270soft Forum

Notable Challengers in 2022 Midterm Elections

vcczar

Of the following, who is the strongest challenger? Who is the most interesting challenger? Who is most likely to score an upset?

US Senate challengers

• Kelly Tschibaka (R) for AK
  • Val Demings (D) for FL 
  • Herschel Walker (R) for GA (likely candidate)
  • Charles Booker (D) for KY
  • Don Bolduc (R) for NH
  • Cheri Beasley (D) for NC
  • Tim Ryan (D) for OH
  • John Fetterman (D) for PA
  • Mandela Barnes (D) for WI

Governor challengers

• Charlie Crist (D) for FL
  • Jeff Colyer (R) for KS
  • Paul LePage (R) for ME
  • Tom Perez (D) for MD
  • Andrew Giuliani (R) for NY
  • Joe Cunningham (D) for SC
  • Stacey Abrams (D) for GA (likely candidate)
  • Matthew McConaughey (D) for TX (most frequently polled Democratic potential candidate)

Very interesting group. I'd add US Reps too but that's a lot harder to predict the nominees and there's a lot of them. 

I'll rate each candidate on a 10 point scale. 10 being the likeliest victor, and then 1 being least likely.

US Senate challengers

• Kelly Tschibaka (R) for AK

I give a 5. Murkowski is persona non grata in the state's GoP, but can Murkowski keep her appeal with the more moderate natives/Democrats?

• Val Demings (D) for FL 

4. She was an impeachment manager for Trump in a state that Trump improved in, and running against the poster child for the GoP.

• Herschel Walker (R) for GA (likely candidate)

5. I fail to see beyond being black, what is Walker's appeal. The man doesn't live within the state if I recall. Though will he be able appeal to the white moderates in Cobb County? Maybe if Walker tightropes the culture war issues.

• Charles Booker (D) for KY

1. Its Kentucky. 

• Don Bolduc (R) for NH

3. NH is a swingy state, but Bolduc has said some statements that could turn off voters(read what he has said about the 2020 election). 

• Cheri Beasley (D) for NC

7. Right now Beasley is the strongest candidate on the Dem side, and if she can frame McCrory as "far-right", it can be a doable win. 

• Tim Ryan (D) for OH

5. Ryan is a pretty good choice for Ohio on the Democratic side, but it hinges on if the GoP goes too far to the right with Vance or Mandel. 

• John Fetterman (D) for PA

8. Fetterman has that weird personality that appeals to alot of groups. Also the GoP field is relatively weak with those who are running.

• Mandela Barnes (D) for WI

3ish. I feel Godlewski might win if the Wisconsin party is leaning towards her, also Barnes is a black man from Milwaukee with some strong progressive views. I can see the conservative media there having a field day with that.

Governor challengers

• Charlie Crist (D) for FL

3. Third time is the charm to win statewide.

• Jeff Colyer (R) for KS

6. It is a midterm year, and maybe Colyer can ride that wave to the governor's mansion, regardless of how well liked Kelly is.

• Paul LePage (R) for ME

3. Ranked choice voting might do him again.

• Tom Perez (D) for MD

6. If i he can survive the primary he will win with his strong ties to the Obama admistration.

• Andrew Giuliani (R) for NY

1. Hes a Republican.

• Joe Cunningham (D) for SC

1. I voted for Cunningham twice in my district, but the upstate area(Greenville-Spartanburg) is far too conservative for a Democrat to win statewide. I can see Joe hitting 45-47%; but nothing higher.

• Stacey Abrams (D) for GA (likely candidate)

7. I think Abrams could pull it off this year as the state has proved it can elect Democrats statewide.

• Matthew McConaughey (D) for TX (most frequently polled Democratic potential candidate)

5. Texas is a massive state to run in, with large metro regions all over the state; and the Democratic party is still relatively disliked. Maybe an independent thats fairly wealthy is whats needed.