270soft Forum

Infrastructure Bill to nowhere

1 hour ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Wasn't the initial deadline for this like EARLY AUGUST? 

That celebratory news conference with Biden and the Republicans from like 2 months ago is just another example of the incompetent Biden administration with no awareness or sense of what's really going on. 

Sometimes a bill just takes longer. Nothing unusual. Happens with every president and every congress. 

• Upvote 1

"It doesn’t matter when. It doesn’t matter whether it’s in six minutes, six days or six weeks. We’re going to get it done.” - Joe Biden

Congratulations Joe! Now you will get absolutely nothing because of your failures to bring the party together. You had potentially the easiest bipartisan infrastructure bill imaginable, but allowed the progressive wing of your party to bully you into any chances of success in 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

Budget bill to nowhere!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/climate/clean-energy-program-manchin.html#commentsContainer

The most powerful part of President Biden’s climate agenda — a program to rapidly replace the nation’s coal- and gas-fired power plants with wind, solar and nuclear energy — will likely be dropped from the massive budget bill pending in Congress, according to Congressional staffers and lobbyists familiar with the matter.

---

I'd be stunned if progressives don't just torpedo and sink all of Washington down with it now. No infrastructure, no budget bill is happening. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

from "the last 2 weeks of October are critical to pass this before the election"

to

"We are absolutely getting both bills to a vote this week"

to

"We are absolutely getting the infrastructure bill to a vote this week"

to 

not having the votes to get the infrastructure bill passed. Absolutely comical. Even Democrats aren't going to vote for this clown show. This is a disaster. 

Well it passed. Under the condition that they basically get a promise that the moderates will agree to probably accept the spending bill. Which they won't. 

So a bill they had waiting for months on end that could have been passed in the summer.. finally got passed. The competence is unmatched from the Biden administration. 

13 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Well it passed. Under the condition that they basically get a promise that the moderates will agree to probably accept the spending bill. Which they won't. 

So a bill they had waiting for months on end that could have been passed in the summer.. finally got passed. The competence is unmatched from the Biden administration. 

Regardless of what one thinks of the bill, it will probably help Biden in the polls with Democrats and Independents. It's technically a "policy success," which generally improves polling. 

I was considering "competency" in regards to getting this bill passed, but many historic bills took months to get passed. Basically, you have to have a compromise between the factions in a party, and you have to win over some moderates on the other side. The president facilitates these things. What I want to know is how much of this success was Biden or wasn't Biden. That's the thing we will find out eventually. Biden was a Senator for 30+ years. Theoretically, his experience should have made him a crucial part of this. 

Let's see how this compares with other bills since Teddy Roosevelt, which I'll look up on wikipedia and present below:

• Bush's Patriot Act - Oct 23 2001 to Oct 26 2001 = 3 days
  • Clinton-Gingrich Welfare Reform - June 27 1996 to Aug 22 1996 = less than 2 months
  • FDR's Social Security Act - April 19 1935 to June 19 1935 = 2 months
  • Eisenhower's Federal Highway Act - April 19 1956 to June 29 1956 = Just over 2 months
  • Wilson's Federal Reserve Act - Aug 29 1913 to Dec 23 1913 = almost 4 months
  • LBJ's Voting Rights Act of 1965 - March 17 1965 to Aug 6 1965 = Over 4 months 
  • Biden infrastructure bill - June 4 to Nov 5 = 5 months. 
  • Obamacare - Sept 17 2009 to March 23 2010 = 6 months. 
  • Teddy Roosevelt's Pure Food and Drug Act - Dec 14 1905 to June 30 1906 = 7 months
  • Reagan's Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Dec 3 1985 to Oct 22 1986 = almost 11 months.
  • LBJ's Civil Rights Act of 1964 - June 20 1963 to July 2 1964 = Just over 1 year.
  • Hoover's Smoot-Hawley Tariff - April 1929 to June 17 1930 = 1 year and 2 months
  • Trump's Criminal Justice Reform Act ("First Step") - March 29 2017 to Dec 21 2018 = 1 year and almost 9 months

As compared with other historic bills, it was passed in a reasonable time frame. Ideally, it would have been passed before the VA election, but in historic terms, Biden and those wishing to get this passed were successful in getting it through in a timely manner. Those that were passed quicker were done so because they were extremely bipartisan/non-partisan from the start or one party dominated Congress. Of these historic bills that were only somewhat bipartisan and with Congresses/Senate that were about even, Biden's does the best -- better than Obamacare, and Smoot Hawley -- the only other ones that are probably in the same category. The rest of the historic bills were supported by both parties rather strongly or one party dominated both houses of Congress. Wilson's legislation was actually advocated by Taft during his presidency. LBJ and Clinton scored successes on legislation that was supported even more strongly by the opposition but still by a majority of their own. Reagan's success is very odd because it was a GOP idea but the bill was proposed by a Democrat! This was probably because Democrats so controlled the House that he had to have one do that to have any success. Trump's likely lasting legislative success was a great bill but you see clearly his lack of political finesse probably played a roll in his bill taking forever to pass, especially when he had control of both Houses of Congress at this time. That's Carter-level political incompetence, especially considering there was bipartisan support for this kind of reform. 

