270soft Forum

Best & Worst Campaigns you've played

Best campaign - I played Kerry/McCain vs. Bush/Cheney in 2004 and won 519-19!!! The key was flooding every state early with ads, taking away most of the undecided early.

Worst campaign - I played Kerry/Edwards vs. Bush/Cheney in 2004 and tied 269-269 with the senate choosing Bush/Cheney. My mistake was that I ran out of money the final week.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just beat Bush with Gore in A Nation Divisable (Great scenario, I think Hardright made it) anyway I got all the states but Idaho and Utah. Also got 58% of the popular vote. B)

I'm glad you liked it Swing Voter! :) I tried to make it as accurate and realistic as possible. I have had several close showdowns with Gore! :D

I just beat Bush with Gore in A Nation Divisable (Great scenario, I think Hardright made it) anyway I got all the states but Idaho and Utah.  Also got 58% of the popular vote. B)

I'm glad you liked it Swing Voter! :) I tried to make it as accurate and realistic as possible. I have had several close showdowns with Gore! :D

The one problem was that they got the same experience points, its just that ag govenor and the VP would be diffrnt it seems, other than that great scenario.

Some excellent results of mine:

Kerry/McCain- 394

Bush/Cheney - 144

(I bombarded the swing states with ads and foot soldiers while I hit Bush with scandal after scandal.)

Kerry/Edwards - 341

Bush/Cheney - 197

(This one was a total suprise. While I did flog Bush in all three debates ((Figuratively speaking, unless there was some rule change I was unaware of.)), I had no idea I would do so well in all of the swing states.

Bush/Cheney- 369

Dean/Kerry- 169

(The power of negative campaigning. Every speech was against Dean, every ad was an attack ad. But it worked! Plus, I won the first two debates (Tied the third), and thanks to strong independant showings I won Maryland and New Jersey!)

Some flops of mine:

Kerry/Dean - 200

Bush/Cheney - 338

(Ugh, while I was a force to be reckoned with in the American Northeast, I bombed on the west coast and that killed me. This is the first time I have won all three debates and still lost the election.)

Clark/Kerry - 192

Bush/Cheney - 346

(Bush pulverized me in the first debate, and we tied the next two. But although he only barely won the popular vote (6500 votes), he had a great showing in the EC. He also won my homestate (Arkansas))

First game Kerry/Edwards 283 EV 52 popular votes and we took Texas the only change I made was Kerry move to Cenerist on the Gun issure winning texas just felt good but in the end it nearly cost us Cali but we still took it

I'm so pathetic... I've only won once. :(

It was with Clinton in 1992. I beat Bush with something like 370 EVs. My worst was in 2004 with Hillary/Edwards vs. Ashcroft/Powell (Note: I created Ashcroft and Hillary). I won Texas but lost California. Very weird. I think I lost 271-267.

I've just played my first serious race as Ross Perot in the 1992 scenario.

I think I did pretty well: I got 22% of the popular vote and won a state, Maine, by 506 votes over Clinton. I came within a point or two in a few others like Oklahoma and Idaho, I guess I could've won more states if I just concentrated in those few areas, but that's not the way I play; I play to win and I try to go to every state I feel I can make an impact in.

Actually, it was the South that really killed me; I did better in the big states than I did nationally. In Texas, California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania I got 25-30% of the vote while in places like Alabama and South Carolina I got in the single digits.

However, I did cause Bush to get re-elected even though Clinton won the popular vote! :o

Games like this sure makes you wish you could have a "Career" mode and try to continue to build your 3rd party while new candidates come along to replace the old ones.

Just finished a gripping encounter between Washington and Adams (me as the latter - its description begins "After the signing of the Declaration of Independence..."). Washington had a clear early advantage but I plugged away and had every state but one blue with three weeks left. Sadly I then got tired and started making gaffes and ran out of speeches, allowing Washington to grab Pennsylvania and Massachussets again. It was still looking good up until election night (I was in the lead everywhere else by one or two percent) but evidently the polling was biased towards me because Washington won with 50%, 37 EV, 1,794,408 against my 49%, 32%, 1,765,594.

But it really was a spectacularly satisfying game. So close. It'll be getting replayed again soon.

My worst one was Agnew-Nixon (as Agnew) got wiped clean and ended with less than 150 EV. Best was coming narrowly first in the election in 92 with Perot (all three candidates on pretty well the same numbers of EVs), even though the Senate gave the White House to Bush again.

Aidan

Grrrr.... Playing as myself against Bush in the 2004 scenario, I just lost Washington by 3,000 votes losing the Presidency 278-260. (If I had won Washington, I would have won 271-267) :angry:

It was a very exciting election: I won Ohio by 0.8 points, Bush won Pennsylvania by 1.2 points, won big in Florida, Bush took Wisconsin..very close race.

Last time I played I landslided Bush and the time before that I lost narrowly, both games playing as myself. I was besieged by scandals this time around, and they occurred right at the end too which really stinks because that's the time you want to be barnstorming states and creating foot soldiers.

I won all 3 debates by a large margin for the first time ever. Oh well, just gives me more motivation the next time around! :D

I just played the '2008 - Powell' scenario, where Colin Powell runs as an independent, and this has to be my best campaign so far :)

I made a lot of foot soldiers and about midway into the campaign changed my position on gun control from centre-right to centre. This seemed to help me in California and New York and I then paid a lot of attention to Texas to try and get a lead there. I was helped a lot by Osbourne and Clark attacking each other a lot, with about two scandals per candidate.