270soft Forum

Thanks for returning! - only - I didn't receive any e-mail... my e-mail once again is novare_res@yahoo.com or alternatively john.creedon@csn.edu should that one not work for some reason...

Hope all is well with your family and thank you once again!

:D

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Johnson...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-3...C-4...S-4...D-3 Kennedy...L-4...I-3...E-2...IF-4...C-5...S-4...D-3 McCarthy...L-4...I-3...E-3...IF-4...C-4...S-3...D-4 Nixon...L-4...I-3...E-5...IF-4...C-3...S-4.

I'd also like a copy, please. chandallah@netscape.net

matvail2002@gmail.com

Can't get the scenario to open...oodles of candidate picture error messages flood the screen when I try and select the scenario.

EDIT: I finally set it up to where Vista would let me add the pictures, but the candidate attributes would reset to lowest possible values.

Don't use Vista, so I can't help you. It does, however, open on a virtual machine Windows 2000 in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Anyone else having problems with Vista and candidate pictures?

Not to be a sore but will this be emailed to theoryspark when the kinks are worked out... thanks

Magic 8-ball says "Signs point to yes".

I just played a general election campaign as Teddy. Things were very close, and went almost exactly as you said. I started out down big, but slowly and surely built up a small lead. With about two weeks to go, I had reached that point where Nixon couldn't win, but I wasn't assured victory either. It all came down to California and New York. If I received either of their electoral votes, I would win. I got both.

1968-kennedy-defeats-nixon.jpg

This is my favorite scenario. I can't thank Electric Monk and the crew enough.

One glitch: Kennedy was invited to appear on a television programs every single day of the campaign.

Is it just me or is there no file in the email?

Not just you. I re-sent it.

Will it screw up the scenario if I add a test party for space barring? (i've done it to others)

Play as a Favourite Son and just stay in your starting state.

Honestly? 1968 is inherently fragile, due to a high level of complexity. There used to a spacebar party (I do believe the Peace & Freedom Party or some such, but I don't like third parties) and I'm trying to keep President Forever from crashing.

Or did you mean the general? I guess you'd have to add an extra party for that.

I just played a general election campaign as Teddy. Things were very close, and went almost exactly as you said. I started out down big, but slowly and surely built up a small lead. With about two weeks to go, I had reached that point where Nixon couldn't win, but I wasn't assured victory either. It all came down to California and New York. If I received either of their electoral votes, I would win. I got both.

This is my favorite scenario. I can't thank Electric Monk and the crew enough.

One glitch: Kennedy was invited to appear on a television programs every single day of the campaign.

Yep. The key thing is that Nixon ran a good campaign, and barely won against Humphrey. A better Democrat and/or a less divided party means the Democrats have the edge. California, despite being Nixon's home state, could easily have been won by Democrats and again with New York.

With your map clearly Nixon didn't take down Wallace hard enough (and I'm still not sure why Wallace comes in two colours) and failed to win the 1-2 other big states he needed. A pretty reasonable result, I think.

I'm not sure about the television program thing… but I'll take a look at it.

Managed to get the issues resolved...rather obscure error with my new comp, it's cool on your end.

Don't use Vista, so I can't help you. It does, however, open on a virtual machine Windows 2000 in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Anyone else having problems with Vista and candidate pictures?

Magic 8-ball says "Signs point to yes".

Release Candidate 2 Notes

Although I intended Release Candidate 1 to be feature frozen, I've been reading the consistently excellent "An American Melodrama" by a team of British journalists about the 1968 election. This pretty much blows away Teddy White's book, and so I've been doing a few things here and there.

However this is still Release Candidate 2 because I spent quite a bit of time testing out the changes in hands-off games. I then ran a couple human-human games and human-computer games.

Delegate totals adjusted slightly. Forgoing accuracy in a handful of caucus states the magic numbers of 1312 delegates for the Democratic nomination and 667 for the Republican are now correct (super-delegates can't be modelled by the game), i.e. in real life there actually were as many delegates as in-game.

Barnstorming upped in power to fix possible problem where it doesn't actually work.

Newspaper headlines modified in an attempt to focus attention on primaries, and not caucus states. Ideally winning a string of primaries will cause caucus states to naturally swing to you. I've gamed it out a couple times and by winning most of the 7 important primaries and by picking off delegates in the southern states you can usually get pretty close. Ideally swinging a couple major states behind you will win.

