270soft Forum

End of Primaries/Beginning of General

I have now played through the game a few times, and I've noticed that after the final primaries and before the convention, there is a huge surge of negative momentum that seems to be proportional to how many delegates you have. As Clark, I got Edwards to drop out of the primaries in exchange for the veep slot (the feature is super-cool now that I understand it). This gave me enough delegates to secure my victory over Hillary Clinton. However, my momentum dropped to -4.1, Clinton's was at about -3.7, and Kerry and Biden, who each had less than 100 delegates, had momentums in the slight positive side (Warner was not in the game, since in real life he has decided not to run).

This negative momentum dogged me throughout the summer. I lost foot soldiers faster than I could replace them. My command points dropped to nearly nothing. It continues into the general election. In the beginning of September, Frist/McCain has +1.5 while Clark/Edwards has -1.1! In addition, we started out way behind.

I've got tons of foot soldiers, even after losing many before the convention, and I barnstorm like crazy. I even have done the "develop campaign" thing -- nothing seems to be helping. Any ideas/suggestions?

It seems like they over-did the negative momentum thing. I hope a future update will mitigate the problem, or at least provide players with a way to mitigate/avoid it, so it's not inevitable. Or at the very least they should make negative momentum affect the opposing party/computer player as well.

It seems like they over-did the negative momentum thing. I hope a future update will mitigate the problem, or at least provide players with a way to mitigate/avoid it, so it's not inevitable. Or at the very least they should make negative momentum affect the opposing party/computer player as well.

Yeah, that's the thing -- it's twice as bad because my opponent actually enjoys positive momentum as I slip further into the negative. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but "develop campaign" seems to help somewhat to bring momentum back to normal. Of course, correllation doesn't equal causation, so it could just be that my momentum was leveling off at the same time I was fooling around with that. Even with developing the campaign, though, my CPs dropped, morale sank to -1 almost everywhere, and foot soldiers dropped like flies, initiating a dangerous vicious cycle. All the ad buys, barnstorming, etc. in the world can't help me -- although I've made it close a couple of times (one election literally swung on three electoral votes -- which I of course lost) I cannot seem to win a full game with primaries on. If I take over the election without primaries, I do pretty well.

It may be that I'm doing something wrong, I don't know (maybe I'm not laying the groundwork in the primaries well enough?).

I think the problem might be that all the othe Democrats are still in play, but they don't have anything to do until the convention, so they run negative ads on the frontrunner.

Yes, that's a HUGE part of this. In the primaries as Clark, I secured enough delegates to win outright. I planned to make Russ Feingold my VP, so I didn't make an offer to anyone else. Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, and Biden all attacked me like crazy. They used all their resources to drag down the person who would be their party's nominee.

The Democratic Convention rolls around, and I'm officially nominated. Feingold becomes my running mate. The next week's newspaper is dominated by headlines such as "Clark Scandal!!" "Clinton unveils controversial ad on Clark" "Al Gore campaigns against Clark".

With friends like these...

• 2 weeks later...