270soft Forum

Donald Trump creates own social media platform

It's a blog. It also doesn't look like it's new (posts back to March).

As the quote in the article says

""President Trump’s website is a great resource to find his latest statements and highlights from his first term in office, but this is not a new social media platform," tweeted Jason Miller, a longtime adviser. "We’ll have additional information coming on that front in the very near future."

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

It's a blog. It also doesn't look like it's new (posts back to March).

As the quote in the article says

""President Trump’s website is a great resource to find his latest statements and highlights from his first term in office, but this is not a new social media platform," tweeted Jason Miller, a longtime adviser. "We’ll have additional information coming on that front in the very near future."

wrong wording, but it will be his biggest platform to speak to the public and with more words than twitter. 

if you look at the site it's extremely similar if not identical to his twitter style AND with the option to share his thoughts on FB or Twitter for the time being.  

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/desk

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

share his thoughts on FB or Twitter

He has been banned from Twitter. Why is he linking to their site? Can't believe elected Republican officials in general are still on Twitter. Absolute stupidity. The people who run Twitter don't like you and don't like your values. Could it not be any more clear?

There are a few paths. One is turn Twitter, Facebook, and so on into the equivalent of common carriers who can't deplatform people they disagree with politically. Just like the phone company isn't going to cancel your phone line if you say something they disagree with to someone else over the phone.

Another is to build a competitor, but Apple and Google are also antithetical to your values and control access to app stores. A tough row to hoe, as they will quickly target and neuter your apps if you allow anything they find a threat to build. Parler is Exhibit A on this.

Another is to move to an established competitor who has figured out how to circumvent Apple and Google portal controls. Gab has basically done this, and Telegram is moving to do this - probably because they see the writing on the wall.

But in the meantime, for goodness' sake, every pro-Republican should leave Twitter en masse and move to a competitor, and Trump should have publicly called for that months ago and moved himself. Then he could have taken a half year or however long to create an alternative (which almost certainly will face a steep learning curve given everything that will be thrown at it if it actually starts to take off).

45 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

He has been banned from Twitter. Why is he linking to their site? Can't believe elected Republican officials in general are still on Twitter. Absolute stupidity. The people who run Twitter don't like you and don't like your values. Could it not be any more clear?

There are a few paths. One is turn Twitter, Facebook, and so on into the equivalent of common carriers who can't deplatform people they disagree with politically. Just like the phone company isn't going to cancel your phone line if you say something they disagree with to someone else over the phone.

Another is to build a competitor, but Apple and Google are also antithetical to your values and control access to app stores. A tough row to hoe, as they will quickly target and neuter your apps if you allow anything they find a threat to build. Parler is Exhibit A on this.

Another is to move to an established competitor who has figured out how to circumvent Apple and Google portal controls. Gab has basically done this, and Telegram is moving to do this - probably because they see the writing on the wall.

But in the meantime, for goodness' sake, every pro-Republican should leave Twitter en masse and move to a competitor, and Trump should have publicly called for that months ago and moved himself. Then he could have taken a half year or however long to create an alternative (which almost certainly will face a steep learning curve given everything that will be thrown at it if it actually starts to take off).

So his supporters can post his comments, a hilarious work around since a lot of them are still on twitter. I was expecting a mass exodus of his top influencer republicans from twitter, but even his kids are still on it.

I dont think he needs to follow nay of those, as long as the cable news media and those sites like twitter still cover him when he writes "out there" tweets. It's possible they ignore him though. 

I think the issue w going to a less moderated site is the chances it devolves into REALLY out there conspiracies that don't get taken down.  

1 minute ago, PoliticalPundit said:

So his supporters can post his comments, a hilarious work around since a lot of them are still on twitter.

If Twitter chooses to do so, it can easily block any such posts. Technically, it's trivial. Whether they decide it's worth it at this point in time is another question.

2 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

the issue w going to a less moderated site is the chances it devolves into REALLY out there conspiracies that don't get taken down

I don't even understand this. Telegram has a vast number of users (hundreds of millions). Some people post really out there conspiracy theories. Why would they have to be taken down? You just don't follow or block people who post stuff you think is a really out there conspiracy theory. It sounds like you've been conditioned by Twitter and Facebook to think these sites *ought to* be View Point Nannies that take down things the owners of those sites don't approve of. 

3 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

If Twitter chooses to do so, it can easily block any such posts. Technically, it's trivial. Whether they decide it's worth it at this point in time is another question.

I don't even understand this. Telegram has a vast number of users (hundreds of millions). Some people post really out there conspiracy theories. Why would they have to be taken down? You just don't follow or block people who post stuff you think is a really out there conspiracy theory. It sounds like you've been conditioned by Twitter and Facebook to think these sites *ought to* be View Point Nannies that take down things the owners of those sites don't approve of. 

Im sure Twitter would especially at it got closer to election day and his people were spreading his message there. After they took him off twitter, what's done is done.

Bc Telegram to my knowledge is a private messaging app, right? A public less moderated form of twitter would just make it easy to associate a lot of the wild conspiracy theories onto his campaign from a media standpoint. Some are fine, but a lot are not. And no lol I have not been conditioned. I found a lot of the twitter posts they flagged to be pretty ridiculous. 

