270soft Forum

I've been working on the Mass 06 election scenario over the past few ways, as the candidates seem to be solidified this past week, except which democrat will be candidate, so the scenario starts on the day after the september primary. A few dark-horse maybes and alternative candidates are included in it too. Now just setting up the issues and positions for the candidates, and to keep watching the polls for more data to estimate the poll numbers more accurately.

Republican: Kerry Healy (alt: Christy Mihos [now Ind], Andrew Card [bush's C of S])

Democrat: Deval Patrick or Tom Reilly (alt: Chris Gabrieli)

Independent: Christy Mihos (alt: 2002's Libertarian Carla Howell)

Green: Grace Ross (alt: 2002's Jill Stein)

info on the election: Wiki: Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 2006 (i've been contributing and receiving a lot of info to and from this page)

mass06.jpg

Good idea. I downloaded the 2002-MA scenario and it was pretty good. Do you have any state-specific issues like BigDig-MassPike or funding for the MBTA? Also, I noticed that you had both Christy Mihos and Carla Howell as a potential Independent candidiates. Mihos would do much better than Howell would (I think that Howell got less than 5% in 2002)

Good idea. I downloaded the 2002-MA scenario and it was pretty good. Do you have any state-specific issues like BigDig-MassPike or funding for the MBTA? Also, I noticed that you had both Christy Mihos and Carla Howell as a potential Independent candidiates. Mihos would do much better than Howell would (I think that Howell got less than 5% in 2002)

I added Howell to that so one could run Mihos as a Republican but still have a second small party candidate, though there is the problem that she would have Christy's poll numbers (Carla might be the Lib. candidate for senate, if she announces that, I'd take her off this list). I do have cape Wind and the MBTA on my new list of issues. Tolls on the MassPike would be a good one to add. What Big Dig issues are there at this point? I'm very open to ideas. (Thanks about MA-02, it was my first full scenario i made, and the first election i voted in, but it think this one will be better as the issues will be more relevent and easier to come up with for all the candidates etc...)

PS: the Santos/Vinnick scenario was great!

On an completely unrelated and out of nowhere note: If I woke up in the night and saw Grace Ross right next to me in bed, I'd scream, run to the kitchen, get a knife, and kill myself.

That is all. :blink:

But yes, the scenario looks good. Good, clear pictures for the canidates too.

• 1 month later...

Recent events have added issues, or at least made original issue more important.

• MassHealth program - mandating that everyone in the state have health insurance
  • Illegal Immigrants - in particular the issue of in-state tuition for college
  • Immenent Domain - an issue opened up by last years US Supreme Court decsion WRT the city of New London, CT

Recent events have added issues, or at least made original issue more important.
  • MassHealth program - mandating that everyone in the state have health insurance
  • Illegal Immigrants - in particular the issue of in-state tuition for college
  • Immenent Domain - an issue opened up by last years US Supreme Court decsion WRT the city of New London, CT

i had thought of the first two myself very recently, imminient domain is a good one to add. it kind of goes along with the local control of public land issue that's been big lately, though it has a major differences in some ways, so i'll probably add it.

the candidates are shaping up well in my scenario and i've been using excel to create a good approximation of electoral trends from the 02 results and the feb through april polling numbers. i feel i'm doing it a lot more carefully than the 2002 one so it should be even better. i made new party logos for Independent and Green-Rainbow (the Massachusetts state seal of Mihos, and the GRP logo, better than a G since it's both Green Party and Rainbow Coalition)

the scenarios starts the day after the september primary when all parties candidates will be finalized. i'm probably not gonna submit this till June after the state conventions when we know who will definitely be on the primary ballot (and thus possibilities for november) (also by then i might be able to make the primary part of the game too:) but i'll probably get an almost finished version next month, (probably when procrastinating right before my qualifyers).