270soft Forum

Price structure for games

Anthony_270

I have received a significant amount of feedback from people about the subscription plan. Basically, it seems most people don't like it.

I'm open to changing how the Infinity games work in the future. Perhaps switching out the subscription for campaign-specific add-ons.

Would you prefer a one-time base product and then add-on for each election cycle? Or would you rather a subscription? Or something else?

Feedback and ideas welcome!

Anthony - The current system works for me, but alternatives are fine too. Maybe this would be okay if you want to move away from a subscription model:

Base Game - $15.00 (deals for buying more than one)

Editor - $5.00

Future Official Campaigns - $2.50 each

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, populist86 said:

Anthony - The current system works for me, but alternatives are fine too. Maybe this would be okay if you want to move away from a subscription model:

Base Game - $15.00 (deals for buying more than one)

Editor - $5.00

Future Official Campaigns - $2.50 each

That's an interesting idea - separate out the Editor, which is how it was in President Forever 2008.

Perhaps different official campaigns at different price points to reflect time put into creating and updating them.

5 hours ago, admin_270 said:

I have received a significant amount of feedback from people about the subscription plan. Basically, it seems most people don't like it.

I'm open to changing how the Infinity games work in the future. Perhaps switching out the subscription for campaign-specific add-ons.

Would you prefer a one-time base product and then add-on for each election cycle? Or would you rather a subscription? Or something else?

Feedback and ideas welcome!

Call me old-fashioned, but I miss the halcyon, good-old days of "fire-and-forget," game purchases (not subscriptions, but PURCHASES) when the whole game (barring comprehensive and sparingly-released expansions of significant new content) was available at once with one transaction. Where has this Golden Age of computer gone?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patine said:

Call me old-fashioned, but I miss the halcyon, good-old days of "fire-and-forget," game purchases (not subscriptions, but PURCHASES) when the whole game (barring comprehensive and sparingly-released expansions of significant new content) was available at once with one transaction. Where has this Golden Age of computer gone?

There's something to be said for this. The change is that companies can now update games relatively easily.

12 minutes ago, Hestia11 said:

I think it wouldnt really help and people would just rely on the custom scenarios.

What would be wrong with that? I barely play the official scenarios as is, myself. I buy the game mostly to make and play custom scenarios. You make it sound like that would be a bad thing.

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

I personally don't like the paying for each scenario. Then can people pick and choose which to pay for? I think it wouldnt really help and people would just rely on the custom scenarios.

Yes, I would imagine people picking and choosing. Yes, it's a problem vis a vis custom campaigns, and a big reason why the subscription route was chosen.

As a developer, I like the idea of yearly releases for PI. Nov. release PI 2022, which includes major new features as well as minor updates (bug fixes) until PI 2023, which is released the next Nov. Could purchase to gain access to Beta leading up to Nov. official release.

CI would naturally have CI 2022 released summer 2022, then CI 2024 released summer 2024, and so on.

PMI would naturally have releases in election years (variable).

13 minutes ago, admin_270 said:

PMI is a pain because of variable election dates. Canada might have an election this spring, for example.

Curse PMI :P

A CHANCELLOR INFINITY GAME ENGAME WOULD BE A LOT BETTER THAN AN ELECTION UPDATE TBH

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jayavarman said:

@admin_270 Start developing and marketing PI 2024: The Return of Trump.

Re-release PI 2020: Stop the Steal.  You will go viral and make lots of money.

Now, now. This is supposed to be an election simulator based on sensible grounding and a practical view of events with minimal bias - not a pop-culture, primetime adult cartoon, dystopian pander.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hestia11 said:

We'll see if he can return :P 

2 hours ago, admin_270 said:

Make it into a trilogy ...

PI 2016: A New Party

PI 2020: The Democrats Strike Back

PI 2024: The Return of Trump

Nice! even if a bit partisan.

Comparing Trump's inner circle to a reforming Jedi Order, and by default the Democrats to a Galactic Empire? Now that's just plain lame and cringeworthy - and ludicrously hyperbolic. I look forward to the day when I won't have to see Trump's face or hear or read his name - either being praised by his braindead lackeys, or yet another, "joke's on Trump," stupid article by his opponents, and he's only be seen the rare time Carter, Clinton, and the Bushes usually were. I am just bone sick of his overexposure, especially because he's just a narcissistic, sensationalist chump who doesn't even remotely live up to grandiose status either his followers OR opponents attribute to him. To the Pastures of Ignomanity with him - the fate he REALLY deserves!

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Comparing Trump's inner circle to a reforming Jedi Order, and by default the Democrats to a Galactic Empire? Now that's just plain lame and cringeworthy - and ludicrously hyperbolic. I look forward to the day when I won't have to see Trump's face or hear or read his name - either being praised by his braindead lackeys, or yet another, "joke's on Trump," stupid article by his opponents, and he's only be seen the rare time Carter, Clinton, and the Bushes usually were. I just sick of his overexposure, especially because he's just a narcissistic, sensationalist chump who doesn't even remotely live up to grandiose status either his followers OR opponents attribute to him. To the Pastures of Ignomanity with - the fate he REALLY deserves!

"Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!" 😆

1 minute ago, admin_270 said:

"Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!" 😆

I swear, I will put you and that other guy on ignore if you invoke Trump in a Star Wars reference again! 😬

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I swear, I will put you and that other guy on ignore if you invoke Trump in a Star Wars reference again! 😬

I'm afraid the Trump references will be quite operational

(sorry, you set that up too well 😛)

On 1/14/2021 at 12:30 PM, admin_270 said:

Another option is yearly new versions. So you purchase PI 2020, then get updates to that until a major update which is PI 2021, for which you can pay a discounted price, and so on.

This might be the best option. I guess it is sort of a subscription model, but one that is more firmly placed around a major event (that is, an update).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

This might be the best option. I guess it is sort of a subscription model, but one that is more firmly placed around a major event (that is, an update).

Yes, I like the idea of having more time to prepare a major new version. People then aren't buying a pig in a poke - they can see the new features the 2022 version has when it's released.