270soft Forum

Who wins: Warnock vs. Walker for Georgia Senate 2022?

Anthony_270

Who wins: Warnock vs. Walker for Georgia Senate 2022?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins: Warnock vs. Walker for Georgia Senate 2022

13 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Trump recently encouraged Herschel Walker to run for the Georgia Senate in 2022 vs. Raphael Warnock. If that's the matchup, who do you think is likely to win?

I like Herschel Walker, despite his Trump support. Maybe it's because I was born in Dallas, and he was our best football player for a few years when I was a small kid. I think three factors might hamper him: 1) Issue knowledge 2) He has a known history of disassociated personality disorder--also known as multiple personality disorder. 3) Warnock might be harder to beat an incumbent Senator than as a challenger to an incumbent. 

Walker's greatest draw is that he's a celebrity, but he's also sort of a has-been. I think one would have to be 40 to have much of a memory of him playing (I'm 41), and I barely remember him when he was still any good. Those in Georgia that probably would have the fondest memories of him would be in their 50s. 

Overall, I think Walker is kind-hearted. Despite his Trump support, I'd be inclined to like him, even if I disagree with almost all of his Republican platform, whatever it might be. He isn't a Trump-like Trump supporter, so he wins some points there. That might help him. In the end, I think his personality disorder might bother some people, even if it is medicated. It might make it hard for him to really follow through on a laborious campaign. 

Walker might also be better off challenging Ossof, honestly. I think Warnock being black and a pastor might be harder for Walker to dent. Ossof being white, Jewish, and cosmopolitan might be easier for Walker to beat, considering the demographics of Georgia. 

• Upvote 1

It's really simple. Whoever Trump endorses comes without his less than desirable qualities/abrasiveness and yet the same enthusiasm and momentum swing. Warnock and Walker both appeal to the everyday man and demographics, and Trump with his 98% endorsement record is unstoppable. Easy win especially with Walker's charisma. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I like Herschel Walker, despite his Trump support. Maybe it's because I was born in Dallas, and he was our best football player for a few years when I was a small kid. I think three factors might hamper him: 1) Issue knowledge 2) He has a known history of disassociated personality disorder--also known as multiple personality disorder. 3) Warnock might be harder to beat an incumbent Senator than as a challenger to an incumbent. 

Walker's greatest draw is that he's a celebrity, but he's also sort of a has-been. I think one would have to be 40 to have much of a memory of him playing (I'm 41), and I barely remember him when he was still any good. Those in Georgia that probably would have the fondest memories of him would be in their 50s. 

Overall, I think Walker is kind-hearted. Despite his Trump support, I'd be inclined to like him, even if I disagree with almost all of his Republican platform, whatever it might be. He isn't a Trump-like Trump supporter, so he wins some points there. That might help him. In the end, I think his personality disorder might bother some people, even if it is medicated. It might make it hard for him to really follow through on a laborious campaign. 

Walker might also be better off challenging Ossof, honestly. I think Warnock being black and a pastor might be harder for Walker to dent. Ossof being white, Jewish, and cosmopolitan might be easier for Walker to beat, considering the demographics of Georgia. 

He did Celebrity Apprentice, which is even more grueling hours wise. He'll be fine and is in peak shape. Medication problems will only be an issue for someone like Biden by year 3. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

I do believe Trump endorsed both Loeffler and Perdue...yet here we are...

Did you watch his speech? Did you read any articles whatsoever after the fact talking about him not wanting to even campaign for them but his people made him? He had to practically get dragged there to "Campaign" For them and complained the entire time about the election being rigged. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anthony_270 said:

The grassroots were not enthusiastic for Loeffler or Purdue at all. Do these 2 make up the 2%, @PoliticalPundit😉

I suppose so! I do think the mainstream media and DNC forcefulness of the repercussions of Georgia played a factor (as well as Trump's general lack of enthusiasm and bitterness of a rigged election) which I doubt will happen for a supposed Republican in Alaska. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Somebody said:

But that's Trafalgar. They only got 2 out of the 7 swing states they predicted would go for Trump(FL+NC/AZ+GA+MI+NV+NC+PA) and overestimated Kemp's victory by 10 points.

Yeah. Also Walker has the advantage of name recognition and a rather solid speech. He's going to be different speaking on the cuff on issues, handling a debate, etc. He's also on some serious medication for multiple personality disorder, which might have some side effects. Also, we don't know how controlled his mental health issues are. However, Walker is likable, even if he might not be a good fit for a US Senator. There's also the issue of him having a primary residency in Texas. Warnock is all Georgia. 

2 hours ago, Somebody said:

But that's Trafalgar. They only got 2 out of the 7 swing states they predicted would go for Trump(FL+NC/AZ+GA+MI+NV+NC+PA) and overestimated Kemp's victory by 10 points.

Yeah but the popularity breakdown Walker > Collins > Loeffler seems pretty accurate 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Yeah. Also Walker has the advantage of name recognition and a rather solid speech. He's going to be different speaking on the cuff on issues, handling a debate, etc. He's also on some serious medication for multiple personality disorder, which might have some side effects. Also, we don't know how controlled his mental health issues are. However, Walker is likable, even if he might not be a good fit for a US Senator. There's also the issue of him having a primary residency in Texas. Warnock is all Georgia. 

