270soft Forum

Strategy/Theme Question

Does anyone ever change their strategy during the course of a campaign in regards to the three main theme topics? Do you do it specifically when you are winning or losing or does it matter to you at all?

I usually change the theme to my desired topics at the beginning of an election, but as things get rolling on, I typically forget to do anything with them. I just wondered what everyone elses' uses for Theme topics were.

Thanks,

Brak60

I'm just trying to understand what you mean here:

So you will have three "positive" theme topics for your first few weeks such as (just for an example): integrity/your candidate, Experience/your candidate, business tax/your candidate.

Then with three weeks to go, you switch to (let's say) integrity/against other candidate, balanced budget/ against other candidate, same sex marriage/ against other candidate.

Do I have that right, or do you just mean that with three weeks to go, you will start releasing negative ads?

If I am right, do you focus specifically on what your opponent is weak on, or do you choose the theme issues that are the hot button issues of that particular campaign (brought up by other candidtates, external events, etc.)?

HRC,

Is there a specific point in the campaign when you start to go negative or does it depend on the campaign?

Also, what is it that you typically attack? Integrity? Leadership? or is it one of the overall issues such as balanced budget, terrorism, et al.?

I, too, often switch from "integrity" to "terrorism" before the opening salvos of the campaign.

For me this really dpends on circumstance.

If your opponent is weak in someregard I almost always use that ina negatvie way for atleast a week.

However, you must watch out for the news calling your campaign to negative, or your attacks backfiring.

What I meant by my earlier post was that I usually in my last 3 weeks change at least one of my themes to a negative. Otherwise you can have all the momentum in the world and it still won't do anything since there are not any undecided voters to convince anymore.

I only stay for the two days that I get something out of barnstorming. Unless I have foot soldiers there, I don't really see the point in being there?

I've never had a theme that was attacking my opponent; I knew I could have that, I've just never considered it. Maybe that's what I should turn to! :D I've done quite well nonetheless, though :)

HRC,

Is there a specific point in the campaign when you start to go negative or does it depend on the campaign?

Also, what is it that you typically attack? Integrity? Leadership? or is it one of the overall issues such as balanced budget, terrorism, et al.?

I, too, often switch from "integrity" to "terrorism" before the opening salvos of the campaign.

I usually attack integrity and leadership. If for instance I am losing states I focus on "wedge" issues on which my opponent and I disagree and find issues in these states that I can capitalize on to weaken my opponents positon. Always make a few ads that promote your candidates leadership and integrity in order to boost your chances in Fair states.