270soft Forum

Next update thread

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

It would be nice if @admin_270would even update the Chancellor Forever engine to the Infinity game standard. He hasn't, despite myself and others bringing it up for several YEARS! The games on the Infinity standard ONLY currently cover presidential elections, and FPTP and Australian system legislative elections, and NOTHING ELSE! They even lack competent coalition-building AI mechanics in PMI and CI, and I still don't believe, if I'm not mistaken, that a PI scenario can have both primary elections and popular vote in the same scenario. This is a big part of the issue I've been going on about.

From what I know, there's only 1 person working on all these games. So why would you expect a single person to do all these things when there are like 100 different things to do? We've got U.K., Australia, Canada, American Presidential, American Congressional elections to already work on. Why do you expect one person to add even more to that plate? Even then, there's the problem with having to update the engines of each game. Yeah, copy-pasting would be SUCH a great solution, but it doesn't work like that,  especially when you've got to go from a game which isn't even on the same standard as others. I hate to be a mean person, but maybe either offer to help or maybe just be nice like the rest of us and let the person in charge do their job? I understand the desire to see new things in the games. I'd love to see more U.S. historical things get put in. But it's hard work, especially when you've already got a growing list of items on the backlog. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you had never joined this forum, we would still be having political discussions. 

Because that means you're an idiot snowflake who cant take anything even though you brought on a stupid conversation. Ban super, ban anyone, ban me for all I care. Super was commenting on a topic you

Believe it or not, while it may be a minority of people, some would like to see what Patine is talking about be realized, even if it is a small chance. I enjoy K4E and PMI more than I do PI. It's a ma

Posted Images

@admin_270Another almost unrepresented, but very unfortunately true and real, aspect that should be in these games is the effects of regulatory capture on modern politics - especially in the United States, and possible scandal for politicians and parties caught engaging in it, as well as, to a lesser degree, their ill-gotten benefitting clients, in a "red hands," or "smoking gun," type of scenario.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

@admin_270Another almost unrepresented, but very unfortunately true and real, aspect that should be in these games is the effects of regulatory capture on modern politics - especially in the United States, and possible scandal for politicians and parties caught engaging in it, as well as, to a lesser degree, their ill-gotten benefitting clients, in a "red hands," or "smoking gun," type of scenario.

To some extent that is captured by Endorsers. However, there's no scandal aspect to Endorsers - interesting idea.

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

To some extent that is captured by Endorsers. However, there's no scandal aspect to Endorsers - interesting idea.

What about having negative momentum for endorsers? You know, like Trump gets endorsed by David Duke and it gives him negative momentum? Because, I think Duke's endorsement actually hurt his campaign somewhat.

5 hours ago, Jinsu Kim said:

What about having negative momentum for endorsers? You know, like Trump gets endorsed by David Duke and it gives him negative momentum? Because, I think Duke's endorsement actually hurt his campaign somewhat.

Negative momentum for certain regions would be great in events for scenarios!

For example, event might be "Government bans keystone pipeline."

California +1 they liked that.

North Dakota -1 because they don't approve of the government. 

2 hours ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Negative momentum for certain regions would be great in events for scenarios!

For example, event might be "Government bans keystone pipeline."

California +1 they liked that.

North Dakota -1 because they don't approve of the government. 

We do have events that boost/harm momentum and importance of issues, such as the list of events which make the 1980 scenario increasingly easy for a juiced-up Reagan the closer Election day gets.

9 hours ago, Jinsu Kim said:

Ya, could have more nuanced Endorser effects. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

We do have events that boost/harm momentum and importance of issues, such as the list of events which make the 1980 scenario increasingly easy for a juiced-up Reagan the closer Election day gets.

Yes but I was referred to state momentum for events.

Right now it's just national momentum that can be modified in the editor. 

37 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Yes but I was referred to state momentum for events.

Right now it's just national momentum that can be modified in the editor. 

