270soft Forum

Of the first 10 presidents, which was best?

Assuming history is 100% accurate; Out of the first 10 presidents, who do you think did the best?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming history is 100% accurate; Out of the first 10 presidents, who do you think did the best?

• George Washington
    • John Adams
    • Thomas Jefferson
    • James Madison
    • James Monroe
    • John Quincy Adams
    • Andrew Jackson
    • Martin Van Buren
    • William Henry Harrison
    • John Tyler

You've got to love numero uno. George Washington was a leader who knew where we should be on the world scale...not on it yet. He gave us some very good wisdom for a starting President. He set the precedent of only 2 terms, which seems fair, and he had led us to victory in our revolt. He was a war-hero, turned President.

best humans? he wrote the declaration of independence while still owning slaves. he had multiple affairs with his slave and u call him one of the best humans. now i agree he was a fonding father and did great things for the country but thomas jefferson the politician is much better than thomas jefferson the person

GO KERRY

Thomas Jefferson wasn't a bad person. He owned slaves, a great many people did. He actually wanted to put in a caveat that banned slavery at first, though not enough support was there. His "affair" with one of his slaves a) probably didn't happen and B) if it did, happened long after his wives demise, so it was fornication, but he was not an adulterer. It's not as though he could have married her anyway, she was his property at the time. Then again, a nephew of his on his fathers side claimed that he impregnated the woman who purportedly had his child, since it was his father's side DNA testing that far back would show the same male DNA.

2 things matt

1) just because alot of other people do it doesn't mean it's right

2) i know about that clause he wanted to put in but the great leaders of the south didn't wanna give up the slave

3) their is proof that the affair not only happened but jefferson fathered atleast 1 baby by his slave

Yes, I know that it doesn't make it right just cause a lot of people do it...it just makes it more common and doesn't inherently make him a bad person.

The proof, again, is DNA evidence which I understand could also prove that Jefferson's nephew sired any of those children. In fact, anyone who shares that one gene could have sired that child...meaning nealy any male on Jefferson's father's side of the family.

yes matty i've finally changed your mind on something next i will convince u that kerry will be a better president than bush i should be done doing that right after pigs fly and right before hell freezes over

:lol:

Yea...that'll be the day. Jefferson should not have owned slaves if he felt strongly enough to try to end slavery...but he did. ::shrugs::

Jefferson, as a President, I feel is overrated. Besides the Louisiana Purchase, what did he do while President that makes him worthy of the greats? Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling the Louisiana Purchase, but can anyone name one other thing unrelated to it that makes Jefferson a great President?

First there was his attack on the Bank of the US, which was our first attempt at a national monetary system. He vowed to destroy that. Second, there was his treatment of the Native Americans, forcing them westward.

In 1829, American demand for land due to population growth and the discovery of gold on Cherokee land led to pressure on Native American lands. In 1830, Congress passed the Indian Removal Act that Jackson signed into law. The act was challenged successfully by the Cherokee Nation in 1832 in the US Supreme Court as Worcester v. Georgia, in 1832. Despite the Supreme Court decision, Jackson took no action to uphold the Court verdict, and in fact would openly defy it; he was quoted as saying "John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it!" As the court has no executive powers to enforce its decisions, Jackson's executive disregard of the court marked a time when the Judicial branch of government was very weak.

The state of Georgia held two land lotteries in 1835 to divide the Cherokee land, and Jackson sent military support to oust the Native population. This led to what is now known as the "Trail of Tears", which killed roughly four thousand Cherokee (25%), en route to Oklahoma.

Biography - A little rosey-colored.

While the Bank of the USA may have been a bit overpowered, it was a private organization that the US Government owned stock in. I still believe it was Constitutoinal. I like our system we have today, but that system was still a good, working system. His blatent weakening of the Judicial branch, his disregard for the Native peoples, his attack on the Bank of the US, all make me not a fan.

Besides the Louisiana Purchase, what did he do while President that makes him worthy of the greats? Don't get me wrong, I'm not belittling the Louisiana Purchase, but can anyone name one other thing unrelated to it that makes Jefferson a great President?

He is on the two dollar bill? Is that considered greatness? heh heh