270soft Forum

Issues with money variables

I am working on a collegial P4E scenario where the total population is just over 48,000 and typical candidates will have between 20K and 30K to spend, maybe less.

Unfortunately, when I ran it through, I had a situation where barnstorming and ads costing at least $500 (and as much as 2,500 for the ads), while it only cost $17 to run a campus-wide ad once it was produced.

Is there an easy way to rejuggle things so the ads can cost less to produce but more to run? My idea is $1000 for top-produced ad and maybe $480 for campus-wide airing.

I am working on a collegial P4E scenario where the total population is just over 48,000 and typical candidates will have between 20K and 30K to spend, maybe less.

Unfortunately, when I ran it through, I had a situation where barnstorming and ads costing at least $500 (and as much as 2,500 for the ads), while it only cost $17 to run a campus-wide ad once it was produced.

Is there an easy way to rejuggle things so the ads can cost less to produce but more to run?  My idea is $1000 for top-produced ad and maybe $480 for campus-wide airing.

Same problem with my 2003 PC Leadership scenario! :angry:

It'll be based on the University of Florida. It's one of the few schools I know that has a long history of political parties (although the names change all the time).

It's also a scenario loosely based on "Reunion at University Avenue", a mystery novel I wrote.

It's really a vexing problem, this money thing, because as I understand it, if I increase the cost of running the ad, it'll increase the cost of producing it, which is the opposite of what I need to do to make this scenario work.

We are experiencing the same problem.  If you make the add more expensive the endorsements are also huge.  Is it the candidates money or the number of voters that is related to this?

I think it's the number of voters and the size of our candidate's warchest.

During my trial run, endorsements were $20,000 and the candidate started with $35,000! And running ads after producing them was dirt cheap.

If Anthony can let us know how to resolve this dilemma and still keep our scenario realistic, I'd be happy. So far, everything else about my scenario is as I want it (within reason), so this last bit would be enough for me to release it.

Hi guys,

If you can't remedy the problem by changing the two economic variables (the scenario money coefficient and the fundraising_coefficient, both in the scenario.p4e file) then there probably is no way to fix it currently. I believe this sort of problem occurs when dealing with very low levels of population.

A new ad system has been developed, and will be featured in future releases, which will allow you to fix this problem. However, this won't be released for a while.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Hi guys,

If you can't remedy the problem by changing the two economic variables (the scenario money coefficient and the fundraising_coefficient, both in the scenario.p4e file) then there probably is no way to fix it currently. I believe this sort of problem occurs when dealing with very low levels of population.

A new ad system has been developed, and will be featured in future releases, which will allow you to fix this problem. However, this won't be released for a while.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Thanks Anthony. I appreciate it. I will try to fix the problem by adding more of the population to my PC 2003 scenario. It won't reflect the 48,000 members but at least it will be playable, hopefully! :)