270soft Forum

Is Steve Bannon the new Rush Limbaugh?

Anthony_270

Since Limbaugh passed, I've been wondering who would become the next centre of right wing talk radio. Limbaugh's effect on the GOP is immense, reflected in him receiving a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Trump.

So I'm throwing this out there - at this point, does it look like Steve Bannon's War Room has become the new centre for right wing talk radio-podcasts?

On 7/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, Anthony_270 said:

Since Limbaugh passed, I've been wondering who would become the next centre of right wing talk radio. Limbaugh's effect on the GOP is immense, reflected in him receiving a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Trump.

So I'm throwing this out there - at this point, does it look like Steve Bannon's War Room has become the new centre for right wing talk radio-podcasts?

Steve Bannon has been invisible for like 3 years. I think Alex Jones has a better case than Steve Bannon, as of now, but Jones is also diminished. I'm not sure who has Rush's profile now. I don't think anyone currently does.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Steve Bannon has been invisible for like 3 years. I think Alex Jones has a better case than Steve Bannon, as of now, but Jones is also diminished. I'm not sure who has Rush's profile now. I don't think anyone currently does.

Bannon might be invisible to you, but not invisible on the right. This is a problem with the fragmented media landscape we now have.

However, he has been deplatformed from Twitter and YouTube, similar to Alex Jones.

Bongino and Shapiro are two others that come to mind. But I think you're right - no one currently has the influence of Limbaugh.

52 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Bannon might be invisible to you, but not invisible on the right. This is a problem with the fragmented media landscape we now have.

However, he has been deplatformed from Twitter and YouTube, similar to Alex Jones.

Bongino and Shapiro are two others that come to mind. But I think you're right - no one currently has the influence of Limbaugh.

Limbaugh wasn't invisible to the center or the left. I assume when you are wondering who replace Limbaugh, I assume you're asking who has that same profile. Maybe Tucker Carlson? He isn't quite the same though. I think Shapiro has some name recognition outside the right. I don't know anything about Bongino. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

Limbaugh wasn't invisible to the center or the left. I assume when you are wondering who replace Limbaugh, I assume you're asking who has that same profile. Maybe Tucker Carlson? He isn't quite the same though. I think Shapiro has some name recognition outside the right. I don't know anything about Bongino. 

No, but Limbaugh was in a time with less media fragmentation. Now that you've said it, though, I would say Carlson is the new centre (functional sense) of the right. I thought of him as replacing Bill O'Reilly as the centre of right-of-centre television, but you might be right that he has a visibility and mass reach which makes him the most similar to Limbaugh of anyone today.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, vcczar said:

Alex ones has been a joke outside of his circle. Sure he might say things that are similar to the right, but he will go on long drunk monologues about fighting the devil, and selling pills. In fact, if you go to banned.video you'll see his viewer count is smaller than "small market conservative talk radio hosts".

But it is Tucker Carlson. When Rush made an incendiary comment, the entire world listened. The only other person that could force liberals to stop what they are doing to go, "Ok...we need to disprove him" is Tucker. His ratings for that time slot are the highest Fox has seen(much like midday radio ratings were high during Rush's peak). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

Is that where most people watch Alex Jones (I have no idea)?

Yeah it is video hosting site since he was effectively kicked off of youtube and facebook. I mean the mere fact you even have to ask shows how little influence Alex has haha. 

Tucker Carlson is the easiest example to point to because his media type was similar.

Ben Shapiro could get to that point if he were to expand, but the Daily Wire is such a different media type that it isn't exactly the same (even if Shapiro does have a podcast).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Alex ones has been a joke outside of his circle. Sure he might say things that are similar to the right, but he will go on long drunk monologues about fighting the devil, and selling pills. In fact, if you go to banned.video you'll see his viewer count is smaller than "small market conservative talk radio hosts".

But it is Tucker Carlson. When Rush made an incendiary comment, the entire world listened. The only other person that could force liberals to stop what they are doing to go, "Ok...we need to disprove him" is Tucker. His ratings for that time slot are the highest Fox has seen(much like midday radio ratings were high during Rush's peak). 

Some of the videos there are showing a fairly significant number of views.

On the first page, one from 3 days ago has 785K, one from 5 days ago almost 1M, and so on, although there are a bunch with much fewer views (few thousand).

If you're getting upwards of 1M views, it seems to me that's pretty decent.

7 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

On the first page, one from 3 days ago has 785K, one from 5 days ago almost 1M, and so on, although there are a bunch with much fewer views (few thousand).

AFAICT, typical for Alex Jones Show is 200-300K (?), with some way above that.

3 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

AFAICT, typical for Alex Jones Show is 200-300K (?), with some way above that.

Yeah I am not denying Jones' doesnt have an audience just his reach is smaller than Carlson's. And I think oddly that Jones' likes that since he gets far less scrutiny. Maybe I underestimated his appeal just thought he was less popular lol. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Yeah I am not denying Jones' doesnt have an audience just his reach is smaller than Carlson's. And I think oddly that Jones' likes that since he gets far less scrutiny. Maybe I underestimated his appeal just thought he was less popular lol. 

Jones also has a more concentrated audience (which limits his appeals to certain groups), where Tucker has a broad audience amongst the right wing of the political spectrum

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Jones also has a more concentrated audience (which limits his appeals to certain groups), where Tucker has a broad audience amongst the right wing of the political spectrum

Yeah the perfect counterpart on the left/liberal wing is Chapo Trap House and Rachel Maddow. Chapo's subscriber count is massive on itunes(a bit higher than Alex's lol), but I feel their influence on the Democratic Party is limited. However, Maddow is basically the Democrats closest version to a Tucker. Not in flirting with far right talking points, but guiding party. Many political hopefuls during the Trump years used her show to announce they were running for higher office. 

• Thanks 1