270soft Forum

Sex Scandal Poll

vcczar

Politician Sex Scandal Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should a sex scandal result in forced resignation of an incumbent politician if the following occur?

• Having a mistress while married should result in resignation.
    • Having an affair with a married person without that married person's spouse's consent should result in resignation.
    • Having relations with someone of the same sex should result in resignation.
    • Having relations with someone who is trans should result in resignation.
    • Having relations with someone that is underage by state or federal law should result in resignation.
    • Having relations with someone without their consent should result in resignation.
    • Sexual harassment or purposeful inappropriate touching without the person's consent should result in resignation.
    • Evidence of multiple instances of harassment or purposeful inappropriate touching without a person's consent should result in resignation.
    • Lying or attempting to cover up one's sex scandal when strong evidence is provided should result in resignation.
    • None of the above should result in resignation--only voters should decide (i.e. if one is an efficient, popular politician, they should be able to do what they want until their voters can't take it anymore)
  2. 2. Which of the following politicians who have been hit by major sex scandals with substantial evidence should have (or should) resign?

• Pres. Bill Clinton (D) -- lying under oath about the Monica Lewinsky Affair. Also had string of other lovers prior to her.
    • Sen. Al Franken (D) -- Forcibly kissed a woman and groped her without her permission.
    • Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) -- Accusation by at least 10 women of sexual misconduct
    • Rep. Matt Gaetz (R) -- Allegedly paid an underage girl to travel with him for sex; said to have shown nude photos of other girls (possibly underage) to friends and coworkers.
    • Pres. Donald Trump (R) -- accused by 25 women of sexual assault, caught on tape admitting such behavior; known affairs with prostitutes.
    • Justice Clarence Thomas (R) -- alleged sexual harassments of Anita Hill and several other women.
    • Sen. Larry Craig (R) -- Lewd sexual conduct with another man in an airport restroom
    • Sen. John Edwards (D) -- Affair with actress/film producer which resulted in a child; likely other affairs
    • Speaker Newt Gingrich (R) -- Affair with staffer while leading an impeachment against Clinton's affair; also, cheated on his 1st wife while she was in surgery cancer
    • Strom Thurmond (R) -- Slept with a 16-year-old black servant, fathering a child, prior to his election as a pro-segregationist politician.
    • Sen. John Ensign (R) -- Affair with wife of a close-friend, while acting as one of the leaders in Clinton's impeachment for lying about an affair.
    • Speaker Dennis Hastert (R) -- Sexually abused boys while employed as a high school wrestling coach
    • Justice Brett Kavanaugh (R) -- Accused by 5 women of sexual assault or sexual misconduct during high school and college.
    • Judge and Sen-Nom Roy Moore (R) -- Sexual contact or sexual misconduct of 9 women when they were teenage girls.
    • Rep. Katie Hill (D) -- Affair with two subordinates: A male legislative director and a female staffer.
    • None of the above should have resigned or should resign.

To clarify why I absolve Franken, Craig, and Hill. 

I frown on any affair that is not endorsed by the spouse or is not reciprocal. However, Franken's seems to have been a one-time instance that didn't result in forced sex. Craig's scandal seems to have been reciprocal, even if hypocritical for an anti-LGBT politician, and Hill's seemed to have been reciprocal. 

I think Clinton and Edwards could have been absolved if they didn't deny that they took place until compelled to admit them. Their affairs were reciprocal. 

I think Kavanaugh could be absolved if he was aiming for about any office other than Supreme Court Justice. 

Gingrich and Ensign could be absolved except they were committing their affairs while launching an impeachment against a president for an affair. 

Fact of the Day: Worst sex scandal politician in US History-- Pro-slavery Sen. James Henry Hammond of SC, who raped 4 of his teenage nieces. Despite this, becoming public knowledge, he was reelected. The nieces never married, partially because of trauma, but also because of the disgrace of not being virgins anymore. While only scandalous for its time, Hammond also had a known relationship with a man when he was younger. 

It's obvious that 'sex scandals' have become political weapons. The charges have varying degrees of merit. Simply stacking charges made against a high-profile political figure doesn't mean the charges are more likely to be true. If a person wants to make a public charge like this, the worst time (from a motive point of view) is during an election or appointment process.

If only Clinton had merely had an affair. He was impeached for perjury before a Federal Grand Jury because he had been sued for sexual harassment by Paul Jones and then lied under oath, as well as obstruction of justice. Clinton then paid Jones $850,000 to settle the suit out-of-court.

"I think Kavanaugh could be absolved if he was aiming for about any office other than Supreme Court Justice."

Could be absolved of *what*? People making charges for the first time in a highly charged political confirmation process, with 0 credible evidence for any of the charges. The only seemingly credible one, which was given a hearing in front of the Senate committee, fell apart. Couldn't remember where the alleged incident happened, when it happened, couldn't be corroborated by the supposed witnesses, vast period of time between alleged incident and any public record of charges, not even good evidence the 2 had even met.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

"known affairs with prostitutes"

Which prostitutes is Trump known to have had affairs with?

Stormy Daniels. 

On another note @Patine wrote me to ask you to read his email to you, which he says is off a different tenor than his other emails.

11 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Stormy Daniels. 

On another note @Patine wrote me to ask you to read his email to you, which he says is off a different tenor than his other emails.

Patine threatened the company with legal action. He is permanently banned.

6 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Patine threatened the company with legal action. He is permanently banned.

Ah ok. Although I personally like Patine (most of the time), I do understand why that would warrant permanent banning from any company. I likely would have done the same thing. I'll miss him on the forum, but I'm enjoying the relative tranquility since I've returned. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

So, not 'prostitutes' but one person, and not 'known' but alleged.

She isn't the only alleged person he paid for sex. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/27/stormy-daniels-lawyer-alleges-trump-paid-off-three-additional-women.html

I should have said "alleged," even if it seems likely from what we think we know of Trump. My guess is he did things like this routinely, especially when he wasn't married. 

14 minutes ago, vcczar said:

She isn't the only alleged person he paid for sex

I don't think her allegation is that he paid her for sex. Her allegation, which is true, is he paid her to sign an NDA to not take the allegation public.

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

"cheated on his 1st wife while she was in surgery cancer"

Interesting you note this about Gingrich, but don't note Edwards did a similar thing re his wife.

That's right. I totally forgot Edward's wife had cancer. 

I am very much against forced resignations until someone is convicted. Otherwise I'd strongly hope people had to courage to resign under enormous pressure.

Like many I voted for

Having relations with someone without their consent should result in resignation.

Sexual harassment or purposeful inappropriate touching without the person's consent should result in resignation.

Evidence of multiple instances of harassment or purposeful inappropriate touching without a person's consent should result in resignation.

But I am not sure for

Having relations with someone that is underage by state or federal law should result in resignation.

Depends of the age by state, if every state say 15 years old it's okay, if it's 18 I would tend to say no.

About sexual misconducts we all have a value of gravity, my own like many is that having affairs while being unmarried is okay, having affairs while being married is not morally okay but a private issue.

Sexual harassment is the breaking line and of course touching children who can't consent needs to lead to a resignation.