270soft Forum

Nothing to do with the scenario itself, but was anyone else surprised by the complete lack of coverage on Walken's candidacy during the show? I thought he'd be a serious contender.

Yeah I was disapointed they didn't do more with the GOP primary. I know the characters we knew were all with the Dems, but it woulda been interesting if they'd covered it more.

also, send the senario to me also.

jospiv@yahoo.com

Id like a copy too please

MichaelRawson@hotmail.com

As for the GOP Primary - they couldnt give Walkin much coverage without bring back John Goodman, and with the show dishing out huge pay increases for most of the cast (the show was supposed to scraped after season 6, so to get most of the actors to comit themselves to another season of a dying show was costly - plus with big name actors like Alan Alda I dont think they could have afforded Goodman - but I did read way back during the 6th season that they approached Goodman... it all comes down to money.

I wrote the original Santos vs Vinick (2006) scenario. I am mostly finished with the Primaries version of the scenario. For the Democrats, I have Santos, Russell, Hoynes and Rafferty (with option for Baker in the general election). For the Republicans, I have Vinick, Rev Butler, and Walken. The scenario may need some adjustment, but it is mostly done.

Can you send it to me? Thanks.

lewers@erols.com

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance of adding the Speaker Jeff Haffley to the Republican primary? Obviously he didn't run (and later lost his job when the Democrats took back the House in '06) but he was probably the one character post-Sorkin that I really liked and wished had been around since the beginning.

He was basically Newt Gingrich but his handful of episodes I consider among the best non-election/post-Sorkin episodes (plus the fun Supremes) and I always thought he would have won the primary if he ran in it.

Course I don't even have the game :) but hey, I love the West Wing (well… the first 4 seasons, and only the primary/elections and a couple episodes after that) and when I do get the game I'd love to play this scenario.

Executive Order 11905 is also mentioned; it was signed by President Ford in 1976.

The show has stated that there were four Republican presidents in the last thirty years. Nixon and Lassiter are two of these.

My stab at the timeline. POD (point of divergence in alternate history speak) is that Congress—Speaker Carl Albert—decides that a President stepping down is different from being killed and so sets a special election.

My guess is that 2 years earlier, no pardon for Nixon, and probably no Carter means Ford wins against… Not really sure. I doubt he runs again so we get Reagen (I sincerely doubt anyone else at this point in time in the Republican party) and being a couple years younger just means he does better against…? Mondale? Doubt it.

Speaker Tip O'Neill is a possibility, and he's liberal enough to win the nomination and lose the general in 1978 (1982 may be better). Or maybe the outgoing Speaker, Carl Albert, as he called the special election and maybe regrets Ford winning. Regardless Reagan gets 2 terms.

Newman is likely a Carter-analogue and is the Democrats winning against the Republicans simply because they've been there forever as he's pretty liberal (I think).

I don't know why he loses the next go around. Perhaps the economy goes south or he doesn't (or does) get involved in the Gulf War and it goes differently then in OTL.

Maybe he's just too liberal or gets in a messy nomination fight (a la Ford/Reagen in '76) and Lassiter's a moderate (Leo as Labor). Bartlet wins the general fairly easy for whatever reasons—sick of Republicans I imagine. Maybe he's basically a Lassiter type and the Republicans run Reagan conservative. Since the public liked Lassiter they go with Bartlet especially with Hoynes on the ticket as that keeps him strong in the South.

1972-1974 Nixon (Rep 1)

1974-1978 Ford (Rep 2)

1978-1986 Reagan (Rep 3)

1986 Newman (Dem)

1990-1998 Lassiter (Rep 4)

1998-2006 Bartlet (Dem)

2006 Santos (Dem)

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote the original Santos vs Vinick (2006) scenario. I am mostly finished with the Primaries version of the scenario. For the Democrats, I have Santos, Russell, Hoynes and Rafferty (with option for Baker in the general election). For the Republicans, I have Vinick, Rev Butler, and Walken. The scenario may need some adjustment, but it is mostly done.

Whoops. Forget to say that I too would like a copy. electric.monk.ts@gmail.com

A couple suggestions: Baker may have ran in the primary, his withdrawal was unexpected so I imagine he should be included in the primary but turned off by default. He would be leading in Iowa and New Hampshire.

The other one would be to include Speaker Jeff Haffley for the Republicans as a Newt '96 analogue.

I assume you're using the wiki for the West Wing 2006 election so I won't bother bringing anything else up. Well, maybe just a couple things:

Governor Tillman should be a very powerful endorser as he swung the state of California to Santos.

Seven (other) Republicans contested the nomination (as Vinick says after the election that he beat the "seven dwarfs") meaning three candidates were never named on the show, although one of these may have been Ohio Governor Mike Reed.

Vinick's results improved as Walken, Allard and Bennett eventually withdrew from the race.

Mike Reed could probably be simulated as some recent Ohio governor. Allard and Bennett (assuming wikipedia got that right) are mysteries but looking at the line-up one of them is probably a fiscal conservative

0 Vinick: California Republican

1 Walken: Moderate I imagine as conservative replacement Speaker Haffley was viewed as fascist by the Democrats.

2 Mike Reed: In Ohio? Moderate. Probably against free trade though.

Mike Reed (R-Ohio): May have been a contender for the 2006 nomination. Gave keynote speech at the Republican National Convention, known as the "eight is enough" speech attacking the Bartlet administration (which was in its eighth year in office). Did not stand for election in 2006.

3 Don Butler: Religious conservative of course.

4 and 5 Allard and Bennett: I don't know. Maybe just pick likely politicians out of the list rather then making them up on whole cloth based on just their names…

These guys seem possible:

Edward Pratt (R-Tennessee): Meets with the President to discuss increasing instances of arson against the black churches in his state around Christmas 2001. Still Governor in 2005 when he found out about a top-secret deal where the country of Georgia offered the US uranium and threatened to leak it publicly since he was opposed to it.

-Conservative I imagine.

Senator Dan Kalmbach (R-Maryland) (Season 2): A prominent member of the tobacco lobby in Washington. During the 2002 elections, he is considered to be a major candidate, but ultimately loses in the primaries to Ritchie.

-Moderate I imagine.

6 No Idea. Call it a write-in for Speaker Haffley.

7 Robert Ritchie. I imagine having once won the nomination he may give it another try.

Robert Ritchie (R-Florida): Served two terms as Governor. Republican nominee for President in 2002, defeated by the incumbent, President Bartlet. Almost certainly elected in 1996 and defeated Carol Gresley (who we know stood for Florida Governor in 1996) and served from 1997 to 2005.Succeeded by Swenson ®. Swenson is Governor by the 2006 election.

• 1 month later...

Bump. If you don't mind me asking how's it going?