270soft Forum

Status of the next President Forever update

Personally, I think they're going to scrap the next update. They're going to look at potential new interest and realize that after the election, public interest in politics has nose-dived, and there's not enough potential for new growth. In the foreign markets, however, elections are on different schedules, so a marketing mind would probably view the foreign versions as smart planning for the future. There won't be another American Presidential election, on the other hand, for four more years.

What is the only way an update to President Forever could be profitable? Though even this is questionable, they might believer they have enough interest to hit us all up again, and so, on the off-chance they do decide to go through with it, count on another $10 or $20 to update.

And I thought the PF world would be better than the Power Politics world...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Politics is like football, no, it's like poker! The winners sit around and laugh and the losers say 'deal, deal, deal.'" Richard Nixon as portrayed in Secret Honor

i think the updates would be great now, whenever, and that interest will not ebb for a bit yet, as there are a bunch of frustrated Dems that might want to re-play the '04 election again and again, until Kerry wins

Go 80Soft!!!!

We'll see. Believe me: I really want an update; I just don't think it's realistic to expect one at this point. Seriously, if they were anywhere near releasing an update, don't you think they would boast a little? Tantalize us with some screenshots? Try to drum up interest again for robust sales in this new update? It's hard to argue they wouldn't. And so, I think we will not see an update until the next primary cycle begins in 2007 or, failing that, they will hit us all up for another ~ $20 when they finally release this thing in a few months.

i think they are focusing on making money off of new foriegn customers over taking care of the american customers they already have and could potentially have

Well, that wasn't very nice.

The company that makes this game is Canadian, actually, so frankly I think there's enough American election games out there that they could stand to hold off on an update, if that's your attitude. Why not focus on a type of game, namely a parlimentary one, which has never been done before?

i think they are focusing on making money off of new foriegn customers over taking care of the american customers they already have and could potentially have

Well, that wasn't very nice.

The company that makes this game is Canadian, actually, so frankly I think there's enough American election games out there that they could stand to hold off on an update, if that's your attitude. Why not focus on a type of game, namely a parlimentary one, which has never been done before?

WHAT???? this update has been talked about since august-september. a lot of people myself included have been waiting for months.

Yes, I agree. Despite being Canadian, I would love to see an update to the game.

I'm just responding to the attitude that the game creator is catering to "foreign" customers.

I love PM Forever and am looking forward to seeing an update to it, especially the UK version, but I'd love to see the long-awaited update to President Forever.

But I agree...I don't understand why they created the Australian scenario...

We'll see. Believe me: I really want an update; I just don't think it's realistic to expect one at this point. Seriously, if they were anywhere near releasing an update, don't you think they would boast a little? Tantalize us with some screenshots? Try to drum up interest again for robust sales in this new update? It's hard to argue they wouldn't. And so, I think we will not see an update until the next primary cycle begins in 2007 or, failing that, they will hit us all up for another ~ $20 when they finally release this thing in a few months.

There was supposed to be a "major upgrade" to President 2000, but it never came.

I agree that Hotpot and the game are visionary and great and all, but I'm just trying to bring the few of us who've waited this long, who like it is this much, the true loyalists, back to reality. As much as I, too, would like to see an update, one's not coming. They're going to scrap it. Working on and releasing an update to PF is simply not economical at this point, though we may see updates or even new versions to the hodgepodge of PM games.

You don't get why they're working on all the other games? Let me try to explain. U.S. interest in politics has nose-dived since the election. Many of these foreign countries have elections on different schedules... the U.K. even has one coming up. Since a U.S. Presidential election is four years away, investing in these other countries will give a more immediate return.

Let's say they do release an update. A good number of those of us who bought before will again pony up about $20 or so to update our versions -- but not all of us. Do you honestly think there's more upside left in a group of people who've already paid than there is upside in an entirely new market? They can expand to PM Japan and get more new interest than they could hitting us up again.

And so, I have concluded that there will not be an update until about 2007, when the primaries come along again.

I agree that Hotpot and the game are visionary and great and all, but I'm just trying to bring the few of us who've waited this long, who like it is this much, the true loyalists, back to reality. As much as I, too, would like to see an update, one's not coming. They're going to scrap it. Working on and releasing an update to PF is simply not economical at this point, though we may see updates or even new versions to the hodgepodge of PM games.

You don't get why they're working on all the other games? Let me try to explain. U.S. interest in politics has nose-dived since the election. Many of these foreign countries have elections on different schedules... the U.K. even has one coming up. Since a U.S. Presidential election is four years away, investing in these other countries will give a more immediate return.

Let's say they do release an update. A good number of those of us who bought before will again pony up about $20 or so to update our versions -- but not all of us. Do you honestly think there's more upside left in a group of people who've already paid than there is upside in an entirely new market? They can expand to PM Japan and get more new interest than they could hitting us up again.

And so, I have concluded that there will not be an update until about 2007, when the primaries come along again.

If this is the case I will not be pleased and screw you other countries if that is why there will be no update.

I tend to think they are still working on it, and as I said, if not there will be a LOT of people who are mad.

I'd like to see a poll. P4e Primaries? or Update to one of the PM games?

I don't want to sound callous, but from an economic perspective how does it hurt Hotpot that you're angry? You've already paid for the product. By focusing on the foreign games, they're communicating pretty clearly that they think there's more money to be had from an Australian who's never played an election game than there is from an American who may or may not be willing to pay another $20 for primaries and networking. And quite frankly, that's probably true.

Moreover, the growth potential is greater for the foreign games. There are surely an untapped group of Australians, British and Japanese who've been waiting for a viable election game for years. I doubt there are many Americans saying, "God, I'd love to buy an election game, if only I could find one with primaries." My point is that the American market has been tapped and plundered, while the foreign markets have not.

No one, atleast that I saw said we're going to boycott them, or try to ruin them. I just said I'd be pissed! does that hurt them, no. But I know tony is not an asshole, and if many say, "look, I'll be pretty pissed off if after all this there won't be an update until 2007" I think he'd do well to get it done. It's more than economics, and making profit, it's about delivering on what you promised, and keeping your word.

That's a fair point, but I just don't think they're going to deliver. What I'd lilke instead is for them to release the source code or at least the part that would govern networking; that way, we could add some rudimentary version of multiplayer ourselves. I'm sure there's enough interest.