270soft Forum

Next update thread

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think it will have that much of an impact. It's only going to pull in people that are ardent Trump supporters, many who are already having their posts censored on Facebook and Twitter. People that don't like Trump or vote for him only because he's not a Democrats, are not going to use that platform. Basically, it's going to be an echo chamber for a cult devoted primarily to a single political figure. I'm also curious if a social media platform that is an echo chamber can survive. One theory I have is that with the "death of newspapers" as an instrument of partisan politics, social media is filling the vacuum. Maybe we we will have AOC Social Media, Trump Social Media, Kamala Social Media, Cruz Social Media, etc. 

We'll see, I wouldn't underestimate Trump's social media team to put out a strong product. 

Especially if the media starts covering it like they did twitter OR they purposely try to avoid mentioning it if it gives too far alt right themes. time will tell. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Main Screen and Electoral Info Screen will have a new button, the Polls Button. That opens a screen like RCP or 538 polls page. It depends on which region is selected on the Main Map. So, if

You can hover over a point set to see the values.

Editor should be a top priority  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

what do people think of Trump creating a new social media platform in 2-3 months?

Extremely tight timeframe to do this. There are options Trump could have chosen if he wanted a competitor. Interested in what exactly the reasoning is behind this. Interested in how he thinks he's going to get around Apple and Google, who control apps in their app stores. Interested in how the tech team is going to be able to handle everything that's thrown at them probably starting right away. Interested in what lessons they'll take from Parler to apply to their own social media ecosystem.

Just as conservatives had to create their own traditional media, they probably will have to create their own social media if they don't want to be constantly censored and thrown off of a platform. 

But I like him not being on Twitter - he's better in occasional long-form, IMO!

• Upvote 1

Boy do I love when PI classic crashes and completely screws itself up after I'm in the middle of a 3rd party Dark Horse run in 2020. 

I was playing a moderate Austin Petersen (I flip-flopped him on all issues to where he's roughly R+10 or something instead of his near-far right platform) and I'm playing a "dark horse" 2020 LP run, where I let the other two parties go their normal ways and I build off a campaign off Integrity, Issue Familiarity, and Economy. 

I was at February 1st with a default +8 boost in IF when the crash happened. In a 0 momentum region I had at base a default 6 Power when B'storming on my IF. Klobberchar was +8 in IA and Buttigeg was like +5-8 nationally. Klobberchar lead in IA, NV, and NH. I'd saved at Dec. 16, but after IA i was getting the endorsement of Bill Clinton and rollling through the LP primaries to stich up undecided delagate support. I was at 8 Command Strength and around 3.7 average in the other categories.

And then it crashed. At first it was just a black screen with overlayed numbers all over it, but then pressing a couple buttons forcefully reloaded the map colored states in, and then the background map.

I'm restarting next week on a re-started game session at Dec. 16. Ugh, so much progress lost.

I'm posting this in here because I want to know if this bug has occurred in other people's PI Official playthroughs of a 3rd or 1st party primary-start playthrough. I've been running thecurrent session for like 27 or more hours straight, not always actually playing but letting it sit there in the background. I'm guessing the pro-longed session is what caused the crash, but this has happened in shorter sessions where more candidates were activated at the same time. 

Thanks in advance to whoever else wants to help me cope here lol.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Boy do I love when PI classic crashes and completely screws itself up after I'm in the middle of a 3rd party Dark Horse run in 2020. 

I was playing a moderate Austin Petersen (I flip-flopped him on all issues to where he's roughly R+10 or something instead of his near-far right platform) and I'm playing a "dark horse" 2020 LP run, where I let the other two parties go their normal ways and I build off a campaign off Integrity, Issue Familiarity, and Economy. 

I was at February 1st with a default +8 boost in IF when the crash happened. In a 0 momentum region I had at base a default 6 Power when B'storming on my IF. Klobberchar was +8 in IA and Buttigeg was like +5-8 nationally. Klobberchar lead in IA, NV, and NH. I'd saved at Dec. 16, but after IA i was getting the endorsement of Bill Clinton and rollling through the LP primaries to stich up undecided delagate support. I was at 8 Command Strength and around 3.7 average in the other categories.

And then it crashed. At first it was just a black screen with overlayed numbers all over it, but then pressing a couple buttons forcefully reloaded the map colored states in, and then the background map.

I'm restarting next week on a re-started game session at Dec. 16. Ugh, so much progress lost.

I'm posting this in here because I want to know if this bug has occurred in other people's PI Official playthroughs of a 3rd or 1st party primary-start playthrough. I've been running thecurrent session for like 27 or more hours straight, not always actually playing but letting it sit there in the background. I'm guessing the pro-longed session is what caused the crash, but this has happened in shorter sessions where more candidates were activated at the same time. 

Thanks in advance to whoever else wants to help me cope here lol.

PI Classic has memory issues when it starts in primaries and goes for a long time. One of the things I'm doing right now is re-doing polls to solve this problem for 2021.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Suggestion: Can we please have keyboard-focused play optioned back in? (so when you open a menu you don't have to click through to do literally everything)

Also, just wanted to ask one last time, will you ever add in missing 2016 candidates in a future (small) update?

Also don't bother trying to play 2021.1 in the primaries. Just tried it and 7 days in it broke on me, with candidate names on the side not changing even after selecting different party primaries and states, and all headlines becoming "Headline Label0".

