270soft Forum

What's in the Next Update?

Ok. I hate to be asking about it again, but it's been about two and a half months since the last substantive update. I'm not going to ask when...I know that we'll get a date when y'all are ready. I'm just wondering what ideas, tweaks, etc. are being incorporated into the new version. I'm all up for speculation on this point (or a generalized "we'll neither confirm nor deny suchandsuch" if it's the case), but I'm just getting curious.

I think it's safe to say by now that we won't be seeing the promised update -- ever.

I hate to say I told you so, but isn't this exactly what I've been saying since November?

Right, because whining and kicking your feet is exactly the way to get them to hustle.

I think it's safe to say by now that we won't be seeing the promised update -- ever.

I hate to say I told you so, but isn't this exactly what I've been saying since November?

uhhhhh no :angry: how about you just sit and wait....or u could attempt to make ur own election game that's better than P4E, then make and update for it.......

Not that I am saying it will happen this time, but this same situation was the case for P2000, and the supposed "major upgrade" for that never came.

My point stands: Does kicking and screaming and bitching at the developers make the release come any sooner, if at all?

Well, one key difference remains: No update was -publicly- announced by Tony then. It was in a bunch of emails, but it then got put off. Of course, I think the sudden appearance of Premier Forever caused at least a few of us to jump (but, given that a bunch of provincial scenarios did appear, it does in fact make logical sense to make a game as such) this time.

Now, that said, I didn't ask -when- or anything of that nature. I just tried to re-open speculation on what was in it. Nobody's been forthcoming, there were several dozen or hundred (j/k...it was in the dozens) suggestions made, but we haven't been told what's in or what's out. So I figure that's fair game. Things that come to mind are refinements of the House election system (to allow for attempts to influence the outcome) from a convention model (which derives from the primaries logically). I think speculation's fair game now, that's all.

My point stands: Does kicking and screaming and bitching at the developers make the release come any sooner, if at all?

I sure hope so! A developer that gives piss poor customer support is an unwise one. Many players were patient for the "major p2000 upgrade" that was announced years ago. The developer even had a mailing list you could apply to to be alerted for when the update was released. Guess what? It never came! This is a precedent I cannot fail to ignore, and hopefully 80soft sees this too. I do not like to bend over twice.

As a general point, my guess is that negative comments about when a product is going to be released don't help make them come quicker, it just makes whoever is reading them who is involved in development have a worse day. Having said that, it is important to 80soft (and I presume to other companies) to gauge interest in a product. So, my guess is positive comments not only allow a company to know there is interest, but also make whoever is reading them more enthusiastic about developing that product.

As for the President Forever update/sequel: yes, 80soft still intends to release a version with primaries; no, we won't give a target release date, for the reasons given several times before on this board.

Anthony Burgoyne

80soft.com