270soft Forum

Some minor suggestions

Just things I'm thinking of as I'm playing 2008 with the latest update.

Biden's position on Iraq is listed as Center-Right (We have successfully liberated Iraq. We must train security forces and maintain our presence there.) In fact, his position (which you can find at http://uniteourstates.com/documents/iraq_a_way_forward.pdf) is a bit more complicated than that. In a nutshell, he wants increased autonomy for each ethnic group, a renegotiated settlement regarding oil profits, increased aid tied to protection of minority and women's rights, a regional security conference with all of Iraq's neighbors (including Iran), and a goal of having most troops out by the end of 2007.

Admittedly, that doesn't easily fit any of the in-game positions on that issue, but it strikes me, at least, as more of a dead-center position than "center-right." (Others here may disagree, of course.)

On a related note, Kerry now takes more of a center-left position on Iraq (i.e. begin withdrawal, set a timetable).

There are only five national endorsers at first, and two of them are on the same issue (unions). It seems like there could be more variety. Off the top of my head, you could throw in a pro-choice and/or pro-life group, the National Education Association, Club For Growth (personal tax), or AARP (Social Security). I'm sure people can think of some others.

Richard Lugar shouldn't be a crusader for Biden. I don't know if the two of them are friends (they might be, given that they're both foreign policy wonks), but still, Lugar wouldn't cross over and support Biden like that.

Overall, I am pleased with the changes that have been made in version 1.00.3. But let me make a couple of suggestions for future updates.

First of all, I hate how foot soldiers "expire" now. That's pretty annoying and tends to defeat the purpose of the endorsers. Second, ads seem to cost a little too much in the primaries. Third, I don't like how candidates withdraw without notice and without giving anyone the chance to entice them to make an endorsement. Fourth, and most importantly, I **hate** how when you convince a candidate to withdraw and endorse you, most of his votes don't go to you. That's not fair. And it's pretty arbitrary at the (contested) conventions to have delegates split allegiances now.

Also, I would say that 80soft is simply reading the political tea leaves incorrectly to put the 2008 Republican candidates (in descending order of front-runner status) as:

Giuliani

McCain

Gingrich

Frist

Romney

Allen

Most GOP insiders are saying that ROMNEY is situated to challenge McCain and/or Giuliani from the right, whereas Gingrich is more of a long-shot because of all the baggage he has from the Clinton era. Certainly Romney has much more of a political organization at this point, has hired many more high-level staffers, and has raised more money than have Gingrich, Frist, or Allen. So if I were you guys I would bump Romney up. I would make this the order (in terms of starting cash, how-well-known, and how-well-established):

Giuliani

McCain

Romney

Gingrich

Frist

Allen

(Now, there is a caveat, and that is that McCain probably has better organization at this point than Giuliani, but Giuliani consistently ranks higher in early polls than McCain. So who is the "front runner"? It's hard to tell.)

Furthermore, I want to suggest that you guys add Obama to the Dems' 2008 candidates, now that he has hinted that he may very well run. Maybe you could take out Warner (or at least make him default to OFF), and also add Al Gore who may very well run as well.

Finally, I want to make one last suggestion: make a 2000 scenario as well!