11 hours ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Kamala charisma down -1 

People forget just how poorly she did in the debate. Not a sure bet at all she wins if she runs in 2024. 

Maybe, but both Pence and Harris are better debaters than Trump and Biden, IMHO.

You can disagree if you wish, but that is my personal opinon.

1 hour ago, IndependentPerson said:

Maybe, but both Pence and Harris are better debaters than Trump and Biden, IMHO.

I don’t think this is the case at all. 

I will say though, I have personal issues with Pence. I came closest to not voting for Trump twice:

(1) 2016 when he picked Pence for VP

(2) 2020 when Pence was berating Kamala on abortion during the debate 

Mike Pence is a loathsome individual and represents everything wrong with the republican party.

I think Trump is the strongest debater of the lot anyhow. Not because he’s strong objectively, but he brings everybody else down. The only debate he has not dominated was the first one in the 2016 general. He was too passive with Hillary and let her lead the way.

1 hour ago, IndependentPerson said:

Trump won the Primary in 2016 bc of his debates particularly against Jeb Bush, and ended any momentum Rubio Cruz had with his slugfest debates vs them. I also believe his 2nd debate after the Access Hollywood tape was the best of his political time so far. 

I can't comment on Biden, I don't find him that all "there" now a days, but he had 2 fantastic VP debates.

I don't see what Kamala did that makes you think she's a strong debater. She had that great bussing moment against Biden, but other than that no one responded to her. She universally lost her debate against Pence, and couldn't even make it to Iowa despite massive name recognition and media support. Pence did fantastic against both her and Kaine, very similar in effectiveness to how Biden did vs Palin and that other guy. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Does that mean we'll get smaller updates in between 2021 and 2022 (versions, not years), or just a "2021 Official" after 2021.1.0?

Not sure what this means. 2021 will have major releases for the next few months. Then anything else will be minor updates (for example, bug fixes) until 2022 is released.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

Anthony, I gotta say I appreciate all the work you did in the 2020 Primaries scenario.  I'm trying to make my own 2000 (different universe) Presidential scenario and these primaries polls are close to making me tear my hair out lol.

It gets complex, doesn't it? I wasn't the main 2020 campaign designer, though - props to @vcczar who did most of keeping track of the primaries polls.

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, IndependentPerson said:

I dunno about this. How would Biden have handled the Gabbard attack that helped grease the slope Harris rode down to withdrawing from the primaries? Probably better.

Trump was very good at handling many key moments in the 2016 debates (including the first one - Megan Kelly's first question for him in which he completely replaced her frame and got the audience cheering for him), was rusty for the 1st 2020 debate, and then won the 2nd 2020 debate, IMO.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:39 PM, PoliticalPundit said:

Kamala charisma down -1 

People forget just how poorly she did in the debate. Not a sure bet at all she wins if she runs in 2024. 

Since you're just laughing at all my posts @TheLiberalKitten I will do the same to you. 

Oh wait, you never post here and add nothing to this board of value. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Anthony_270 said:

I dunno about this. How would Biden have handled the Gabbard attack that helped grease the slope Harris rode down to withdrawing from the primaries? Probably better.

Trump was very good at handling many key moments in the 2016 debates (including the first one - Megan Kelly's first question for him in which he completely replaced her frame and got the audience cheering for him), was rusty for the 1st 2020 debate, and then won the 2nd 2020 debate, IMO.

13 hours ago, IndependentPerson said:

I think the debate skill should probably capture the style of the debaters, although the game might include this at some level. 

For instance, I'd break them down this way:

1. You have classical debaters who score on incisive points, facts, logic.
  2. You have debaters that focus on their own experience and are great at using this experience to connect to every facet of debate. 
  3. You have defensive debaters. These are those that are reactionary and are often better when they are being attacked, then when they are instigating the attack. They might rather be attacked than debated with. They're spin masters. 
  4. You debaters that connect with the human experience. They're excellent at focusing on people and not on themself. When they do focus on themself its as a symbol of those that are listening. They focus on hope for the future out of tragedy or misfortune. 
  5. You have the sort of salesman debaters. Those who are primarily trying to sell themselves in the image that they want to be portrayed as. Their focus is very self-focused. When they talk about others, it generally in response to how they'll be best suited to help the others to lead them to better times. 
  6. You have the sound bite debaters. These are debaters who seem focused primarily in saying the one thing people will remember from the debate. They bide their time until they have the right moment to respond to something in some memorable way. 
  7. You have the attackers, who think they can win best by just being aggressive, especially towards the frontrunner. 

A lot of debaters will employ many of these tactics, but only some are good at multiple ones. I think a lot of the older debaters rank highly in #1, but that isn't so important any more as #4, #5, and #6. The last one, #7, is often a desperation move. 

Out of Biden, Harris, and Trump. I think Harris was probably best in #1 (Young Biden would beat here here). They all do well in #2. Trump is best at #3. Biden is best at #4. Trump is best at #5. None of them are good at #6 (at least not intentionally). Biden tries harder at #6. Harris for #7 as Trump is better at attacking when being defensive. 

• Upvote 1

IMO you have one type of debater and it's a persuasive one. That's why Obama and Trump succeeded in elections. They stood out amongst the other "status quo" candidates of their party, and did a fantastic job attacking and blasting their opponent (Trump far better against Clinton than Biden who never got much to stick against him). 

A lot of the other categories you describe are all clumped into the same "standard politician" debater, you're just mentioning different tactics they use.