270soft Forum

1968 (with Primaries)

Sean

A flaw I see in this scenario, too, is Wallace. He's quite a bit more formidable than in RL. In the actual election, he carried 4 states. Yet, I've never played nor seen a posted game (or even heard a reported game) of him being brought below 7 or 8 states. Perhaps this makes him more of a challenge if you're playing the GOP or Dems. I don't know if that was the intention, though. EM isn't online anymore to comment.

A flaw I see in this scenario, too, is Wallace. He's quite a bit more formidable than in RL. In the actual election, he carried 4 states. Yet, I've never played nor seen a posted game (or even heard a reported game) of him being brought below 7 or 8 states. Perhaps this makes him more of a challenge if you're playing the GOP or Dems. I don't know if that was the intention, though. EM isn't online anymore to comment.

Got one for you.

HubertHumphrey-EdmundMuskievsRichar.jpg

I do agree Wallace is slightly too strong of a candidate in this scenario. Most of my games involve Wallace winning more states than this.

For example, here's my best performance with RFK. Here, Wallace won almost the entire South, and did better than Nixon in the Electoral College.

RobertFKennedy-RalphYarboroughvsRic.jpg

Just posted my game results under Election play-by-play with screenshots.

I played this over the weekend. As RFK I have won the Democratic nomination. How I am not so sure of. I did very well in the big primary states as I won (MA, NY, CA, NJ, IN, IL, SD, NE outright and won OR, GA, NC, after withdrawls, and bribed Connally to withdraw and endorse RFK the same day as the TX primary, giving me TX. However did very poorly in caucus states. Is this because I did not put footsoldiers in soon enough, because I focused on the primaries? I also soent my first month on the campaign fundraising so this probably hurt me to. In total I had 1237 delegates to HHHs 1386 but in the end I won the convention with 831 delegates. I can only assume this is because I matched HHHs how well established score? Oh well I won and thats what matters, McGovern is my running mate, "and now on to Nixon and lets win there!"

Is there anyway someone can email me this scenario? to ReeceEEmmitt@googlemail.com, because I'm itching to play this scenario and it never seems to be working for me!

Thanks.

I sent you a zipped version just now. Check your e-mail and let me know if it works.

I sent you a zipped version just now. Check your e-mail and let me know if it works.

I replied to the email: it works great, thanks.

Has anyone managed to win as anyone but Nixon or HHH?

I was looking forward to romping home as Romney but its imposs!

Back to the drawing board!

For the characters that can run, it is possible to win as Humphrey, RFK, McCarthy, George McGovern, Edward Kennedy (despite having 0% in the primaries), Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Nelson Rockefeller, John Lindsay, and with difficulty, George Wallace. George Romney I have run as and, despite making respectable showings in the primaries, failed to gain any real momentem. Lester Maddox is immpossible on all levels, being given the stats of a favorite son.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to play as McCarthy a couple of times, and both times I quickly got to about -$400,000. Is that intentional, is that a glitch, or just what? I don't think I'm doing anything that costs money; the second time all I did was fundraisers. Is there some sort of strategy as McCarthy?

I tried to play as McCarthy a couple of times, and both times I quickly got to about -$400,000. Is that intentional, is that a glitch, or just what? I don't think I'm doing anything that costs money; the second time all I did was fundraisers. Is there some sort of strategy as McCarthy?

Are you starting in the primaries or in the general election?

In the general election, Democratic funds are intentionally set low to reflect what actually happened during 1968. Labor unions and other big-money donors held out for a bit after the convention. If you make it far enough, you'll see a headline that says "Labor returns to Democrats" or something like that, and you'll get millions of dollars.

If it's in the primaries, I don't know what's going on. I'll play through as McCarthy myself and see if I run into the same problem.

For the characters that can run, it is possible to win as Humphrey, RFK, McCarthy, George McGovern, Edward Kennedy (despite having 0% in the primaries), Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Nelson Rockefeller, John Lindsay, and with difficulty, George Wallace. George Romney I have run as and, despite making respectable showings in the primaries, failed to gain any real momentem. Lester Maddox is immpossible on all levels, being given the stats of a favorite son.

a few things..

first, the effect of the bombing halt MUST be increased dramatically

two, the Dems need very little money in the beginning of the GE, but slowly increasing towards a cresendo at the end

• 8 months later...

I'll pick up where it was left off. Give me a day or two to tinker with the original version (I have my own version, but it is prone to be quite unpredictable, even though I aimed for it to be more historically accurate.)

Most of the issues with the events have been fixed. I have increased the effects of most issues, while also increasing and extending the power of the "Bombing Halt" event that occurs toward the end of the campaign.What I am trying to do now is remove the Favorite Sons and place their support within the main candidates they supported, though in some cases this is not possible (Volpe wished to become Vice President, Dan Moore did not support Hubert Humphrey). Even then, it still generates the same amount of trouble it would with them among the percentages. An example is that Reagan is for the most part set to win California, and therefore controls a significant chunk of the Republican electorate. However, when he withdraws (he was never going to graciously endorse Nixon) he withdraws from the race, giving a significant percentage of the Republican vote to Wallace there. Since California is a swing state in this election, it is quite troubling. Rockefeller voters will do the same in New Jersey, Ohio, and Michigan, going to Humphrey. I'm trying to fix it in the meantime, but I don't know if there is any good solution.

There is a download link on Page 31 for the scenario. I'm working on another scenario for the time being, but I'll make some minor changes tonight in regards to the events, which are more easily repaired. The Favorite Sons are a major flaw in that the game can not accurately model them. There is no good solution to the problems it presents, so I have decided to leave it be for now.

For those of you who are asking for the scenario to be e-mailed to you, here's the link. You can download it directly.

http://drop.io/campaign68

If for whatever reason it doesn't work, let me know and I'll e-mail you a copy.

I dont understand the blank file. so yeah, it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

They took that part of the site down apparently, so the file isn't valid anymore.

Anyway, I have been tinkering with the game, and I have run into so many problems that it really is not even playable. Those problems include:

- Reagan's support ALWAYS going to Wallace, thus throwing California solidly into the Democratic column, when in reality it leaned Republican

- Indiana being solid Democratic, when it was in fact solid Republican. I have no idea why this happens.

- Ohio going Republican in landslide elections for the Democrats, whereas the above happens.

- Random Western states going Democratic when they should be solid Republican.

I have also discovered that events won't fire unless characters listed under requirements existed at one point in the game, which is problematic. For example, the Bombing halt would likely not have occurred if McCarthy or Kennedy were the nominee, but I can't script that because the event will not for whatever reason trigger during a game that starts from the general election, since they have never existed, but will trigger during a game that starts from the primaries.

As a result, I am at a complete loss as to how to resolve ANY of these issues, as I have spent days trying, with no success.