270soft Forum

Nation's electoral vote

HorckDude

Right now, when you play the game the number of electoral votes in the upper right corner always says 538, even though you change the states' individial electoral votes. Apparently this number is not calculated by counting the total number of electoral votes of the states. However, it does work correctly for the electoral strategy and election night screen, where the correct number of electoral votes for a win is calculated.

Can this be fixed in a next version?

Ow, I just thought of another idea:

Is it possible to add a variable in the scenario config file in which you can disable the electoral system so the winner is chosen by the popular vote? It would give people the oppertunity to create non-US scenario without having to adapt the American electoral college (which, while fun in this game, is a very dated system). Also, people can create future US elections in which there has been some kind of democratic reform.

You would still have the various states colored red and blue to see who has the majority, but everywhere in the game where you'd normally see electoral votes they would now just be gone, or replaced by the popular vote.

I'm no programmer, but I think adding this variable wouldn't be too hard. It would be great if it would be possible to adopt this.

Hi HorckDude,

If my memory serves me correctly, this bug has been identified and fixed (in the latest internal version). Thanks!

Winner by popular vote: this is an interesting idea, and it would be easy to implement as far as what the game looks for in the function that determines who wins the election. I'm imagining it would take a bit of work to actually change over the rest of the game to just percentages, and to change over the computer AI. However, it would make an interesting hypothetical even with just the function at the end of the game that determines who wins. The suggestion is noted.

I see, thank you for commenting :)

But one more thing: right now, if there is no majority in the electoral college the house will choose who will be president. But if you get rid of the electoral college in the game it should also be possible to have a second round instead of having the house pick the winner.

This could be as simple as adding a value to the scenario config for the second election day. After there is no majority, the two contestents with the highest percentages battle eachother in the second round, and the others will be kicked out (if that's the player it's just GAME OVER for him/her).

The game would basically just resume for another few weeks, and the candidates would receive additional funding for their campaigns.

Enabling such a function could also happen with switching a 'second round' value from 0 to 1 in the scenario config.

Just another suggestion, I hope I didn't gave you a headache with all this. ;)

Hi HorckDude,

If my memory serves me correctly, this bug has been identified and fixed (in the latest internal version). Thanks!

Winner by popular vote: this is an interesting idea, and it would be easy to implement as far as what the game looks for in the function that determines who wins the election. I'm imagining it would take a bit of work to actually change over the rest of the game to just percentages, and to change over the computer AI. However, it would make an interesting hypothetical even with just the function at the end of the game that determines who wins. The suggestion is noted.

This would be a great addon for scenarios I create for Governor races and stuff...that way I can have a county return system without the electoral process...

Hi HorckDude,

This would be a great addon for scenarios I create for Governor races and stuff...that way I can have a county return system without the electoral process...

Ooooh, speaking of Governor's races, I'm making a Wyoming 2002 scenario :lol:

I need to work on that - :)

I see, thank you for commenting :)

But one more thing: right now, if there is no majority in the electoral college the house will choose who will be president. But if you get rid of the electoral college in the game it should also be possible to have a second round instead of having the house pick the winner.

This could be as simple as adding a value to the scenario config for the second election day. After there is no majority, the two contestents with the highest percentages battle eachother in the second round, and the others will be kicked out (if that's the player it's just GAME OVER for him/her).

The game would basically just resume for another few weeks, and the candidates would receive additional funding for their campaigns.

Enabling such a function could also happen with switching a 'second round' value from 0 to 1 in the scenario config.

Just another suggestion, I hope I didn't gave you a headache with all this. ;)

it is the way it works in France ;) 2 rounds between the 2 firsts except that there is not that (very contestable) electoral votes system