The best idea would be that anyone could privately comment on Trumps posts on the site he has and see others comments as well they are "friends" with, and the campaign (not him) could highlight maybe a curated list of 10-15 comments per post he has. So it gets his message across from a variety of angles and demographics. I wouldn't say moderated, but curated. 

8 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Telegram to my knowledge is a private messaging app

No, not sure why you think that. It's the largest competitor to Twitter in the world, with hundreds of millions of users. As with Twitter, it allows both direct messaging and public posting.

Notice what Facebook just did? Denied Trump readmittance to their platform. Stop helping your political opponents at companies who view you simply as data points to track you, manipulate you, and show you ads.

The idiocy of this is mind-blowing. If Republicans are this stupid, they deserve to lose election after election into perpetuity.

At this point, Republicans obviously can't turn Facebook or Twitter into common carriers at the federal level. However, it's possible they can effectively do that with state-based legislation. That is probably the best strategy in the short-term for Republicans. Simultaneously, a coordinated en masse relocation to other providers immediately (and it should have been 2 years ago).

Twitter -> Telegram or Gab

Facebook -> Diaspora

Google -> DuckDuckGo

YouTube (i.e., Google) -> Rumble

18 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Based on this and the Candace Owens interview, I give it 90% odds he's running.

What the Republican party needs isn't a coronation - it's an open, vigorous, but respectful primaries process. Trump might indeed be the best candidate, but let's test everyone's mettle.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

In effect, this is the exact opposite of what his administration did regarding net neutrality.  In typical doublespeak fashion, both Democrats and Republicans want tech companies to be able to discriminate and be unable to discriminate at the same time.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, pilight said:

both Democrats and Republicans want tech companies to be able to discriminate and be unable to discriminate at the same time.

Ya, exacty.

3 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

What the Republican party needs isn't a coronation - it's an open, vigorous, but respectful primaries process. Trump might indeed be the best candidate, but let's test everyone's mettle.

I agree, it can only help him the more people who run against him. 

But who will? Kasich? No one wants to get humiliated in debates by him. 

54 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

I agree, it can only help him the more people who run against him. 

But who will? Kasich? No one wants to get humiliated in debates by him. 

This is part of the problem. Trying to have a respectful primaries with Trump running is probably impossible.

His lack of decorum is what many find appealing about him.  It's perceived as "authentic" despite being just as much a carefully curated image as every other politician has.

4 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

This is part of the problem. Trying to have a respectful primaries with Trump running is probably impossible.

impossible. better chance of having a respectful debate against trump in a general than in the republican nomination process.

4 hours ago, pilight said:

His lack of decorum is what many find appealing about him.

Right. It works with candidates who aren't that charismatic, like Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz. I have to wonder if it would work that well against a candidate that is more charismatic.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:35 PM, Anthony_270 said:

Absolutely! I'm glad you're arguing against Trump as unquestioned nominee of the GOP. It would reek of what Democrats tried to do with Hillary Clinton in 2016. 

Interestingly, here's some poll for 2024:

• Trump is polling between 60% and 44% in GOP Primary polling. While this seems high, it seems kind of low for someone that has 100% name recognition and secured 94% of GOP voters in 2020. It suggests that about half of voters prefer another candidate. Naturally, it still means Trump is the candidate to beat, however. 
  • How are other potential nominees doing?
    • Mike Pence is getting 41% to 8%, including 18% in a poll that also includes Trump. He wins 2 of 5 polls that don't include Trump.
    • Other is getting 40% to 1%, with the 40% coming from a poll that includes only Trump, and a 19% the high for a poll without Trump.
    • Undecided is getting 35% to 6%, naturally highest when Trump is not included and lowest when he is.
    • Donald Trump Jr is getting 21% to 3%, and he gets 6% in one poll that also includes his father in the poll. He wins 1 of 5 polls that doesn't include his father. 
    • Ron DeSantis is getting 20% to 2%, wins 2 of 5 polls that don't include Trump. 
    • Ted Cruz is getting 16% to 3%, and is the 3rd choice in polls without Trump and that include both Pence and DeSantis.
    • Nikki Haley is getting 10% to 2%, and is generally falls at #4. 
    • Tim Scott is getting 7% to 0%
    • Mitt Romney is getting 6% to 3%
    • Josh Hawley is getting 6% to 0%
    • Marco Rubio is getting 4% to 0%
    • Tucker Carlson is getting 4% to 0%
    • Larry Hogan is getting 1% to 0%

Strange outlier Poll: One poll on election day 2021, had Romney only 10% behind Trump. 

My thoughts: I think Trump most likely would win nomination in a crowded field, but I think if Pence and Haley quickly endorsed Ron DeSantis, then DeSantis could upset Trump. I think Tim Scott and Josh Hawley are both polling well for people with low name recognition among the general public. I think Nikki Haley's time has kind of passed, much in the same way that Bobby Jindal and Chris Christie missed their opportunities by not running in 2008 and 2012, respectively. Romney obvious won't run. I don't think Pence will either.

