270soft Forum

In light of the '06 elections...

In light of the '06 elections, I think 80soft should reevaluate its candidates.

I made some relevant suggestions here: http://80soft.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8140#

(scroll down to post #2)

I would also add that at the very least Sen. George Allen should be defaulted to OFF, because most observers think his presidential aspirations are finished.

AND: You've gotten Romney's positions wrong. You should put him at least CENTER on abortion (he has recently come out against it, despite being "pro-choice" in previous elections), and CENTER-RIGHT or RIGHT on same-sex marriage, as he led the fight, even testified before Congress, to oppose SSM in Massachusetts.

AND -- I would retire the "business tax" issue, and replace it with stem cell research.

Hi yernirsh,

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be updating the default candidates relatively soon. Turning Allen to off by default is probably the right course of action - even if he wins his Virginia Senate seat. Going tit-for-tat, Warner will also be turned off by default. They'll both be replaced by other candidates.

Regarding the candidates discussion in the linked post, those are all good points. The candidates were listed pretty much in the order they currently rate in opinion polls, so even though, for example, Romney might have a better organization at this point, his national recognizability is relatively low, which presumably accounts to an extent for his position in the polls.

Also change the Governor's as endorsers too (if it needs to be done). In the next update if you can add Barack Obama, Mike Gravel and Tom Vilsack (because he announced he's running) into the Democratic primarys and remove George Allen and replace him with Duncan Hunter. If you can!

Yes Obama should be added for sure. And also Al Gore since so many people want him to run. And you know someone is going to want to try to win as Jeb Bush. Condoleeza is already in as a VP, but people are going to want to play with her on top of the ticket too. And Lieberman as a Republican Candidate would be an interesting option too.

I agree with Allan being turned off by default. Kerry should also be turned off by default since, well, you know... if you study your jokes and work hard on the delivery, you might get some laughs... if not you get stuck in the Senate.

:unsure:

Yes Obama should be added for sure. And also Al Gore since so many people want him to run. And you know someone is going to want to try to win as Jeb Bush. Condoleeza is already in as a VP, but people are going to want to play with her on top of the ticket too. And Lieberman as a Republican Candidate would be an interesting option too.

I agree with Allan being turned off by default. Kerry should also be turned off by default since, well, you know... if you study your jokes and work hard on the delivery, you might get some laughs... if not you get stuck in the Senate.

:unsure:

I bet alot of people would love to see Gore run again, especialy with Kerry as a running mate or maybe Mondale. Those people are called Republicans. :lol:

I would love to see Rice as a canidate correctly portrayed ala Dick Morris

"Morris suggests that against most male candidates that the GOP could nominate, Hillary would win on the strength among traditional Democratic constituencies such as African Americans and professional women. The exceptions would be Rudi Giuliani and John McCain. But Giuliani is too socially liberal for most GOP primary voters and McCain is too—well—unstable.

That leaves Condi Rice, an African American woman of considerable intelligence, talent, and accomplishment. Rice would peel off a great many votes among woman and minorities, up to fifty percent of blacks suggests Morris. A deficit that no DEM canidate could overcome.”

Good idea LiberalUK, I'll make a new thread in the Spin Zone about this.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

I know it's early, but has anyone/ would anyone place bets on the next president? Yes it's 2 years away but I would be interested to see if anyone, out of all of us on the forum, could get it right.
Hi yernirsh,

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be updating the default candidates relatively soon. Turning Allen to off by default is probably the right course of action - even if he wins his Virginia Senate seat. Going tit-for-tat, Warner will also be turned off by default. They'll both be replaced by other candidates.

Regarding the candidates discussion in the linked post, those are all good points. The candidates were listed pretty much in the order they currently rate in opinion polls, so even though, for example, Romney might have a better organization at this point, his national recognizability is relatively low, which presumably accounts to an extent for his position in the polls.

I'm sure people have posted most of this already but if you read the bottom I do have a point with this post :)

Yeah you should probably drop him from the primary and just keep him as a possible VP choice. Same with Warner.

You should also probably add Bill Richardson, Vilsack, Obama, Bayh, Gore, Dodd and Feingold for the Dems Primary and Huckabee, Brownback, Hagel, Pataki, Tancredo, Bloomberg and maybe Rice for the Republican Primary.

Here's my point why...no really, I do have a point: Since 2008 will be the first non-incubnet Presidential election (meaning no re-election or current VP running) in 80 years, there's going to be A LOT of people running on both sides.

There could be easily 20 people running for President in January of 2008. If not more. Like I wouldn't count out Powell just yet or Gary Hart (no really he's considering a run and Denver being a possible convention site bodes well for announcement).

Basically, the more the merrier.

Oh and the change of Congress if no one gets a majority of electoral votes if running strong third parties.