Yeah for that reasons Walker wouldn't be my favorite. His likeability might be his biggest asset. However, I hope for Georgia Chief Justice Harold Melton to run. He is resigning his position on July 1st and I think there are only two reasons why he's doing so: 1. to prepare a candidacy for US Senate and 2. to allow Governor Kemp to give a Republican an incumbency bonus for the judicial election. Additionally the GOP can't be sure that Kemp gets re-elected, so stepping down now seems logical.

B.J. Pak would also be a formidable candidate.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Somebody said:

Better question: which pollsters were the most accurate in battleground polls in terms of % off?

56 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Source?

All the typical medication is here. Click on each one, and you get the side effects: https://www.drugs.com/condition/dissociative-identity-disorder.html

Some of them could seriously impair judgment. Those regarding physical health might not impact him too much since I think he probably still works out. None of the side-effects would be as serious as if he didn't take the medication at all. 

58 minutes ago, Anthony_270 said:

Even better question: which pollster has consistently been the most accurate in polling GA for Sen. races?

That is a good question. Another question worth asking, which was posited today on The Hill, is whether or not "antifa" really exists. We could also ask the same of QAnon to make it a more bipartisan question. 

39 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Some of them could seriously impair judgment.

Ya, I'm asking whether you have a source indicating he is still taking that sort of medication.

Either way, the history of psychological problems like this are a clear campaign liability.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

Ya, I'm asking whether you have a source indicating he is still taking that sort of medication.

Either way, the history of psychological problems like this are a clear campaign liability.

I assume he is, considering he has multiple personality disorder. I don't think that just goes away. Here's his own book on it: https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Dissociative-Identity-Disorder/dp/1416537503

Here is speaking to the military about it: https://www.army.mil/article/96846/herschel_walker_shares_his_battle_against_mental_illness_with_fort_drum_soldiers#:~:text=Herschel Walker%2C who won the,following an exceptional football career.

Here is a write up about it from many years ago. Apparently, the threatened his wife with knives, which he doesn't deny nor remember: https://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/04/15/herschel.walker.did/index.html

I can't find anything on the medication that he takes. I doubt psychotherapy would be enough, but it probably helps cope with it. I'm also unsure how often this sort of mental illness flares up, and if some conditions--like stress--cause it to become more of an issue. Many Senators work over 14 hours a day. I remember reading that John McCain worked 18 hour days. There's a chance Walker doesn't want to run for these reasons. 

All of this is going to come back up often if he does declare a run for the US Senate. I'm sure most voters will vote for their party, but some independents are going to be cautious about Walker's fitness to be a US Senator, unless Warnock bombs as a Senator. 

Personally, I think Walker would likely be more compassionate of a Republican than Purdue or Loeffler, so I'd prefer him beating Warnock, even though I hope Warnock wins reelection. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

All of this is going to come back up often if he does declare a run for the US Senate.

Yes, it's obvious and a Walker campaign will have to be prepared for it - preferably for them by getting out front of it and being entirely transparent.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I assume he is, considering he has multiple personality disorder. I don't think that just goes away. Here's his own book on it: https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Dissociative-Identity-Disorder/dp/1416537503

Here is speaking to the military about it: https://www.army.mil/article/96846/herschel_walker_shares_his_battle_against_mental_illness_with_fort_drum_soldiers#:~:text=Herschel Walker%2C who won the,following an exceptional football career.

Here is a write up about it from many years ago. Apparently, the threatened his wife with knives, which he doesn't deny nor remember: https://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/04/15/herschel.walker.did/index.html

I can't find anything on the medication that he takes. I doubt psychotherapy would be enough, but it probably helps cope with it. I'm also unsure how often this sort of mental illness flares up, and if some conditions--like stress--cause it to become more of an issue. Many Senators work over 14 hours a day. I remember reading that John McCain worked 18 hour days. There's a chance Walker doesn't want to run for these reasons. 

All of this is going to come back up often if he does declare a run for the US Senate. I'm sure most voters will vote for their party, but some independents are going to be cautious about Walker's fitness to be a US Senator, unless Warnock bombs as a Senator. 

Personally, I think Walker would likely be more compassionate of a Republican than Purdue or Loeffler, so I'd prefer him beating Warnock, even though I hope Warnock wins reelection. 

He wrote that book in 2009, he's done MULTIPLE tv shows since then including as mentioned CELEBRITY APPRENTICE which has them waking up at 5am working 12-14 hour days if not more daily for weeks (if you're talking about politicians working _ hours a day) and not once did Walker psychologically show any signs of stress compared to the other celebs on the show. He was the kindest and calmest guy on the show, his error was stepping up to take too much responsibility as a leader on the show. No erratic behavior. 

