270soft Forum

Who is the best Democratic candidate to run and win in 2024?

Who is the best Democratic candidate to run and win in 2024?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Democratic candidate to run and win in 2024?

• Joe Biden
    • Kamala Harris
    • Pete Buttigieg
    • Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    • Other

12 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Believe it or not, the GOP has way better African American future leaders and politicians right now than the Democrats do. Tim Scott, Vernon Jones, Daniel Cameron, Jerome Adams... No wonder the Democrats are terrified. 

I disagree. Lots of great Democratic African American leaders for the future. Tons of young US Reps and Lt Govs and such. I didn't list them because Buttigieg is young, so he needs someone older and more experienced. 

I will say, putting ideology aside, Tim Scott is an A+ sort of candidate. I disagree with much of where he stands but I think he's a strong politician with few flaws. If I didn't find 80% of GOP views barbaric, and voted GOP, I think Tim Scott might get my GOP primary vote among those often mention as running in 2024. 

I know a little of Vernon Jones. Saw him speak. I know nothing of Daniel Cameron or Jerome Adams, so I can't make any judgment. I thought John James was a great candidate (objectively because won't vote for a Trump-era GOPer), but MI was just too Blue and facing politicians with a stronger political fortification. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Tim Scott is an A+ sort of candidate. I disagree with much of where he stands but I think he's a strong politician with few flaws.

One question mark with Scott is he isn't married. That shouldn't disbar someone from being POTUS, but a wife often can complement a candidate and help humanize the campaign.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I disagree. Lots of great Democratic African American leaders for the future. Tons of young US Reps and Lt Govs and such. I didn't list them because Buttigieg is young, so he needs someone older and more experienced. 

I will say, putting ideology aside, Tim Scott is an A+ sort of candidate. I disagree with much of where he stands but I think he's a strong politician with few flaws. If I didn't find 80% of GOP views barbaric, and voted GOP, I think Tim Scott might get my GOP primary vote among those often mention as running in 2024. 

I know a little of Vernon Jones. Saw him speak. I know nothing of Daniel Cameron or Jerome Adams, so I can't make any judgment. I thought John James was a great candidate (objectively because won't vote for a Trump-era GOPer), but MI was just too Blue and facing politicians with a stronger political fortification. 

Daniel Cameron is a star: 

Agreed on Tim Scott. Point being that GOP is doing a much better job attracting African American voters to the party and Democrats imo have taken them way far too granted. 

8 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

One question mark with Scott is he isn't married. That shouldn't disbar someone from being POTUS, but a wife often can complement a candidate and help humanize the campaign.

That's an issue with Cory Booker too. Also, Lindsay Graham. Weird that both SC Sens have never married. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Daniel Cameron is a star: 

Oh yeah, I remember him. He does have some promise, ideology aside. 

6 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Point being that GOP is doing a much better job attracting African American voters to the party and Democrats imo have taken them way far too granted. 

Totally incorrect. Democrats are much more attractive to Blacks (see the fact below). As long as they're getting 9/10 of them to vote Democrats, you can't say that "GOP is doing a much better job attracting African American voters to the party." That's so far from the truth that I have to question much of your gut instinct. It actually went up by 1%. I could see a non-Trump get this down to 87% or 85% but 85% to 15% is not doing "a much better job." Democrats appoint more black politicians to Federal appointed offices and pass legislation more frequently that is supported by black voters. The whole BLM and gun control initiatives, and etc.--STRONGLY favored by Black voters--are supported by Democrats with only a few GOP exceptions. 

Contrary to the fears of some Democrats, Biden maintained solid support among African Americans. Biden received 92% of the Black vote, statistically indistinguishable from Hillary Clinton’s 91% in 2016.

Source: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2021/07/06/new-2020-voter-data-how-biden-won-how-trump-kept-the-race-close-and-what-it-tells-us-about-the-future/

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Oh yeah, I remember him. He does have some promise, ideology aside. 

Totally incorrect. Democrats are much more attractive to Blacks (see the fact below). As long as they're getting 9/10 of them to vote Democrats, you can't say that "GOP is doing a much better job attracting African American voters to the party." That's so far from the truth that I have to question much of your gut instinct. It actually went up by 1%. I could see a non-Trump get this down to 87% or 85% but 85% to 15% is not doing "a much better job." Democrats appoint more black politicians to Federal appointed offices and pass legislation more frequently that is supported by black voters. The whole BLM and gun control initiatives, and etc.--STRONGLY favored by Black voters--are supported by Democrats with only a few GOP exceptions. 

