has had weeks of limited opposition and a $10 million budget to play with.

It's deliberately easy to make money via fundraisers, but Humphrey's lead in the primary should force you to spend all that you make.

Should I toughen up Humphrey a little?

I don't know. I was just about out of money after beating Humphrey, but I started raking in millions a week once I had the nomination.

Ideally you should fight to the convention, but yeah the millions/week is for the general and contested primaries (or if you're a Republican).

Speaking of which, what happened on the Republican side that Nixon had no money to fight back with?

Hmm. I'm really not sure how to playbalance an early win—even Humphrey/Nixon should need to fight fairly hard to protect their lead.

Though I suppose an early Kennedy win might well lead to a well financed Democratic Party.

Ideally you should fight to the convention, but yeah the millions/week is for the general and contested primaries (or if you're a Republican).

Speaking of which, what happened on the Republican side that Nixon had no money to fight back with?

Hmm. I'm really not sure how to playbalance an early win—even Humphrey/Nixon should need to fight fairly hard to protect their lead.

Though I suppose an early Kennedy win might well lead to a well financed Democratic Party.

The Republican side was closer than expected. Nixon had just 1 million dollars with 7 weeks left.

Still, I have to say, this is my favorite version of the scenario. The Primaries are a lot of fun.

Just had my first play through with RFK, and I'm very impressed. Amusingly, Wallace got 56 electoral votes to Nixon's 31, despite getting half the number of votes.

Couple of things:

Crusaders:

- 5 PIPs for Ted Kennedy seems a little steep, considering he's family.

- Martin Luther King's father endorsed JFK in 1960 thanks to Bobby- perhaps a potential Crusader?

- I'd add John Glenn as well, who was both a well known figure and a close friend of RFK.

Other:

- Might it be worth experimenting with adding an activity along the lines of "Lobby Local Bosses". Something very expensive and tiring, but that could tip some delegates? Might add a bit more colour?

Just had my first play through with RFK, and I'm very impressed. Amusingly, Wallace got 56 electoral votes to Nixon's 31, despite getting half the number of votes.

He's got a solid vote block in those southern states (and, theoretically, a potential breakthrough in a couple industrial states in the Great Lakes), while Nixon's is rather more in flux.

- 5 PIPs for Ted Kennedy seems a little steep, considering he's family.

- Martin Luther King's father endorsed JFK in 1960 thanks to Bobby- perhaps a potential Crusader?

- I'd add John Glenn as well, who was both a well known figure and a close friend of RFK.

I tend to cost out Crusaders somewhat differently. I try to have multiple Crusaders, but I also prefer that you have to think about it. For example (assuming things don't change before release) in 1992 your choice is to have your Crusaders or have PIPs to spend on endorsements.

I can add John Glenn, but I can't see MLK's father being a net bonus given the year and given the groups Kennedy appealed to (lower middle class "blue-collar" people, combined with black and poor people).

- Might it be worth experimenting with adding an activity along the lines of "Lobby Local Bosses". Something very expensive and tiring, but that could tip some delegates? Might add a bit more colour?

A "Super" Barnstorming, in other words?

That could be interesting. It offers a way, if you're willing to focus your candidacy, to get around the limitation that visiting a region multiple decreases your effect there.

However fundraisers are already putting a steep call on EP resources, so this might be a question of running advertising or dedicating a full week of time to one state.

Plus, of course, playbalancing this scenario is a bloody nightmare, because of the unique starting positions and high level of complexity, and so re-playbalancing the thing for like the dozenth time would suck.