The South's love of the unit rule has been brought back on the Republican side for some states. This simulates Reagan's need for a major state to break for him to stop Nixon on the first ballot. Of course the game doesn't have a convention system, but I do my best to put something in place. Note that at the convention you could usually pry a few delegates away in spite of the unit rule, and that states nominally for Nixon would have broken on the second ballot—but, sadly, we can't replicate that.

The scenario is, at this point, essentially a Rube Goldberg machine. In vast complexity toiling away to deliver reasonable results.

Money for instance. As long as you're in a contested primary fight you'll be scrabbling like a monkey. Win the fight, and you can sit back and watch money roll in as this was way back when, before most FEC rules existed. I can't adjust that, so an early victory means you'll be flush with cash for the general. Which means, if you like accurate general campaigns, it probably makes more sense to not play the primaries all the way through to the generals (just quit after VPs are choosen, and start a new general election game with the winners of the primary contests and their VPs).

As the Democrats you'll suffer a -1.5 million penalty in the general election. This reflects the historic Democratic Party debt of 1 million, four hundred thousand owed to the DNC. and an additional hundred thousand to counteract the starting 100,000 given in the General (can't be negative party funds).

AFL-CIO & UAW are added as powerful Democratic endorsers for the Northern industrial states to reflect their hard work in beating back the Wallace threat.

Additional favourite sons added for the Republicans. New colour pattern: Light-Blue supports Nixon, Green-Alterenete supports Rockefeller, Purple for semi-independents.

Reagan & Rockefeller's CPs reduced. In Reagan's case he wasn't an announced candidate until the convention, and Rockefeller depended on a media campaign to convince conservative delegates that only he could win the general election. Probably makes it tougher, but a Rockefeller / Reagan team can still take Nixon down (would be a fantastic 3 human game).

Vice-President list expanded for Republicans. I can't model the actual impact of the various candidates, so I've upped their home bonuses to 10 or 15 in most cases.

Romney is now on as a favourite son. Sorry people who liked to play him in the primaries, but he was indeed a favourite son and the scenario starts after he collapsed.

Edward Kennedy is a general election candidate as he could have won the nomination if he so chose and if McCarthy was not such a….

The real life polls on 3 September of Nixon 43 - Humphrey 31 - Wallace 19 are reasonably close to the in-game start of Nixon 41 - Humphrey 32 - Wallace 19. That said Republican support is solid—but unlikely to climb much higher under scandal prone Nixon or far-right (for the times) Reagan. Rockefeller on the other hand will probably do better.

As such the Republican Party has been reduced to an Establishment rating of 4, reducing their CPs/day to 4. This reflects the real life Nixon campaign's strategy to not wear Nixon out. For other candidates—shrug.

There is also an event series that gives the Democrats momentum from late September through to late October, along with the Bombing halt just a few days before the election. Roughly speaking this brings them back up to level[1]. So don't worry too much. You should be able to pull even with the Republicans. As a human Republican you have to worry about Nixon scandals mainly, and hang onto your lead despite the events working against you. Most certainly playing the Democratic Party is far tougher than the Republican Party.

[1] Justification:

McCarthy led Humphrey in the polls, this accounts for that.

Both Kennedy's led Humphrey in the polls, this accounts for that.

Humphrey himself had Democratic voters return all through the election.

Nixon had a 40% vote ceiling (roughly, nationally) and this accounts for that.

Reagan is Goldwater, but charming, this accounts for people hearing about his issues.

Rockefeller turns off the base, this accounts for that.

Lindsay & Romney are basically Rockefeller lite.

Wallace voters gradually left, but since his support is already near election totals I've made more of his voters committed which means he handles this ok.

Essentially, no matter what the polls said at the beginning of September the Democrats were always going to gain quite a lot and so they will under scripted events. How much depends on how good you are as either major party candidate or Wallace.

Can I get a copy chicagolaw79@hotmail.com

Incidentally Hotmail believes folders wrapped in zip files are viruses and usually refuses to open/download them. So for those who have hotmail accounts you may need some other email account to receive emailed scenarios.

Incidentally Hotmail believes folders wrapped in zip files are viruses and usually refuses to open/download them. So for those who have hotmail accounts you may need some other email account to receive emailed scenarios.

THat would explain a few things thanks!

thewinoandiknow3@yahoo.com