Contrary to the fears of some Democrats, Biden maintained solid support among African Americans. Biden received 92% of the Black vote, statistically indistinguishable from Hillary Clinton’s 91% in 2016.

Source: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2021/07/06/new-2020-voter-data-how-biden-won-how-trump-kept-the-race-close-and-what-it-tells-us-about-the-future/

Of course Democrats are more attractive to Africans Americans right now, but the GROWTH in support is clearly on the Republicans side. If they can get even 5-7% more of the black vote in 2024 the election is over no matter who runs. 

Since 2008: 95% black men 96% black woman

2012: 87% black men (HUGE drop) 96% black woman

2016: 82% black men (another big drop) 94% black woman

2020: 80% black men 91% black woman

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/black-men-drifted-democrats-toward-trump-record-numbers-polls-show-n1246447

There were a few groups that appear to have driven this shift toward President Donald Trump among Black men. Over half of Black men (52 percent) who identified as ideologically conservative cast their vote for the president, and 1 in 3 Black men living in the Midwest also voted for him.

About 26 percent of Black men who had a high school diploma or less supported Trump. But 22 percent of Black men with bachelor’s degrees and 20 percent of Black men with advanced degrees also supported him. 

The poll states that 67 percent of Black people in the U.S. said they somewhat or strongly approve of the way Biden is handling his job as president, down from 85 percent just two months previously—a fall of 18 percentage points.

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-approval-rating-fallen-most-black-adults-pew-1638502

---

This is also taking into account Biden had Kamala Harris as his VP and yet still his numbers were this poor. And along with her disastrous approval rating, not letting her be the nominee would be a disaster for the African American base. 

All I'm saying is that you're going to be stunned at the numbers if Buttigeg or even Biden runs again. Biden has done absolutely nothing for voting rights, police laws and frankly I question your judgement if you don't see the patterns and writing on the wall.

The GOP is making MASSIVE inroads with the African American community (and Hispanics and Asian Americans) and you'll see it at the polls in 2022. 

Of course Democrats are more attractive to Africans Americans right now, but the GROWTH in support is clearly on the Republicans side. If they can get even 5-7% more of the black vote in 2024 the election is over no matter who runs. 

That's pretty much going to be the case with any demographic that is going 9/10 to the other party. One can't do worse with the demographic so the room for growth potential is clearly there. All it takes is making some concessions towards black voters. For instance, a GOP nominee that suddenly promises to take on police brutality and endorses BLM would probably instantly take like 15% from this group. The issue is that most GOPers don't want to risk embracing black-specific policies and upset their white, non-college educated voter base. 

Democrats could also make inroads in strong GOP demographics. Although, I can think of a single demographic that votes GOP 9/10. Evangelicals don't even vote 9/10 GOP, I don't think. 

He's with Rosario Dawson so even if he never gets married, that helps enough. 

I'm not sure how authentic that is. Part of me think it was done just for the campaign. Maybe they're still together.

34 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That's pretty much going to be the case with any demographic that is going 9/10 to the other party. One can't do worse with the demographic so the room for growth potential is clearly there. All it takes is making some concessions towards black voters. For instance, a GOP nominee that suddenly promises to take on police brutality and endorses BLM would probably instantly take like 15% from this group. The issue is that most GOPers don't want to risk embracing black-specific policies and upset their white, non-college educated voter base. 

Democrats could also make inroads in strong GOP demographics. Although, I can think of a single demographic that votes GOP 9/10. Evangelicals don't even vote 9/10 GOP, I don't think. 

I think the black vote will trend toward 80/20 naturally eventually, once the memory of Nixon/Reagan and their southern strategy has faded some. Supporting BLM is probably not wise given how much it could hurt the WWC vote.

(I say this as someone who supports BLM in a vacuum, because it, like 1/6, makes the upper middle class, college educated NIMBY white suburbanites uncomfortable. Also both 1/6 and BLM recognize the threat of unelected institutions.)