In short, Biden got his policy success through congress in a timely manner and was able to get all but 6 Democrats on board (the squad), as well as like 12 or more Republicans in the US House and 19 GOP Senators. 

Politically this is likely too little, too late. It is a good bill when coupled with BBB so I credit Biden for his agenda. I’m always in favor of more spending.

This is part of the danger of a slim majority. Democrats will lose in 2022 and likely in 2024, but it’s not Biden’s fault.

• Like 1

@vcczar It will take at least a year if not longer before people start seeing results from this infrastructure bill. In the meantime, inflation is still running hot, COVID is still an issue and people are finally getting forced back to work. Particularly with inflation staring at us right in the face, it's a minor win for the Democrats but the bigger story is how badly they bungled this and how dysfunctional the party is.

And I highly doubt Manchin is going to let this spending bill pass this year if ever tbh. Progressives will spend the rest of 2021 kicking and screaming about him breaking his word which will clog up the news feeds as more Democratic dysfunction.

Again.. they had this bill in AUGUST. They could have passed it then. This is just more Biden incompetence. 

3 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

It will take at least a year if not longer before people start seeing results from this infrastructure bill.

That's obvious. No one expects immediate results. It's a big thing.

In the meantime, inflation is still running hot, COVID is still an issue

True. But both will improve. 

And I highly doubt Manchin is going to let this spending bill pass this year if ever tbh.

I think part of last night's deal was that all Democrats are expected to eventually agree on the spending bill. Manchin will probably pretend to be opposed to it just for state support, but will ultimately go along with it. They'll probably pay a game where progressives add something and then Manchin gets a win by repealing it and then supporting it. It might not happen this year, but it will happen before midterms. In fact, they might wait until right before midterms to give Democrats a boost. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's purposely prolonged for about 10 or 11 months. 

4 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Again.. they had this bill in AUGUST. They could have passed it then. This is just more Biden incompetence. 

Well they didn't. Wasn't incompetence; it was compromise. Overall, it was successfully passed and in a timely manner as I showed above by comparing it with other historic major legislation. 

I have decided to vote for Joe Biden in 2024 if the R nominee is not Trump or a Trumpist (i.e. Hawley, Tucker, etc.) in agenda, rhetoric, and support for the former president. I will not vote for DeSantis or Youngkin.

19 hours ago, vcczar said:

So, I wouldn't be surprised if it's purposely prolonged for about 10 or 11 months. 

Well they didn't. Wasn't incompetence; it was compromise. Overall, it was successfully passed and in a timely manner as I showed above by comparing it with other historic major legislation. 

This idea is an absolute disaster. Biden's approval rating will only fall more in that time period, the progressives want this done before Thanksgiving! You really see them waiting that long?

And the bolded is absolute spin and falsehoods. The Democrats in Virginai have already bitterly complained about the bill not passing soon enough being the reason for the loss (it wasn't that, but that's their opinion). And practically every article has irritated Democrats complaining about how long it took to get it passed. Enough spin, stick to truth. 

5 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

This idea is an absolute disaster. Biden's approval rating will only fall more in that time period, the progressives want this done before Thanksgiving! You really see them waiting that long?

And the bolded is absolute spin and falsehoods. The Democrats in Virginai have already bitterly complained about the bill not passing soon enough being the reason for the loss (it wasn't that, but that's their opinion). And practically every article has irritated Democrats complaining about how long it took to get it passed. Enough spin, stick to truth. 

That’s kind of funny because I was going to charge you with spinning this, but I opted to be civil and deleted it. So I’ll just say what I was going to say: You can spin this all you want. The fact remains he fulfilled a campaign promise, which equates with a policy success. It has bipartisan support among governors, US Senators and some US Reps. You can’t take that away. It’s a popular proposal.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

That’s kind of funny because I was going to charge you with spinning this, but I opted to be civil and deleted it. So I’ll just say what I was going to say: You can spin this all you want. The fact remains he fulfilled a campaign promise, which equates with a policy success. It has bipartisan support among governors, US Senators and some US Reps. You can’t take that away. It’s a popular proposal.

Saying I'm spinning something is not uncivil if you find it to be accurate. 

I'm not spinning anything. This bill was a failure POLITICALLY unless the spending bill passes by the end of this year. 

The spending bill will not pass unless midterms go great for the Democrats and Manchin has to cave. 

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

What don't you like about DeSantis compared to Trump?

He isn’t great on foreign policy or trade based on his tenure in the House.

Honestly though I probably would vote for him. This article just bothered me:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-regain-campaign-mojo-and-it-s-bush-not-trump/ar-AAQpYqy?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

As someone who joined the GOP because of Trump, any suggestion that the GOP is moving away from populism and toward Romney-esque fusionism scares me a bit.

If I am convinced that DeSantis or Youngkin is a populist I would vote for them. I just resent Romney-Clinton types.

11 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

I'm with you on that. But I don't think DeSantis is really in that camp ... I could be wrong, though.

He’s definitely more similar than Trump. He’s basically a Trump that’s got it more together and knows when to keep his mouth shut. He isn’t making GOP enemies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1