270soft Forum

Primary Battles

If no one has a majority in the electoral college the Presidential election goes to the House of Representatives where they can vote on the top three vote getters. Each state delegation has one vote. Right now the Democrats control a narrow majority in states' Co-Dels. If a state's delegation is tied, it is considered in deadlock and abstains. Voting continues until one candidate receives 26 votes.

And then the top two voter getters in the VP contest are thrown to the Senate where they are elected in a free vote.

• 3 weeks later...

p4evromney.jpg

New to the forums here, hi everybody! This was my first game playing the Primaries version, I've only just updated from the '04 version. I'd went into the editor and replaced John Kerry with a Bill Richardson profile I'd created, giving him 5 experience, 4 charisma and 3 integrity, also changed the platform to the appropriate stances and altered starting percentages to be a bit lower than Kerry's, particularly in the Northeast but gave the Gov higher numbers in the West by an average of 3 percentage points starting off with $3.5 million. Also edited in crusaders Barbara Richardson (Base Power: 1), Madeline Albright (2), Jon Tester (3) and Warren Christopher (2). I added Harold Ford (2) after learning he'd become the DLC chairman this week.

After wins in Iowa and New Hampshire, nearly bankrupting the campaign and working Bill about 2/3 of the way to death, Hillary rolled through pretty well through Super Tuesday with her bankroll and Ad placement but the Mo' was good enough to help Richardson snag some decent delegate portions before the pace slowed a bit more going into late March. An early research attack on Obama's experience from my camp rendered him largely ineffective and, of course, the computer was attacking Clinton from all sides, so that left Richardson to pick up a lot of pieces in the overall strategy. Biden made things interesting for a while in April with a narrow win in Cali but shortly thereafter dropped out and offered support to Richardson.

Primaries continued until New Jersey after the rest of the field exited and Clark gave his votes to Hillary. We were both in the 1500s when late money and advanced placement of foot soldiers put Richardson just over the top in the final primary.

Warner was the VP for the dems and Romney picked Bush. I made sure to target Texas early on, maintaining a substantial ground presence throughout with foot soldiers and making sure to get every national endorsement available for the general election to get some early momentum. From then on out, it was back and forth in Ohio, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Tennessee, New Mexico (!!!), and Colorado.

Love the new Primaries version! Way to go Anthony et. al!

• 3 weeks later...
I thought in the US the decesion went to the Supreme Court. Isn't that controlled by the Republicans at this point?

Please correct on both points if i'm wrong tho.

That was only in the disputed 2000 election. If it was 269,269 I beileve it would be congress. If I remember correctly each state delegation in Congress gets one vote and whoever gets a majority of them wins, or something crazy like that. But it might be just a regular vote.

The reason it went to the Supeme Court was because it looked as if the winner of Florida would win, it wasn't a 269,269 tie. Hope That Helps.

If it was 269,269 I beileve it would be congress. If I remember correctly each state delegation in Congress gets one vote and whoever gets a majority of them wins

That's correct.

• 4 months later...
That was only in the disputed 2000 election. If it was 269,269 I beileve it would be congress. If I remember correctly each state delegation in Congress gets one vote and whoever gets a majority of them wins, or something crazy like that. But it might be just a regular vote.

The reason it went to the Supeme Court was because it looked as if the winner of Florida would win, it wasn't a 269,269 tie. Hope That Helps.

The Supreme Court looked at it because George Bush sued to have the recount stopped. They ruled down party lines not to count the votes again, handing Bush the election.

I still, to this day, fail to see what the harm was in making sure that they counted the votes correctly, unless Bush didn't think that he did win.

Anyway, I won as Vilsack!!! My strategy: Spacebar.

I was just going to spacebar the whole way through, and play with whoever won the nomination. It was Edwards, Obama, or Shillary left, and I saw an oppurtunity to get Obama and Clinton's endorsemnts and the game. I did just that, and won without winning a single state. :blink:

vilsack.png