270soft Forum

Primary Battles

Here's the first one I've played, as Warner on the 2008 campaign:

dem.jpg

Got close to defeating Hillary but she made a comeback at the very end of primary season and she won at the DNC's 2nd vote.

What type of primaries have you guys had?

obamabayhvsmcainjebbushwg0.png

Well I thought I would show the general election after I norrowly won the nomination The candidates were Obama/Bayh vs McCain/Jeb Bush Has anyone had a state that was once called for the oppsition start to swing and change colors toward the end of the election? cause Iowa did just that it was 49.9 -50.1

Great victories, guys.

I wrapped up another 2008 game with the same settings I did before (hard mode but without fog of war) yesterday afternoon, and here were the results.

dem3b.jpg

A very difficult primary campaign against Hillary, but luckily I got Kerry's endorsement and went on to edge off Hillary just after the last primary.

dem3d.jpg

Even luckier for me, McCain and Romney fought all the way up till the RNC and I was able to build up support during that time to snatch the victory. Hillary was veep (Romney was veep for the GOP).

Clark-obamavsAllen-Guliani.jpg

This is one of the weridest games I have had thus far in the new game. I play as Clark in 2008 fought everybody off accept Obama. We were neck and neck, up until the last primary! Nationally it was Obama at 49.8% Clark at 50.2%. I offered him VP so I could win the nomination without having a bunch of attack on me.

On the Republicans side all the candidates were still in the game after all the primaries were done! Giuliani 15.5% Mccain 15.5% Gingrich 15.5% Frist 14.8 Romney 16.8 Allen 12.7 Before the Republican Convention Giuliani Drop out but didn't endorse anybody, which shocked me! well just like a day or two before the convention Gingrich drop out and endorse McCain. After this it made McCain the clear Frontrunner but not by much, maybe like 6 or so %. Well then it came around time for the convention. Romney drop out and the votes were split in half. As this was happening the electoral map looked like I was going to be the clear winner in the general Election. I had a good # of the states after my convention. It looked like I was going to have landslide victory. Over in the Republican Convention, Frist drop out making his votes up for grabs. McCain only took 54 of Frist votes while Allen took most of his votes. (around 400) Giving Allen the nomination. I thought some deal had been made between him and Frist for the Vice-Presidency, but I guess I was wrong cause Allen choice for VP was Giuliani! After the Republican Convention Allen got huge boast in the polls giving him a locket for a little bit on the Electoral college. Nationally the polls were Clark 37% Allen 46% :angry: I gave up on CA From the Start cause i was polling at 28% there for some reason. at this Point OH, AZ, NM, PA, FL, NY, VT, NH, CT, RI, MI, WI, NC, SC were in play which suck toward the end is where it start to swing toward Clark but I still wasn't too sure that I would win. If I would have lost OK or CT which were the closest states, I would have lost the election.

I don't have a picture, and I'm not sure if it can be re-created, but I won the Democratic primary in 2004 as Carol Moseley Braun. I locked in Illinois and DC easily, then flooded California with footsoldiers and ads and took it too. This, along with delegates in other states, moved me up to fifth place. Then, after getting a few endorsements, I managed to get up to third, with Dean and Edwards in first and second. I managed to pull briefly ahead of Edwards and got him to endorse me, just before the convention, effectively giving me the majority of delegates. Then I got destroyed in the general. But it was still fun.

I just finished playing as Joe Lieberman in the 2004 Democratic primarys. I won Iowa by 4 points over Richard Gephardt then I continued winning some primarys in the mid-west and new england area, but my momentum started to build when John Kerry endorsed me, but it was Al Sharpton the man to beat. In an all important New Jersey primary, I was leading my closest opponent by 10 points, that was until General Wes Clark won the primary and gained the most delegates. It came down to me and John Edwards at the convention, with Edwards gaining delegates from Wes Clark and Al Sharpton, I lost the 2004 Democratic nomination by some 200 delegate votes. Good fun anyway! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is one of the closest Pirmaries I played thus far. It take 1565 to win the nomination.

Here how it was before the convention

Clinton 27.1% / 1,235/ 8 states

Gore 30.9% / 831/ 23 states

Bayh 41.9% /1,062/ 20 states

Final after Gore Withdraw at the convention

Clinton 1,561

Bayh 1,567

I still don't know Clinton lead in delegates which only carried 8 states.bayhvsclintonlx2.png

Turnout is based on the scenario variables for population, and the 'alienated' number, which are then put into a function that determines turnout. This is affected during the game by people becoming alienated, and also by factors that boost turnout - in particular, Footsoldiers and Momentum on the actual election.

