270soft Forum

Hypothetical Biden vs. DeSantis 2024

PoliticalPundit

11 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

The biggest and probably main debate will be Ron's handling of COVID in Florida. So with facts like these, how will he lose?

He needs to provide a source for this information. It's just on his Twitter with no reference. He has to link the study because a study could also explain the reasons for a low case rate. The # of case rate can change dependent on how the go about counting cases. One state might be more diligent than another. Another states might be a little flippant in recording their data for political reasons for example. I'm not discounting this might be true, but I don't think anyone should take it as face value until there is credible evidence for the claim. DeSantis should provide it if it exists (which I assume it probably does).

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

He needs to provide a source for this information. It's just on his Twitter with no reference. He has to link the study because a study could also explain the reasons for a low case rate. The # of case rate can change dependent on how the go about counting cases. One state might be more diligent than another. Another states might be a little flippant in recording their data for political reasons for example. I'm not discounting this might be true, but I don't think anyone should take it as face value until there is credible evidence for the claim. DeSantis should provide it if it exists (which I assume it probably does).

Does he need to provide a link? We live in the era of fake news, he just needs to convince and persuade more people it's the case. 

If he does run (even as VP), it's obviously going to be the most controversial issue but complaining about COVID in 2024 is just playing into the GOP's hands imo.

19 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Not a Perry, no way - smarter. Not a bully like Christie. I would say Walker is most similar of those 3.

Any specific reasons you think he isn't a strong candidate?

Doesn't have enough charisma imo. Then again given the current resident, maybe that's not a prerequisite.

That said, 2024 is likely a foregone conclusion. Trump will run, will be the nominee, and will win the Electoral College.

28 minutes ago, populist86 said:

Doesn't have enough charisma imo. Then again given the current resident, maybe that's not a prerequisite.

That said, 2024 is likely a foregone conclusion. Trump will run, will be the nominee, and will win the Electoral College.

I agree with almost everything you say. I just don't really care about charisma, except in that it might make him winning the nomination more difficult.

I think DeSantis has become the de facto GOP leader for now, and good governance of the 3rd largest state in the union is an extremely important job.

So part of me thinks he should just stay and run FL, assuming he wins re-election. The other part of me thinks he could make for a much more effective POTUS than Trump.

9 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

I agree with almost everything you say. I just don't really care about charisma, except in that it might make him winning the nomination more difficult.

I think DeSantis has become the de facto GOP leader for now, and good governance of the 3rd largest state in the union is an extremely important job.

So part of me thinks he should just stay and run FL, assuming he wins re-election. The other part of me thinks he could make for a much more effective POTUS than Trump.

10 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

Not a Perry, no way - smarter. Not a bully like Christie. I would say Walker is most similar of those 3.

Any specific reasons you think he isn't a strong candidate?

I don't think DeSantis is like any of those three. Yes, smarter than Perry. I can see some similarities to Christie's personality--aside from the bully part--, but I think Christie is probably a better debater (have to see DeSantis debate as I'm basing this off of just hearing DeSantis respond to things). I think DeSantis has waaaay more personality than Walker. 

I think DeSantis might better resemble a less likable George W Bush but one that speaks better. Possibly a far less charismatic Ronald Reagan. A less flamboyant/toned-down Huey P. Long, except conservative. Really it's hard to find an analogy for DeSantis. If forced to pick a current or recent governor analogy, I'd say a Gov Abbott who isn't in a wheel chair--both are quite stubborn, which is great or awful depending on whether or not you're on board with them. Overall, I think DeSantis is something knew. However, there was a video in which he was mimicking 100% the hand gestures of Trump during a speech. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

Even if I don’t care for him I 100% agree he’d be more effective if he won.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

I think DeSantis has become the de facto GOP leader for now,

I wouldn't crown him yet. I'd say he's the leading candidate to replace Trump. For one, other GOP people are still looking to Trump and not to DeSantis. Secondly, DeSantis's margin in polls vs Trump has actually gotten worse. I think it's because he's getting less media attention than he had been, mainly because the focus is on VA rather than FL. 