This is not a fair attack.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PoliticalPundit said:

He wrote that book in 2009, he's done MULTIPLE tv shows since then including as mentioned CELEBRITY APPRENTICE which has them waking up at 5am working 12-14 hour days if not more daily for weeks (if you're talking about politicians working _ hours a day) and not once did Walker psychologically show any signs of stress compared to the other celebs on the show. He was the kindest and calmest guy on the show, his error was stepping up to take too much responsibility as a leader on the show. No erratic behavior. 

This is not a fair attack.

I'm not attacking him. I'm saying that this might cause issues with his candidacy for some people. As I've stated on this thread multiple times, I like Herschel Walker, even if I disagree with him politically.  That said, it is a fair concern. He could use his celebrity apprentice episodes as evidence to alleviate these concerns. As I also stated above, I'd prefer Walker as a US Senator to Purdue or Loeffler, although not over Warnock. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm not attacking him. I'm saying that this might cause issues with his candidacy for some people. As I've stated on this thread multiple times, I like Herschel Walker, even if I disagree with him politically.  That said, it is a fair concern. He could use his celebrity apprentice episodes as evidence to alleviate these concerns. As I also stated above, I'd prefer Walker as a US Senator to Purdue or Loeffler, although not over Warnock. 

It's not a fair concern at all based on his track record. You're digging up things that he talked about in 2008. Since then he's constantly been doing appearances and events where this isn't even the slightest issue. You're talking about his "medication" as if there have been 0 improvements in them in 13 years. 

If a candidate or anyone on the opposite side attacked him in this manner, they would be rightfully trashed even in the mainstream. I am assuming that wasn't your intention, but this is a really really poor excuse of an "issue" revolving him. 

These aren't the attacks Democrats will even touch in an election. Bizarre issue to come up with. 

3 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

It's not a fair concern at all based on his track record. You're digging up things that he talked about in 2008. Since then he's constantly been doing appearances and events where this isn't even the slightest issue. You're talking about his "medication" as if there have been 0 improvements in them in 13 years. 

If a candidate or anyone on the opposite side attacked him in this manner, they would be rightfully trashed even in the mainstream. I am assuming that wasn't your intention, but this is a really really poor excuse of an "issue" revolving him. 

These aren't the attacks Democrats will even touch in an election. Bizarre issue to come up with. 

We will find out once he runs. I'm about 95% certain his mental health issues will come up either by Democrats or by other GOP primary challengers or by both. I think mental health is a rightful concern and that a candidate--regardless of political party or ideology--should have to address these concerns. That is not to say they can't govern or govern well. I'm pointing out an issue that some will have, and that he will need to address that issue. Nothing more. It's a rather common place concern and not bizarre in the least. Any politician that has been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, severe bipolar, or other significant mental health issue--even if it is resolved--should be expected to address it. Part of running for a campaign is alleviating fears, even if the fears are unfounded. One Democrat will have to do the same if he runs for office again: Jason Kander. I think he would be an exceptional president, US Senator, or governor. However, he suffers from severe PTSD from war service. He actually dropped out of a race because of it. If he ran again, he would have to rightfully alleviate concerns about his mental health. I have no doubt that he would. It is to be expected. This is not unlike JFK having to alleviate concerns about being a Catholic nominee or Ronald Reagan having to alleviate concerns about his "advanced age." Both did so, both won, and both are generally consider above average to good presidents. I would apply all of this to myself if I had mental health issues (I do have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder--ADHD) and would work to alleviate such concerns. If people thought my ADHD was an issue, I wouldn't fault them for thinking that way. It's a valid concern. I'd explain why it wouldn't hinder me. I might even argue it would be a blessing in disguise. 

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

We will find out once he runs. I'm about 95% certain his mental health issues will come up either by Democrats or by other GOP primary challengers or by both. I think mental health is a rightful concern and that a candidate--regardless of political party or ideology--should have to address these concerns. That is not to say they can't govern or govern well. I'm pointing out an issue that some will have, and that he will need to address that issue. Nothing more. It's a rather common place concern and not bizarre in the least. Any politician that has been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, severe bipolar, or other significant mental health issue--even if it is resolved--should be expected to address it. Part of running for a campaign is alleviating fears, even if the fears are unfounded. One Democrat will have to do the same if he runs for office again: Jason Kander. I think he would be an exceptional president, US Senator, or governor. However, he suffers from severe PTSD from war service. He actually dropped out of a race because of it. If he ran again, he would have to rightfully alleviate concerns about his mental health. I have no doubt that he would. It is to be expected. This is not unlike JFK having to alleviate concerns about being a Catholic nominee or Ronald Reagan having to alleviate concerns about his "advanced age." Both did so, both won, and both are generally consider above average to good presidents. I would apply all of this to myself if I had mental health issues (I do have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder--ADHD) and would work to alleviate such concerns. If people thought my ADHD was an issue, I wouldn't fault them for thinking that way. It's a valid concern. I'd explain why it wouldn't hinder me. I might even argue it would be a blessing in disguise. 

In no ways is this a "blessing in disguise". These are just veiled attacks to continue to feed the "crazy black man" stereotype just like many have tried to do with black politicians in the past. Not going to happen. 

I'm about 95% sure the first person who brings this up in the mainstream (if any do at all) are going to get absolutely demolished for these sorts of tactics.