270soft Forum

Home stretch...

Hello Everbody,

So for those of your who don't know, I'm making a scenario on the 2004 Washington Governor's Race, and I've literally got ONE thing left. It's the issue positions. Now I'm fairly well politically minded about political beliefs, but I'm having trouble coming up with the leftist position and the rightest positions:

A Budget Crisis/Defecit

Right: Cut Spending, Do audits?

Left: Tax?

Jobs

Right: Tax incentives, Private Initiavtive?

Left: Government Initiative?

Tsunami Warnings/Tsunami Warning System

I got nothing, who isn't opposed to a tsunami warning system? How can there be a left and right here?

WASL

Doubt anyone would know about this one, the WASL is a standardized test taken every three years. You must pass it in 10th grade to graduate HS. Left/Right beliefs?

Asian Trade

Right: Try to keep trade in the US, don't trade with Vietnam?

Left: Pro-Asian Trade?

Crime

Dunno

Boeing

Airplane company that's had to cut a lot of jobs since 9/11. Not sure on Left/Right positions

Teacher Strikes/Education Funds

Right: Lower funds, stop the strikes?

Left: Increase funds to prevent strikes?

Military Bases

I guess both sides support the troops, but the leftist position would tend to not favor the bases.

Port Security:

I'd think it would be like terrorism, but I'm not sure.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this whole thing, I promise I won't be as clueless the second time...

truth be told, it doesn't really matter what you type in, its the number of the position that counts during the game IF you have regionalism on

for example,

isuue: Fred Flintsotne should fcuk Betty Rubble

1 (left) GO FOR IT FRED

2. Only if Barney wants to share

3. If Wilma says its ok

4. only if he and wilma and betty and barney divorce and fred marries betty

5. adultty should be punished by death

the game itself doesnt give a damn what is there - it could be 867t87519857097541

not an issue

truth be told, it doesn't really matter what you type in, its the number of the position that counts during the game IF you have regionalism on

for example, 

isuue: Fred Flintsotne should fcuk Betty Rubble

1 (left) GO FOR IT FRED

2. Only if Barney wants to share

3. If Wilma says its ok

4. only if he and wilma and betty and barney divorce and fred marries betty

5. adultty should be punished by death

the game itself doesnt give a damn what is there - it could be 867t87519857097541

not an issue

That's um, helpful I guess, and I understand it doesn't really matter, but I'm trying to make the thing as realilistic as possible.

This is just my take on it as an foreign outsider.

A Budget Crisis/Defecit

Right: Cut Spending, Do audits?

Left: Tax?

Yes. Or perhaps left could also be 'The deficit isn't a problem' and the centre-left could be 'tax'?

Jobs

Right: Tax incentives, Private Initiavtive?

Left: Government Initiative?

Government initiatives being moving government investments in infrastructure forward? If so, then yes. The tax incentives of the right would probably be a consumption-driven increase in jobs, so a tax cut?

Tsunami Warnings/Tsunami Warning System

I got nothing, who isn't opposed to a tsunami warning system? How can there be a left and right here?

Erm, if there's no disagreement on this issue, then why is it even an issue in the campaign?

WASL

Doubt anyone would know about this one, the WASL is a standardized test taken every three years. You must pass it in 10th grade to graduate HS. Left/Right beliefs?

In general right would be pro-test and left more anti-test?

Asian Trade

Right: Try to keep trade in the US, don't trade with Vietnam?

Left: Pro-Asian Trade?

The other way around? The unions seem to be the ones pushing protectionist meassures the most, and free trade seems to have most of its proponents among people generally considered as right of centre?

Crime

Dunno

Right: Punish more and longer. Left: Rehabilitation programs, community service used to a greater extent?

Boeing

Airplane company that's had to cut a lot of jobs since 9/11. Not sure on Left/Right positions

Again, is there a difference between what politicians offer as solutions to the job loss? Are left wingers calling for the state to support Boeing, and are the right believing in laissez faire?

Teacher Strikes/Education Funds

Right:  Lower funds, stop the strikes?

Left: Increase funds to prevent strikes?

That sounds like traditional left and right wing, yes.

Military Bases

I guess both sides support the troops, but the leftist position would tend to not favor the bases.

The bases provide jobs by the bucket-load, so again this may be a non-issue? I don't know, as I've made clear.

Port Security:

I'd think it would be like terrorism, but I'm not sure.

That sounds about right.

What sort of other issues do you have planned? I don't think all the issues have to be the red-hot ones. I like the idea of having issues there, that aren't really on the agenda, and that are put in on low profile. But they can then be 'talked up' during the campaign.

Anyways, as I hope is clear I'm just a wee johnny foreigner, who don't know about politics in the state of Washington, so you'd probably be best off taking the above with a pinch of salt ;)