270soft Forum

Donald Trump creates own social media platform

PoliticalPundit

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

The people who run Twitter are also strongly left leaning. Similar with FB. As Zuckerberg has said, 'Silicon Valley is an extremely left-leaning place'.

This new extremism warning Facebook is sending out is just further proof of this fact. Makes you wonder how far they can go without facing significant financial loss due to backlash

Just now, jvikings1 said:

This new extremism warning Facebook is sending out is just further proof of this fact. Makes you wonder how far they can go without facing significant financial loss due to backlash

Ya, the bias is pretty clear. All the bias is creating opportunities for competitors or legislators, but monopolies stay that way for a reason (they have lots of $s to buy up competitors and influence legislators).

7 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

@PoliticalPundit The biggest problem I can see off the bat is it is beholden to Google and Apple for app distribution.

If they decide they don't want Trump on an app, and the app doesn't comply, they can remove the app from their stores. Poof! There goes app distribution, updates, and so on.

For this to work, my guess is the app has to be independent of Google and Apple, who are both opposed to Trump and much of what he stands for.

But we'll see!

Yeah that seems like it'll be an ongoing issue, but somehow based on the article sounds like they made it extremely easy to just gather and copy all your twitter info and move it onto their site? Can't think twitter is happy with that...

I also see no Website browser version of GETTR yet? Big mistake. 

Personally it would have been smarter to make a Clubhouse like app that relies on audio that is supposed to not be allowed to be shared and a way to spread messages and ideas rather than things that can be misconstrued in text/dumb memes or whatever. IT's also open up more intelligence discourse.

I'd give this 1 thumbs down so far. Not impressed and a quiet rollout is not the best idea 

• Thanks 1

I am very curious to see how Twitter starts performing once they start rolling out their paid premium memberships. I am very skeptical people will buy into it when they already have platforms like OnlyFans and Patreon that offer the same thing but in video  format or explicit material. Why would someone want to have some "exclusive" tweet? Someone will just copy it in a second, and then what? Twitter bans them?

I would just find ways to put more ads on twitter and hope people don't mind. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 5:58 PM, Anthony_270 said:

Ya, the bias is pretty clear. All the bias is creating opportunities for competitors or legislators, but monopolies stay that way for a reason (they have lots of $s to buy up competitors and influence legislators).

Section 230 is a big part of the monopoly. It'll be difficult to do anything (in terns of competition) until that is addressed

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pilight said:

Gettr got hacked the day it launched...

This is the thing - there's a steep technological curve for these platforms. If Trump is indeed working on a separate social platform, it is going to be a magnet for hacking attacks.

IMO better to go with a mature platform, perhaps Telegram. I think the problem is he doesn't want to get deplatformed again, so wants control over it. Tough to get both.

• Upvote 1