270soft Forum

Truth Social - Trump's next attempt at social media

The stock price of SPAC company Digital World Acquisition Corp. skyrocketed on extremely heavy trading volume Thursday after news of a merger that would launch former President Donald Trump’s planned social media platform.

DWAC’s stock surged 356.8% to close at $35.54 per share. Trading in the SPAC was halted multiple times due to volatility. At one point, the stock was up more than 400% to hit a high of $52.

Wow! The new AMC Gamestop meme is coming. 

This will probably fail like almost all of his ventures. This is his 2nd attempt at this. The first one failed in like a month. I expect this one to probably last a year or two as it seems better planned out. I don’t see much sustainability in it. 

11 hours ago, vcczar said:

This will probably fail like almost all of his ventures.

You're talking about a Forbes 1000 billionaire and former POTUS. Whatever businesses of his didn't take off, the successes have heavily outweighed the failures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

Are you referring to the blog?

Yeah, which he framed as something more than a blog. 

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

You're talking about a Forbes 1000 billionaire and former POTUS. Whatever businesses of his didn't take off, the successes have heavily outweighed the failures.

I’m talking about this social media venture, specifically. I don’t think it’s going to succeed. He’s certainly had successes in life.  

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I’m talking about this social media venture, specifically. I don’t think it’s going to succeed. He’s certainly had successes in life.  

I'm very skeptical as well. If it does start to take-off, my guess is it will be very difficult to scale.

What Twitter does isn't very difficult from a programming perspective. But doing it at the scale Twitter does is very difficult.

44 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

I'm very skeptical as well. If it does start to take-off, my guess is it will be very difficult to scale.

What Twitter does isn't very difficult from a programming perspective. But doing it at the scale Twitter does is very difficult.

Yeah. I don’t think they’ll get enough users to keep it viable. Almost no left-leaning people will join. I doubt many centrist will. I think it’s possible even most right-wingers already on Twitter and Facebook will make the jump. Ultimately, it will be the clearest example of a social media echo chamber as it’s filled with Trump supporters. Not sure how sustainable or interesting it will be to be in a social media with everyone agreeing with everyone. Sounds boring. I’ll be surprised if people remember that it exists (or existed) in a year. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:32 PM, vcczar said:

a social media echo chamber

For certain purposes, a social media site being an echo chamber is fine. But for something like Twitter, you need a level of debate or it becomes boring.

But, if Trump is there, I think it will attract lots of detractors.

21 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

But, if Trump is there, I think it will attract lots of detractors.

Maybe initially. I think they'd just get bored. You'll get the trollish detractors. I don't expect any real number of detractors to join that really want to discuss things. 

What's funny is that the social media claims to be about free speech & similar etc., but they also have a rule that they can ban people for whatever reason, which is kind of funny. I think ultimately, if Trump has his way, he'll be arguably more liberal in banning people than Twitter is. I could be wrong though. 

Also apparently Anonymous has already hacked into the website. Not off to a great start. 

• Thanks 1