I can't think of a single moderate Republican that could win the nomination even if a ton of conservatives split up the Trump vote. There's basically no moderates left in the party, which is an advantage for the Democrats, since Biden took the independent vote from Trump in 2024. I'm reading a new book on the 2020 election called A Return to Normalcy. Some of the % should be worrisome to the GOP if Trump is the nominee: 

1. Trump lost almost double the popular vote margin in 2020 that he lost in 2016. 

2. His support among evangelicals dropped from 80% to 76%

3. For the first time in history, opposition against an incumbent (Trump) was the factor in the opposition party's victory. Biden doesn't compel the same outrage. Trump is unlikely to be more likable in 2024 than he was in 2020. 

4. Trump won independents decisively in 2016 and lost them decisively in 2020. I don't think he can win a group back that he lost. 

5. He lost the 2020 election. Our only precedence for a former president running to gain his office back is Grover Cleveland. However, the conditions aren't the same. Cleveland lost in his reelection bid, but he had won the popular vote when Benjamin Harrison defeated him. Benjamin Harrison was basically the complete opposite of Joe Biden--a human iceberg. Harrison was doomed because of an economic crash. The GOP and Democrats had a lot of cross-over voting at this time. The idea of 94% of Democrats voting Democrat and 94% of Republicans voting Republicans was pretty much unheard of, outside of the Deep South, which was solidly Blue.

I'll argue that Trump might have immediately name recognition and can maximize fundraising and such, but I think he might be the weakest candidate the GOP can run against Joe Biden or Kamala Harris in 2024. He'll be 78, and while he's still younger than Biden, the party would do better against Biden by propping up someone with relative youth and vigor, such as Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott, or Tom Cotton. This might be especially the case if Harris is the nominee. Trump could seem young vs. Biden, but he's going to be ancient vs Harris. 

I don't think Trump can win back independents since I doubt Biden is going to face a bad economy by 2024, an economy that will likely be moving upwards post-Covid. Biden is never going to be as unlikable as either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. I don't think Harris will either, even though she'll never be as likable as Biden. 

I will say, that if any former president that was defeated was going to run again and win it would be Trump, mainly because he's so good at playing the victim regardless of what happens. He could shoot 16 people in the face at one of his own rallies, and then somehow convince the crowd he was the real victim in the accident. 

Overall, it's been quite nice not seeing him in the news all the time. My blood pressure has been like 20 points lower. I'll be happy in 50 years when he's one of those relatively forgotten one-term presidents to people born after 2020, although if he does end up being one of the five worst presidents he might not be forgotten. 

4 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think he might be the weakest candidate the GOP can run against Joe Biden or Kamala Harris in 2024. He'll be 78, and while he's still younger than Biden, the party would do better against Biden by propping up someone with relative youth and vigor, such as Ron DeSantis, Tim Scott, or Tom Cotton. This might be especially the case if Harris is the nominee. Trump could seem young vs. Biden, but he's going to be ancient vs Harris.

I hear ya. My view is I can't know a priori who will be the best candidate. That's what an open, fair primaries process is for.

I will say my estimation of DeSantis has risen significantly over the past 2 years. DeSantis has displayed much superior leadership re Covid than Trump, IMO. But ... being Governor of Florida is perhaps one of the most important political positions in the country (3rd largest state). He has made a good FL Gov so far, but would he make a good Rep candidate for POTUS? I dunno, and I almost don't want him to spend a bunch of time and attention away from being Gov.

So although at this point I probably prefer DeSantis over Trump, perhaps it would be better to let the Republican party conclusively end their Trump chapter one way or the other (win or lose).

I think some of this is going to depend on on-going views about the legitimacy of the 2020 election results. If the consensus remains or strengthens among Reps that Biden's victory was illegitimate, it strengthens Trump's prospects in 2024.

• Upvote 1

I see the argument that Trump isn't the best general election candidate, that's very easy to see.

But absolutely no one in any scenario is beating Trump in a GOP primary. No one. Pence and Haley endorsing DeSantis = he wins? No. 

15 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

But absolutely no one in any scenario is beating Trump in a GOP primary.

He definitely has significant advantages. Name ID = 100%, large treasure chest, obviously has relevant experience now, grass roots bona fides, all sorts of connections. 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:49 PM, Anthony_270 said:

He definitely has significant advantages. Name ID = 100%, large treasure chest, obviously has relevant experience now, grass roots bona fides, all sorts of connections

I feel that this might be the most important factor in determining Trump's success in 2024. Allow me to compare Trump to his favorite person, Hillary Clinton 😆. In 2016 she had a large war chest, name ID(Senator of the 3rd largest state, and wife of a President), and close relationships of countless Democratic Party members. That last part helped clear a path for her to the nomination(with many not wanting to risk their careers by running against her).

Now outside of the "resistance twitter" part of the Democratic Party, Clinton holds little sway within the party; Trump however is still influential. So the only primary challenger that Trump will face is the token moderate(your Hogan. Kasich, etc) or someone who feels that Trump is not far right enough-Bernie Sanders to Hillary in 16. But regardless, that last part, money be damned is why if he announces suddenly Tim Scott, DeSantis, and so on will stop flirting with running. 

• Upvote 1