2 hours ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

@admin_270In P4E2008 (it's amazing how many good ideas got dropped from that in the change into PI), each candidate had a selection of regional (State in U.S. scenarios, which could be other things in other polities) momentum bonus or penalty for as many or as few of them as a scenario designer deigned to fill out upon nomination, or starting in the general, that altered that candidate's starting (or sitting, if they won the Primaries in game) regional percentages for their party's baseline starting polling. I believe that's part of what @TheLiberalKitten my be trying to say.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

@admin_270In P4E2008 (it's amazing how many good ideas got dropped from that in the change into PI), each candidate had a selection of regional (State in U.S. scenarios, which could be other things in other polities) momentum bonus or penalty for as many or as few of them as a scenario designer to fill out upon nomination, or starting in the general, that altered that candidate's starting (or sitting, if they won the Primaries in game) regional percentages for their party's baseline starting polling. I believe that's part of what @TheLiberalKitten my be trying to say.

You mean regional % bonuses for a given candidate? That's in PI, but when the game switched to Favorability, the % changes no longer worked properly. That's part of what I'm working on right now.

Just now, admin_270 said:

You mean regional % bonuses for a given candidate? That's in PI, but when the game switched to Favorability, the % changes no longer worked properly. That's part of what I'm working on right now.

Ah. You weren't clear on that.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

@admin_270In P4E2008 (it's amazing how many good ideas got dropped from that in the change into PI), each candidate had a selection of regional (State in U.S. scenarios, which could be other things in other polities) momentum bonus or penalty for as many or as few of them as a scenario designer deigned to fill out upon nomination, or starting in the general, that altered that candidate's starting (or sitting, if they won the Primaries in game) regional percentages for their party's baseline starting polling. I believe that's part of what @TheLiberalKitten my be trying to say.

Actually I was referring to events added to scenarios, instead of the event adding national momentum as it does now. I was referring that it could add momentum to certain states as an option. 

1 hour ago, admin_270 said:

Ya, could have more nuanced Endorser effects. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Actually I was referring to events added to scenarios, instead of the event adding national momentum as it does now. I was referring that it could add momentum to certain states as an option. 

Another good one that combines these two, especially if a functional demographics system is made, is a candidate openly refuting an endorsement, but gaining a momentum boost in a region or among a demographic bloc in some way antagonistic or adversarial to the interests of the endorser.

1 minute ago, Supreme Incompetent Leader said:

What's this about? Twofold question:

1 why did you post this (just asking),

2 Is this pertanant to 270soft? (are we getting SPACE ELECTIONS in the future?!?! Haha)

Just a random thought. 😀

• Haha 1
On 1/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, Patine said:

Any nation's elections that are not thoroughly rigged, predetermined, corrupted, or one-choice-referendums are worthy subject material for scenarios for an election simulator like this one. The great majority of the custom scenarios I make - and most enjoy playing - are in countries and polities outside the United States, and, in fact, American political culture is among the most boring and uninteresting out there. I'd like to see the scenario making options expand to a generic toolkit to make custom options around the world and across electoral history for readily and easily possible.

Again.. catering the game to 1 specific player's desires and interests are not helpful to @admin_270 trying to earn profit from a game where I'd guess 90% of the buyer's are Americans and are solely interested or understand American election. 

Even governor/mayor/etc races that admin makes are pretty niche. 

15 minutes ago, PoliticalPundit said:

Again.. catering the game to 1 specific player's desires and interests are not helpful to @admin_270 trying to earn profit from a game where I'd guess 90% of the buyer's are Americans and are solely interested or understand American election. 

Even governor/mayor/etc races that admin makes are pretty niche. 

Not "just one" player wants expansions of game options to adequately simulate non-American or non-FPTP/Australian system elections in general, even as option for fanmade scenarios. Even a fair number of those players wanting such expanded options ARE actually American, but amazingly enough, understand, appreciate, and have a desire to create and play scenario material around non-American elections. But saying one player does is a very common, but highly disingenuous and underhanded, tactic to dismiss viewpoints or marketing desires that ones doesn't like and to downplay in a derisive and unbecoming manner. This tactic is especially transparent when you use it.

• Like 1

Been changing some things in the core game engine classes as Voting Blocs is implemented.

The next release won't have a Voting Blocs option for campaign designers - that probably won't happen for awhile. Instead, all campaigns without a voting_blocs file will automatically generate voting blocs. The Voting Bloc Categories are Regions, then Parties. Each of the Voting Blocs within those Categories have Platforms, which are specified by the already existing political_units and parties files.

So, things will look pretty much the same as they do know, but the architecture will be changed to actually use a Voting Blocs system.

• Thanks 1