270soft Forum

Aussie PMF Results

Justin

I managed a landslide for ALP on my first time round with the game:

ALP 50% 99

Lib 39% 39

Nats 6% 12

Green 5% -

My first thoughts were maybe the scenario was slightly easy on Latham - I didn't think the CPU Howard campaigned that hard [where as the CPU Nats did!]...also Latham seemed to outraise Howard 1.5/1 in funds in first week [after that Latham clearly had the momentum and the funding followed].

Nevertheless being able to play Aussie elections on the best election simulator [bar none] is one of my life's dreams achieved [no irony]...roll on the UK version.

Oh yes- first post - Hi --- and to Anthony many thanks for the best game ever invented [so good I was happy to buy Virtual PC so I could play it on my Mac at home].

Leopold

I had the same thought initially: Labor has the edge.

But I've played a fair few games as the minor parties, leaving control of Howard and Latham to the CPU, and that's actually not the case. If anything, the opposite is true. Labor starts with an relatively solid advantage in terms of seats and votes, but Howard claws back their lead more and more each week. He's usually ahead by the time we enter the last fortnight. This isn't something that's just happened once or twice; it happens consistently.

Turns out your 99 seats (!) reflects your own expert gaming, while my 73 seats on my first go with the Coalition simply meant I had to practice a bit more. :)

Biggest wins thus far:

As Labor:

Labor: 50% (93 seats)

Liberal: 38% (45 seats)

National: 5% (12 seats) = Coalition 43%, 57 seats

Green: 5%

As Liberal Party:

Liberal: 46% (76 seats)

National: 5% (12 seats) = Coalition 51%, 88 seats

Labor: 43% (62 seats)

Green: 5%

Pretty much mirror images in terms of primary votes, with Green preferences and the configuration of seats* allowing a bigger seat tally for Labor.

* In a close contest, the Coalition usually wins, because the configuration of seats works to their advantage. Labor has very big leads in its safest seats, while the Coalition have slight leads in a higher number of seats. Of course that also makes them more vulnerable to a wipeout, because a large swing can see Labor net a pretty big booty.

Next time I play as the Coalition, I think I'll set the Nats as human players, too; I work hard for a win, and I want to make sure my junior partners are pulling their weight too.

got the Aussie update today and only played one game so far.

won with the Liberals with 78 seats (and scored Phenom). Labor did make a late run and I lost several close races despite 2 scandals on Latham the last week.

looking forward to trying the other parties. :-)

I played my first real campaign last night (one where there is no experimenting). It went right down to the wire with the Coalition clinching Western Australian to secure the win- despite losing Eden Monaro (the litmus test).

Results were:

Liberals 43% 65 seats

Labor 44% 73 seats

Nationals 6% 12 seats

Greens 6% 0 seats

Two party preferred

Coalition 77

Labor 73

I mainly concentrated on Sth Australia, Queensland, Victoria and Sydney. Totally neglected Tasmania, ACT and Northern Territory.

Hmmm, interesting that the Nationals spun a scandal against the Liberals.

Played PM4E Australia for the first time last night with the role of John Howard. Here were the final results:

Liberal - 65 Seats

Labour - 72 Seats

National - 13 Seats

Green - 0 Seats

My campaign too came down to the wire in Western Australia. Despite the close showing, the game descrbied my effort as "Masterful". Is that maybe because Howard is not expected to win? :P

Howard must have a lot of stamina. I had his energy level down in the low 20s toward the end of the game, giving policy speechs and barnstorming nonetheless, and he never once committed a gaffe. He did lose the one debate with Latham, but then I had the momentum build up after that and kept it all the way to the end.

Before I play again, I'd like to get a feel for the political geography of Australia, where the parties and where are they the weakest, where the swing seats are, etc. Here's a link for those interested in doing the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Ho...toral_Divisions

Keith A. Layton

Played another game last night. This time I may an effort to win some seats in Northern Territory and Tasmania as the Liberals. Managed to split NT and win one seat in Tasmania. Also won a few seats of the Nats. The Libs won without the need to join a coalition. The clincher was 'big mo' 3 weeks from election day. The Howard campaign was flawless ie no scandals but run out of campaign funds with 9 days left.

Results were

Liberals 78 seats 46%

Labor 63 seats 43%

Nationals 9 seats 5%

Greens 0 seats 5%

I played my first real campaign last night (one where there is no experimenting). It went right down to the wire with the Coalition clinching Western Australian to secure the win- despite losing Eden Monaro (the litmus test).

Results were:

Liberals 43% 65 seats

Labor 44% 73 seats

Nationals 6% 12 seats

Greens 6% 0 seats

Two party preferred

Coalition 77

Labor 73

I mainly concentrated on Sth Australia, Queensland, Victoria and Sydney. Totally neglected Tasmania, ACT and Northern Territory.

Hmmm, interesting that the Nationals spun a scandal against the Liberals.

That would require some Greens to prefer Liberal to Labour, and that will never happen.

No one intelligent enough to support a party that is both Anti-American and Anti-Chinese would ever rank Liberal above the bottom.

That would require some Greens to prefer Liberal to Labour, and that will never happen.

No one intelligent enough to support a party that is both Anti-American and Anti-Chinese would ever rank Liberal above the bottom.

I voted Green and preferenced the Liberals in the lower house.

(and preferenced Labor in the Senate).

It looks like Howard is back with a slightly *increased* majority. Not what I was expecting at all.

Has anyone "helped" a single green candidate get elected? I tried twice but failed, all votes soaked up by the labour party. It's disappointing not to see the final result, but I still love these games :D

I managed to win all five seats in Tasmania as the Greens.

However, the way the issue centres are set up doesn't reflect reality. Labor lost Bass and Braddon over the forestry issue but the game shows Tas as being far-left on that issue (not in the timber towns it ain't!).

And it shows centre-right attitudes to same sex marriage in Western Sydney. Fine, but that region includes Sydney, Grayndler and Lowe which have the second-highest per-capita gay population in the world after San Francisco! Sydney and Grayndler are actually marginal for the Greens to win.

Archived