Hope this helps,

The 80soft Team

So, uh, is there no way to change the turnout without editting the scenario?
Turnout is based on the scenario variables for population, and the 'alienated' number, which are then put into a function that determines turnout. This is affected during the game by people becoming alienated, and also by factors that boost turnout - in particular, Footsoldiers and Momentum on the actual election.

Hope this helps,

The 80soft Team

Cool, it's all complicated and what not. Nice :D

• 2 weeks later...

Had the most annoying game today. It was about two weeks before the democratic convention and I have almost 1000 delegates more than Hilary and I am about 15% higher. Then in one week, Edwards and Gore endorse her for some reason. Gore has about 700 delegates and Edwards has 500. She ends up just beating me for the nomination, even though at this point I have nearly 20% higher than her.

I almost won as Tom Vilsack :D At the beginning I was determened to fight to the finish like Kuchnich in 2004. At first the only state I was winning was Nebraska after extensive campaigning. But my campaign really kicked off when I recieved General Wesley Clark's endorsement just days prior to the California primary. Thanks to Clark's endorsement won the California Primary with 48 percent of the vote. That day I also won New Mexico and South Dakota. When all the primarys finished there was 3 candidates left Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and I (Vilsack). In the spin news I was predicted to win the nomination and face off against Sam Brownback. But my campaign was shattered when I "dropped out" of the race and gave 60 percent of my 1074 delegates to Al Gore and 40 percent to "Shillary". In the end, Clinton won and she selected Senator Bill Nelson as her running mate. I ran her campaign into the ground and won 44 percent of the vote and 168 Electoral Votes to Sam Brownback's 56 percent of the vote and 370 Electoral Votes. I would post an image if I knew how to. But I was surprised that I managed to get all the way to the DNC in Denver. Great Fun though :D

I just won as Vilsack (the primaries, since that's all I usually play)...campaigned heavily in IA, NV, and NH and finished second in SC, all of which gave me a lot of momentum to hold my own through Super Tuesday...I spent a lot of time touting Vilsack's health care plan in TV ads, and attacked "Hillary-care" and spent the rest of my money running this ad the week before Super Tuesday, which was all but swept by Clinton, who held twice as many delegates at that point. Then I focused on collecting endorsements. Got Biden to go along on Feb. 25th, and Gore, Edwards, and several others through March. By mid-April, Hillary was roughly around 2000 delegates (projected), Vilsack was at 1500, and Clark had the rest (Clark viewed me with 100 relations, compared to 27 Clinton). Managed to finish in a dead heat in NC, win PA, and almost run away with California. Shortly after that, Clark drops out and endorses me. I make Hillary my VP about 3 weeks before convention.

My greatest primary achievement so far was winning the Republican nomination as Duncan Hunter. It came down to the final weeks of primary season with me taking on Sam Brownback. I had enough political capital left over to get him to sign on as my veep. I took Iowa, skipped New Hampshire, and won Super Tuesday silly, giving me enough momentum to win states I never stepped foot in.

I did end up losing to Clinton/Richardson in the general in the electoral college, even though I won the popular vote 51-49. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd share this little gem with all of you.

I was just playing the stock 2008 campaign through the primaries as Vilsack, and had all candidates turned on in all parties. I had a slow start, I didn't win many states. Then, when things were getting bad for other candidates I tried to get their endorsements, etc. I'm not sure if it was Clinton or Warner who got most all of them to drop out without endorsing anyone, but the only one endorsement I got was from Kerry. That came early in March and gave me the momentum to win the states that I was campaigning in heavily. I won all the states on March 9th and then managed to work up to just over 1000 delegates by the end of the primary season. At that point it was a three way tie between Clinton, Warner and myself. Clinton had a few more delegates than I did and Warner had a few less. I kept trying to get Warner's endorsement because I knew if he dropped out, I would lose.

He dropped out.

The final delegate count came to Clinton: 1565, Vilsack: 1563.

:o

Anyhow, I got Vilsack the veep spot and then quit the game.

Sure would've been nice to get that third party option on this one.

That is the closest race I've ever had.

Just beat Allen with Wes Clark 281 to 257. Didn't think I would win as I was behind going in and the day before Allen leaked a huge scandel on me, somehow won anyway. Turnout was 120 mil, my highest so far I think. Won Nevada by 989 votes!

Evan Bayh / Harold Ford = 52,511,753 (43.8)

Tommy Thompson / Kay Bailey Hutchison = 52,644,032 (43.9)

Mike Bloomberg / Anthony Zinni = 14,669,238 (12.2)

Bayh - 279

Thompson - 259

New Mexico

BAYH 361,923

THOMPSON 361,411

BLOOMBERG 35,010

Americans Abroad

BAYH 16,128

THOMPSON 16,093

BLOOMBERG 3,957