270soft Forum

HRC... FRUSTRATING scenario ;)

mclaughlin.gif

NDP sweeps BC, Sask, and wins Yukon. Also wins 5 seats in Manitoba, 1 in Alberta, and [!!!!!] Halifax. None in Ontario.

Damn, that 0 next to Ontario is frustrating as hell... I spent fully half the campaign there, pretty much, and was only polling at 23% at the end. Must be the McLaughlin curse. :lol:

Still, GREAT scenario :)

I played the 2000 scenario as Chretien and Day won :P I'd hate to see what I'd do as the NDP in 93.

I still think a PCless scenario for 93 would be cooler. Ontario might be difficult to balance, but the other provinces should work out fine.

I played the 2000 scenario as Chretien and Day won  :P  I'd hate to see what I'd do as the NDP in 93.

I still think a PCless scenario for 93 would be cooler. Ontario might be difficult to balance, but the other provinces should work out fine.

As the governing party with something like 180ish seats... it would be kind of silly to leave them out IMO

I hope Mantis you've tried my scenarios.

I played your Ontario 1999 scenario - looks good so far. One small problem is that you have given the impression that voters were angry about welfare cuts and tax cutes. Indeed, the exact opposite was true. Voters were very happy with tax cuts and most were very supportive of welfare reforms. I also thought that NDP strength was slightly overstated - remember that they were wiped out again and actually lost official party status (until Harris changed the rules and gave it to them.)

One other thing - the opening blurb mentions Ernie Eves rather than Mike Harris.

Other than those minor irritants, it looks like a good scenario.

NDP sweeps BC, Sask, and wins Yukon. Also wins 5 seats in Manitoba, 1 in Alberta, and [!!!!!] Halifax. None in Ontario.

Damn, that 0 next to Ontario is frustrating as hell... I spent fully half the campaign there, pretty much, and was only polling at 23% at the end. Must be the McLaughlin curse.  :lol:

Still, GREAT scenario :)

Thanks Myke. I appreciate it. :)

I played your Ontario 1999 scenario - looks good so far.  One small problem is that you have given the impression that voters were angry about welfare cuts and tax cutes.  Indeed, the exact opposite was true.  Voters were very happy with tax cuts and most were very supportive of welfare reforms.  I also thought that NDP strength was slightly overstated - remember that they were wiped out again and actually lost official party status (until Harris changed the rules and gave it to them.)

One other thing - the opening blurb mentions Ernie Eves rather than Mike Harris.

Other than those minor irritants, it looks like a good scenario.

I disagree entrely... A fair number of Ontarians were questioning of both the cuts and of welfare reform. It all depends on where you stand in the province, niether side of the coin can claim universal support.

mclaughlinmajority.gif

I only won this because the stars aligned beautifully:

- Chretien and Campbell (and Bouchard?) kept digging up nasty scandals on each other

- I campaigned in the West early on in the campaign, which seemed to draw the Campbell and Chretien AI into there for the tail end, when I started making massive strides in Ontario thanks to early momentum.

- All of the endorsement organizations were Left or Centre-Left.

- Ad trick. It's kinda cheating, but you know.

- Surprisingly high initial polling in Ontario and BC gave me an early boost (So I could start easily flipping seats, building momentum. At least, I think that's how it works.)

New Brunswick was such a heartbreaker, though :(