270soft Forum

Undecided and none variables

When editing a scenario (in this case the standard 2004 scenario), the undecided is 20% and the none is 0%. First of all, what does the none represent?

I modified the undecided to 35%, and the committed to 70% for each region. To my surprise, the polls started with about 30-35% for the 2 candidates, and by the end of the 6 weeks, the overall poll showed only 65% for the 2 candidates with 0% undecided. Does (committed + undecided + none) have to equal 100%?

Well, I figured it out - "none" means that percentage of voters just don't vote. I had put every state at none = 35%, when I had meant to put none =0% and undecided at 35%.

The only issue I have with the none variable is that it doesn't seem to be necessary for the game. In any election, there will always be a certain percentage of people who do not vote - but the polls do not reflect this "none" group of voters. The percentages displayed are for people likely to vote. The game should simply ignore these "none" voters.

interesting thought. the amount negative campaigning shoud be a determing factor in turning off voters. Negative keeps your opponent voters at home, while positive brings yours to the polls. (or negative turns them undecided - and they might stay that way and stay at home unless given a good enough reason to vote for you)