270soft Forum

Can't fundraise during election?

Howdy,

I'm playing my second game right now and I've got a problem. Neither my Prez. nor my VP candidate have a fundraiser button after the primaries. This seems odd given what is in the Help file. Also, I had whooped butt in the primaries, so I accumulated about $5 million before the party convention, but when the election began it only gave me my base $70 million that the Democrats usually get. Why is that? Is this part of the spending limits?

Oh, btw, I ended the first game at the end of the primaries since that game was really meant as a learning experience, so I hadn't really come across this issue in my other game.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi AEWillson,

Yes, that's part of the spending limits for campaign finance. As far as the game works, you need to spend all your fundraised cash before the convention, if your party gets a block grant (that is, if you are the Democrats or Republicans in 2008).

Howdy,

I'm playing my second game right now and I've got a problem. Neither my Prez. nor my VP candidate have a fundraiser button after the primaries. This seems odd given what is in the Help file. Also, I had whooped butt in the primaries, so I accumulated about $5 million before the party convention, but when the election began it only gave me my base $70 million that the Democrats usually get. Why is that? Is this part of the spending limits?

Oh, btw, I ended the first game at the end of the primaries since that game was really meant as a learning experience, so I hadn't really come across this issue in my other game.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi AEWillson,

Yes, that's part of the spending limits for campaign finance. As far as the game works, you need to spend all your fundraised cash before the convention, if your party gets a block grant (that is, if you are the Democrats or Republicans in 2008).

Ah, that makes sense. Okeedokee, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi AEWillson,

I'd recommend changing this. Public financing of presidential campaigns is dead. Bush opted out of the public system in 2000 and both Bush and Kerry opted out in 2004 (and Dean would have if he had won the primary). The spending limits are simply too restrictive for any candidate who is serious about winning. Give candidates the option to take the public money, sure. But, realistically, I doubt either party's nominee will take the public money in 2008. Even the worst fund raisers could still generally do better than the public spending limits.

Along those same lines, I'd recommend introducing a unique fund raising attribute for a candidate. Right now I believe it is tied to charisma? Both John Kerry and Hillary Clinton are excellent fund raisers, but I wouldn't call either of them charismatic.

Hi lpmandrake,

Bush and Kerry opted out of the primaries government funding, not the general election block grants, to which I was referring.

Thanks for the suggestion re: fundraising. We'll look at the function, which includes Charisma as well as Established.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

I'd recommend changing this. Public financing of presidential campaigns is dead. Bush opted out of the public system in 2000 and both Bush and Kerry opted out in 2004 (and Dean would have if he had won the primary). The spending limits are simply too restrictive for any candidate who is serious about winning. Give candidates the option to take the public money, sure. But, realistically, I doubt either party's nominee will take the public money in 2008. Even the worst fund raisers could still generally do better than the public spending limits.

Along those same lines, I'd recommend introducing a unique fund raising attribute for a candidate. Right now I believe it is tied to charisma? Both John Kerry and Hillary Clinton are excellent fund raisers, but I wouldn't call either of them charismatic.

Hi lpmandrake,

Bush and Kerry opted out of the primaries government funding, not the general election block grants, to which I was referring.

Thanks for the suggestion re: fundraising. We'll look at the function, which includes Charisma as well as Established.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

The public financed money, however, is just a drop in the bucket. All told, Kerry and Bush raised nearly $700 million and of that spent over $650 million on their campaigns. The public funds made up only 20% of their total receipts. It's just a game so maybe the specific numbers don't matter as much, but the current makeup of financing in the game is not representative of the actual state of affairs.

The block grants are around $70 million for each major party and are spent in the last 2 or 3 months of the campaign - they aren't a drop in the bucket for the period of time being considered. The other money is raised before that, and is spent before that.

You're right, though, that the candidates don't raise that much in the primaries in the game currently - it's noted.

The public financed money, however, is just a drop in the bucket. All told, Kerry and Bush raised nearly $700 million and of that spent over $650 million on their campaigns. The public funds made up only 20% of their total receipts. It's just a game so maybe the specific numbers don't matter as much, but the current makeup of financing in the game is not representative of the actual state of affairs.