270soft Forum

What's in the Next Update?

Show us your enthusiasm. Make us feel a part of the development somehow. I know other developers have developer diaries for example. It leads to a more direct and personal developer-customer relationship. Tell us your coding qualms. Your hopes and dreams. There would be enlightenment on both sides. I just want to know you, Anthony. Hopefully that does not come off as creepy. :D

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions - I'll look into what we can do on this to give you guys some insights into what's going on with product development.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Thanks. And I do mean this. That's what I was asking for when I started this thread...I didn't ask what was in the next update because I wanted to know when it would come out. But...thanks again. It's just the total information blackout that's been riding me, and a drip of information every few months, even, would make me quite happy. Thanks again.

As a general point, my guess is that negative comments about when a product is going to be released don't help make them come quicker, it just makes whoever is reading them who is involved in development have a worse day. Having said that, it is important to 80soft (and I presume to other companies) to gauge interest in a product. So, my guess is positive comments not only allow a company to know there is interest, but also make whoever is reading them more enthusiastic about developing that product.

As for the President Forever update/sequel: yes, 80soft still intends to release a version with primaries; no, we won't give a target release date, for the reasons given several times before on this board.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com

Anthony, nobody needs an exact release date, we want a tenative, ballpark figure of when to expect it. Your true policy is to throw small bones, like "we're at work on it", and "be patient" because it keeps your customers supposedly on edge, when all you do is alienate them.

I'm not complaining simply at 80 soft, I'm venting at the entire industry of software manufactures that are going towards this policy of secrecy.

If you come out and say "We're on pace right now to get it out to you guys by summer", that's sufficient. If there are delays, let us know, and push back the tentative target.

That is the lesser of two evils that at least show your customers that you are thinking about them and their concerns. Yes, you will get backlash, but the ones that understand delays, and have dealt with them before (and any loyal gamer has) will be fine.

I just can't understand this policy, it almost seems asinine in nature.

Anthony, nobody needs an exact release date, we want a tenative, ballpark figure of when to expect it.  Your true policy is to throw small bones, like "we're at work on it", and "be patient" because it keeps your customers supposedly on edge, when all you do is alienate them.

I'm not complaining simply at 80 soft, I'm venting at the entire industry of software manufactures that are going towards this policy of secrecy.

If you come out and say "We're on pace right now to get it out to you guys by summer", that's sufficient.  If there are delays, let us know, and push back the tentative target.

That is the lesser of two evils that at least show your customers that you are thinking about them and their concerns.  Yes, you will get backlash, but the ones that understand delays, and have dealt with them before (and any loyal gamer has) will be fine.

I just can't understand this policy, it almost seems asinine in nature.

thats a little too extreme

if u dont like 80soft, dont buy the game

thats a little too extreme

if u dont like 80soft, dont buy the game

Doesn't it annoy you when Republicans say "If you don't like this country, leave it?"

Wouldn't it make more sense to stay, voice your opinion, and promote change, or are you suggesting that voicing your opinion is futile?

My point is this. The game itself is great, but I purchased the game PARTIALLY under the coviat that 80 soft would release a patch to include primaries, which would make it the most complete election sim out there.

I not only purchased this game once, I purchased it twice. I fried my hard drive on my previous computer, and instead of going through the political red tape, I just figured I shell out another measly $12.00 to get the game again. So I think I have paid for more than a right to complain about an asinine and self-defeating policy.

I hold no ill-will towards 80 soft as a company. I hold ill-will towards their policy of silence when it comes to future endevors. I'm a big fan of small-label, indipendent software, but am growing extremely tiresome of the same crap coming from a different beanhole (pardon the vulgarity). It doesn't work, it's killing good small label software companies, and ruining about the only thing they have going for them, which is a tight-knit bond of trust and understanding with their small base of customers.

I do not wish to seem melodramatic, but in all honesty, that's what it comes down to. When they promise something, then get tight lipped and say "you'll get it when you get it" it violates a bond of trust that the company will deliver on their word.