270soft Forum

List Index out of bounds error

I got this error on August 18. 2008 when I try to go to the next week.

List index out of bounds (-1)

Also, I've gotten the error preventing me from leaking a scandal, in version .2.

This is a fun game - the primary part is wonderful, the general election is growing on me...what I'm wondering is if all the weirdness of red-blue states at the beginning is because the player didn't lay the groundwork well enough during the primaries. On this one, I worked Edwards' butt off getting 5 foot soldiers in all the traditional blue states as well as the swingy states (VA, NC, AZ, MO, etc). The general election seemed to start reasonably well for Edwards, until the August 18th thing.

I played as Clinton last night, and started the general election down by over 400 electoral votes. Came back and won with 283, even though the popular vote was 46.7 to 53.3. The final Monday I was -8 in both IA and VT, -5 in DE, -4 in CO, -2 in WV, and even in TX. I ran 1 TV ad for and 1 TV against for Monday and Tuesday, and ended up winning all of those states. No other external influences from what I can remember. I needed them all to win, and I liked winning. I don't know if it's realistically possible to do that though.

A few thoughts/hopes/suggestions:

I'm glad you're tweaking the offers - it's a great idea. If you could create more of a recruiting/negotiating session during the convention, that would be more interesting.

The period between the democratic convention and the start of the campaign is about as smooth as a fire alarm. It just takes me out of the game and confuses me. It needs to be smoothed out, though after I've played it a few more times, I might get used to it.

The election night thing is great - if there was a speed toggle, it would be even better.

I don't know XML, I hope the candidate editor won't be over my head!

Overall, this game has kept me from doing work I should be doing. That's a good sign. :)

This is a fun game - the primary part is wonderful, the general election is growing on me...what I'm wondering is if all the weirdness of red-blue states at the beginning is because the player didn't lay the groundwork well enough during the primaries. On this one, I worked Edwards' butt off getting 5 foot soldiers in all the traditional blue states as well as the swingy states (VA, NC, AZ, MO, etc). The general election seemed to start reasonably well for Edwards, until the August 18th thing.

I figured that was part of it -- that in the GOP primary, they had to work New York, while as Clinton, I didn't, thus the New York electorate was more impressed with McCain than me.

I played as Clinton last night, and started the general election down by over 400 electoral votes. Came back and won with 283, even though the popular vote was 46.7 to 53.3.

I won as Hillary 319 to 219, despite losing the popular vote 47.5 to 52.5 -- a perfectly possible scenario, given the way it broke down state by state. I got trounced by 40% to 50% in the South and plains, while I won the coasts and mid-west by 10% to 20% -- no close states, but the vote was thrown by the way I got slaughtered where McCain won.

Okay here's one for ya - between the time the primaries end and before the democratic convention begins...does it seem as the momentum hit is alittle strong? I'm playing as Clinton, I got Biden and Kerry to endorse me so I've got the nomination wrapped...I'm running all over the country with visits and ads trying to put out the fire...I'm losing 3-5 foot soldiers per turn, and my momentum is down to -5.0.

The ads help a little, but it's like a one man versus a forest fire thing.

I agree. As Sharpton (:D) I ended the primary season with a decent lead (~1000 delegates to Lieberman's 500), but since everyone else was on 'campaign mode' they kept up the negative ads, which kept my closeness to other candidates low :( meaning I lost in the convention.

Oh, that's another thing; how does one keep good relations with other candidates? By the end of campaigning my scores with others were miniscule (except with Lieberman, oddly enough, who was at about 80), but everyone else's scores with each other were high.