270soft Forum

Chancellor Forever Released!

Anthony_270

Hi everybody,

Some notes about Chancellor Forever's release:

1. There are discounts available (although orders for discounted purchases have to be processed manually) for owners of 80soft products.

If you ordered and missed the link to the page for owners of 80soft products, the way to make up the difference is 1) order using the appropriate link for an owner of 80soft products, 2) notify us that you have re-ordered, and 3) we can refund the original purchase, leaving you with the difference.

The link for owners of 80soft products is

http://80soft.com/cforever/purchase/owners.htm

for the English version, and

http://80soft.com/kforever/purchase/owners.htm

for the German version.

2. For designers, 80soft will be posting information on the forum about design specifics in the upcoming week.

3. Chancellor Forever is available in both English and German. The English version is called Chancellor Forever, the German version Kanzler Forever.

The link to the English information page is here

http://80soft.com/cforever/info/index.htm

The link to the German information page is here

http://80soft.com/kforever/info/index.htm

Good campaigning!

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

I don't know precisely how the German system works, but I do know some basics about it. There are ridings where election works just like in Canada, with FPTP, but the Germans also vote for a party whilst voting. There are additional seats that are awarded to parties in order to compensate distortions from FPTP to achieve proportional representation.

Excellent! *rubs hands* :)

It'll be nice to play a scenario, where you feel you got more than a superficial knowledge of the campaign and its ingredients. And it opens, finally, a way for me to make a Danish scenario - which would still be different from the real system, but a far superior approximation compared to the FPTP-systems.

Kudos to 80soft for this release, I'm awaiting its arrival!

Tony,

I haven't gone through the files yet to see the detail of Chancellor Forever handles the Hare-Niemeyer MMP calculations in the system, but I have one question. It relates to one of the problems that can result from using an MMP method as your electoral system. It's referred to as "overhand mandates" or something along those lines. Note the issue below as it was stated on a website describing the German electoral system.

"It is possible for a party, as happened in the 1998 elections in 13 cases, to have what are known as "overhang mandates" when it wins more more seats in the constituencies on the first vote than it is entitled to according to the results of the second vote calculation."

How would Chancellor Forever handle this situation if it arises on election night? Would the size of the legisature automatically increase to account for the "overhand mandates"? Would they be ignored?

Again, I haven't read all the scenario files, so maybe the answer can be found there. In any event, great product as always, and I look forward to playing it. I already have a couple of events in mind to add to scenarios, although the event, "German Constitutional Court Disallows Election" might be problematic (lol).

Take care.

Keith

Ok...now I have to wonder...will it be possible to bring over Canadian/British scenarios without needing to restructure them totally?

*rubs his hands together and prepares to lead the LibDem/Tory coalition to power*

Ok...now I have to wonder...will it be possible to bring over Canadian/British scenarios without needing to restructure them totally?

*rubs his hands together and prepares to lead the LibDem/Tory coalition to power*

Not a lot of Liberal Democrat about FDP. They're just a Liberalist party, nothing else. Unlike the Liberal Democrats in the UK, they campaign for lower taxes and greater personal freedom.

Guido Westerwelle qualifies as probably the most eel-like of any politician ever... *shudders*

OK, about the mechanics of MMP. To have a basic Canada MMP system, you just have to import the scenarios (don't forget graphics for it) and paste the lines:

"@hare-niemeyer

@end hare-niemeyer"

in the scenario.p4e file at the end. Doing so will result in every province getting more seats, I think it's according to population since Québec got 75 additional seats (a 1-to-1 ratio), but PEI only one more (a 4-to-1 ratio), and the three Northern territories don't get any. I don't know exactly how they get awarded.

Hi keithl4170,

Yes, overhanging seats are included in the Hare-Niemeyer calculations in the game. You can tell how many seats are overhanging by looking at the total seats for Hare-Niemeyer in the country. Without overhanging, this should be double the number of constituencies, so 598 in 2005. If it says there are 612, for example, then that would mean there are 14 overhanging seats.

As in real life, on election night the size of the Bundestag will be enlarged by however many overhanging seats there are.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Hi keithl4170,

Yes, overhanging seats are included in the Hare-Niemeyer calculations in the game. You can tell how many seats are overhanging by looking at the total seats for Hare-Niemeyer in the country. Without overhanging, this should be double the number of constituencies, so 598 in 2005. If it says there are 612, for example, then that would mean there are 14 overhanging seats.

As in real life, on election night the size of the Bundestag will be enlarged by however many overhanging seats there are.

Sincerely,

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Thanks for the response Tony.

Keith

I just finished transferring Canada-2004 into the game. I had to guess about how the secondary votes would go, but I think it's really good.

Although...for some reason, Chuck Cadman goes down to 1% of the vote in Surrey North.

But otherwise, I think I did a good job. ;)

Can somebody please explain to me how the German system works?

Like, you get your standard 308 seats, like for Canada, and how are the rest of the seats calculated? And how is it determined who sits in the extra seats?

I played my Canadian scenario in it, and it seems like, as the game goes on, the number of seats increases...

I don't know precisely how the German system works, but I do know some basics about it. There are ridings where election works just like in Canada, with FPTP, but the Germans also vote for a party whilst voting. There are additional seats that are awarded to parties in order to compensate distortions from FPTP to achieve proportional representation.

Okay, but how is it determined which candidate sits in those seats? Does each party create a list, or, after an election, does the parties just appoint candidates to sit in the seats they've won in a way they determine later?

Okay, but how is it determined which candidate sits in those seats? Does each party create a list, or, after an election, does the parties just appoint candidates to sit in the seats they've won in a way they determine later?

Lists. The whole "Member represents their constituency" thing doesn't really exist as it does here.