270soft Forum

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Johnson...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-3...C-4...S-4...D-3 Kennedy...L-4...I-3...E-2...IF-4...C-5...S-4...D-3 McCarthy...L-4...I-3...E-3...IF-4...C-4...S-3...D-4 Nixon...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-4...C-3...S-4.

I'd also like a copy, please. chandallah@netscape.net

matvail2002@gmail.com

The game says Edward Kennedy has 50 million dollars. That is much, much more than any other candidate. However, if you start as him, he only has 100,000 dollars. Also, Spiro Agnew should be a potential VP for Rockefeller. He was considered a moderate, Rockefeller Republican when Nixon chose him as VP.

Edward Kennedy has 50 million dollars. That is much, much more than any other candidate. Also, Spiro Agnew should be a potential VP for Rockefeller. He was considered a moderate, Rockefeller Republican when Nixon chose him as VP.

Probably an extra 0, I'll knock EMK down to five million.

As for Agnew Rockefeller screwed him over—Agnew gathered all his political supporters together for what was supposed to be Rockefeller's announcement that he was in the race… instead Rockefeller said he wasn't running and Agnew was hugely humiliated.

As for Agnew's ideology, post MLK's death, he was not remotely considered a moderate Republican by those who were paying attention (which is one reason Nixon picked him, among others).

RFK should have 0% of the vote in the New Hampshire primary, since he wasn't even running by that point. Also, some of the Southern govenors should be leaning towards Wallace.

Since I can't kill RFK his behaviour is the main Point-of-Difference from our-timeline. As such if the player chooses to try and win N.H. (a covert write-in campaign, perhaps) I'm willing to let it happen. Heck Nixon got 4.6% of the Democratic primary vote (and Reagan got 5% in '84) so I'm assuming they'll vote for anybody.

Good point on the Governors, though I'm not sure how many actually came close to supporting Wallace openly (maybe if Rockefeller was the GOP nominee).

Release Candidate 4 is coming along nicely but:

• I'd like to try and fix the "activies don't register for Republicans" bug.

Partially solved. Turning off Favourite Sons makes Activities work. Clearly at some point as the number of candidates passes a certain point Activities don't work for later candidates (since top Democrats worked and Republicans didn't).

As a stopgap playing without Favourite Sons makes Activities work for Republicans. As a suggestion one could turn off all-but-one Democratic candidates and just play the Republican primary side probably still with Favourite Sons.

• I'd also like to incorporate the upcoming "leaders can have per region bonuses" feature because that would really help with the general election.

Did that, mostly for the Republicans (Nixon, Reagan, and Rockefeller all appealed differently) and a little for the Democrats (as RFK had some additional non-Humphrey appeal outside the South).

• Finally it needs a lot of tweaking based on the 2008 fund-raising update as well, which could take a little while to get right.

Yeah… fundraisers aren't going to hold the importance they used to, I'm afraid.

Overall Humphrey made about 10 million in '68 (7 million from labor committees), Nixon over 20 million (and over 30 million counting associated committees), and Wallace 6.2 million.

I'm working to make that the usual end result.

Just wanted to note the Activity Bug has been solved by TheorySpark and whenever they update the public Beta with the fix Campaign '68 Release Candidate 4 will be sent out into the world

Fund-raising is still a little wonky, but otherwise it's looking good.

Is it done now?

It's close to being done, but is certainly playable (once the public beta update is out).

My last contest had (me as) Reagan and AI Rockefeller both beat out Nixon, but nobody hit the magic number and we went to the convention where, on the second ballot, my 400 odd delegates was enough to win.

The general election was close, but undecided states swung to me (shades of 1980) and I won handily. This has led me to increasing the positive and negative regional leader bonuses.

I was very much enjoying this scenario until I saved my game, closed the program, and later tried to load my saved game - it doesn't load.

Send it to TheorySpark along with whatever version of Campaign '68 you have.

Nothing I can do about stuff like that, I'm afraid. (Saved games, however, are not compatible across different scenario and different President Forever versions… don't know if that was the problem in your case.)

Well hey, whaddya know - the game decided to load! It was a great scenario, other than that one anamoly, which was probably a problem with the game, not the scenario, as you pointed out. I played as McCarthy and won in the end. I seemed to have all the momentum in the general election, up 12, 13, 14 in momentum, but things remained extremely close between McCarthy and Nixon throughout. Whether that was by design or not, it made the game more fun because it was so competitive. No glitches or anything like that.

I played as McCarthy and won in the end. I seemed to have all the momentum in the general election, up 12, 13, 14 in momentum, but things remained extremely close between McCarthy and Nixon throughout. Whether that was by design or not, it made the game more fun because it was so competitive.

Roughly speaking it's designed like real life '68. The Democrats start well down, but are propelled forward to a dead heat. At that point the Democrats can push forward and win, the Republicans can fight back and win, or the Republicans can punch into the Wallace states and do an end run.

Now it doesn't always work out that way, but that's what I'm aiming for.

Could someone here please upload this scenriao to rapidhare and link it here.

Excuse me?

The scenario is:

• In beta testing, which means it is not available to the general audience (although in practice I email it to anyone who asks when I update).
  • Doesn't work properly until the next President Forever Beta release which is not available to the public… so downloading it from Rapidshare wouldn't help you much.
  • Also, it's not public property or yours or whatever you seem to think it is. It's my scenario, with a great deal of help from mokbubble2 & Forgotten Moderate.

You'll get the scenario when it's done, I'm still working on it, and I promise that it will eventually be finished.