I think DeSantis has to, in some way, combat against Trump to replace Trump. He can do this in respectful ways, such as, "DT has shown us the direction that this country needs to go, domestically and abroad. It is now time for another generation to continue his task and to make it more viable for the 21st century." Something like that. I think once he gives a speech like that, he'll surge in the polls, and supplant Trump. However, considering he uses the same hand gestures as Trump, he seems more like a potential lackey than leader at the moment. But we will see. He has a lot of opportunity, he just has to break free of Trump's gravity and forge his own path--something that looks forward for America, or at least as much forward as his ideology allows. I obviously don't like DeSantis one bit, but I do see the potential in him as politician when I considered him in a detached manner. 

42 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I wouldn't crown him yet

I'm not saying he is the front-runner for the nomination. Not at all! I'm saying in terms of national influence right now, he's the de facto leader.

Trump is the leader for the nomination, but he has limited national exposure for comms and no base of power (state, House, Senate, or Whitehouse) from which to take action.

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

I'm saying in terms of national influence right now, he's the de facto leader.

I'm not sure that's the case though. What's his influence outside of FL? Trump might not have a power base, but he's certainly more national. He still gets more news coverage than DeSantis, who seems to come up most often in polls in which he's losing handedly to Trump. DeSantis gets some press on COVID handling, but even that isn't reported much on centrist sources like TheHill, AP, Reuters, etc. I'd go so far as to say, DeSantis's name recognition probably isn't even 25% of the electorate. I guess you'd have to define "defacto leader" for me because my own definition of that term doesn't fit with what DeSantis is at the moment. I think if anything Trump is partially defacto because the GOP still isn't set on who to move to next. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm not sure that's the case though. What's his influence outside of FL?

You might be right, but what I am thinking of is that DeSantis' actions are setting an example and pathbreaking certain policies.

DeSantis is higher profile within the right, and there is fairly constant news breaking about what he's doing as Gov.

Trump is limited to posting statements on his web-site, doing interviews, and occasionally doing a rally.

9 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

DeSantis' actions are setting an example and pathbreaking certain policies.

I agree with this completely 

10 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

there is fairly constant news breaking about what he's doing as Gov.

This might be more because you're seeking information on COVID and mandates on a regular basis. I tend to read front-page news headlines on the centrist sources, but also CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. Occasionally, I can go a week without hearing about DeSantis. I also use Twitter, following most of the major pundits, but they're focused on Virginia and the legislative deadlock. COVID discussion has decreased since this Summer. 

13 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Trump is limited to posting statements on his web-site, doing interviews, and occasionally doing a rally.

The Media still focuses on him. That's a lot of free attention that DeSantis isn't getting. It might not be the best measure, but Trump is killing DeSantis in google searches, according to google trends. However, since March, Trump searches have decreased massively. August seemed to have been DeSantis's best period in regards to searches, but he was way below Trump then as well. 

Overall, I think DeSantis can become that leader and seems like he will be if Trump doesn't run, but I'm having a hard to applying defacto leader to him personally at the moment.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Biden finally got some good news with a positive jobs report for the economy. Let’s see if this improves his approval by at least a point. Might be cancelled out by him dosing off at a climate conference. They need to get him one of those 9-hour energy things. It’s like he’s not taking any initiative to get his approval up. Frustrating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

IMHO Biden's docs are using all sorts of drugs to keep him 'sharp' and 'awake'. It's just not enough - there's only so much one can do.

I’d be okay with the doctors letting him sleep. Coolidge slept 14 hours a day. Maybe it would maximize whatever efficiency he has left to let him work less.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, IndependentPerson said:

Honestly, racism does exist, but I don't think Youngkin's victory can be attributed to racism.  If this was Corey Stewart, I would agree, but Youngkin is of another mold.

Of course it has nothing to do with racism. They focused on local issues while democrats were obsessed with trump and culture issues. This is a fantastic article that says exactly how they won

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/11/05/glenn-youngkin-republican-strategists-519609

• Thanks 1